• 1 Post By hawk14dl
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: Size and Strength

gainz4dayz17 is offline New Member

Question Size and Strength

Hello everyone,

For reference, I am 5'8", 23, ~165, and sub 10% BF (5 weeks out from contest).

After this show I plan on taking a pretty long building season before stepping on stage again. My plan is to build strength in the big 3 as well as OHP.

At the start of each workout, dependent on what I was training that day, my plan was to follow Mike O'Hearn's Power Bodybuilding scheme for bench, squat, deads, and OHP followed by a normal high volume bodybuilding workout.

Does anyone have experience in this type of routine? Any advice?

Thanks for reading,

-gainz

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    I'd just read Marcus' diary in the lounge. He uses HIT to gain size,and since the rep ranges are lower then traditional bb'ing, there's strength benefits as well
    marcus300 likes this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can certainly incorporate some PL training into your routine and it should fill in the gaps for you nicely. I now take the approach of trying to become a stronger bodybuilder and will cycle my training so that a portion of it is geared towards straight PL training, maintenance, body building, etc. i don't know the person you speak of exact workout as I rarely follow any you tube workouts.
    marcus300 likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    While PL style training will help with size somewhat, if you plan on competing in BB competition don't neglect your training other bodyparts or you may end up unbalanced looking. By getting stronger in the powerlifts you should be able to tranfer some of that strength over to other movements making them even more effective. If you train heavy consistently you may experience some CNS stress that will affect your other training so you may need a deload week or workout every so often to avoid injury and maintain your intensity.
    marcus300 likes this.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The texas method is a really good linear program to focus on the big 3, since it's only 3 days a week there's also 2-3 more days you could add additional bodybuilding work.

I'm doing a similar thing (focused on the big 3, but still getting bigger) with DUP (daily undulating periodization) and i'm basically benching 3x, squatting twice and deadlifting properly once. Bench reps go 6/4/2 (sets - 3/6/6, with secondary barbell movements on all days, close grip, wide grip, spoto press etc) then squat reps go 5x5, 3x3 and deadlift is the coan/phillipi deadlift program once a week. I do bodybuilding accessory on all days except legs (still do calves tho).

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post
    I'd just read Marcus' diary in the lounge. He uses HIT to gain size,and since the rep ranges are lower then traditional bb'ing, there's strength benefits as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    You can certainly incorporate some PL training into your routine and it should fill in the gaps for you nicely. I now take the approach of trying to become a stronger bodybuilder and will cycle my training so that a portion of it is geared towards straight PL training, maintenance, body building, etc. i don't know the person you speak of exact workout as I rarely follow any you tube workouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    While PL style training will help with size somewhat, if you plan on competing in BB competition don't neglect your training other bodyparts or you may end up unbalanced looking. By getting stronger in the powerlifts you should be able to tranfer some of that strength over to other movements making them even more effective. If you train heavy consistently you may experience some CNS stress that will affect your other training so you may need a deload week or workout every so often to avoid injury and maintain your intensity.
    All good advice ^^^^ be consistant in your approach and make sure you rest and don't train to often, listen to your body. Not sure of the program Mike advices but give it try and best of luck
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information