Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Training with an injury

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member

Training with an injury

Sometimes when we train a certain muscle group we experience some pain that qualifies that body part to be less then 100%.....there are many ways to deal with it, sometimes an anti inflammatory works, time off, medical attention but here's something you can try. Do all of your accessory work first prior to your compound movements. This way by the time you get to your compound movement/s you are totally warmed up and there is plenty of blood flow occurring. I recently tried this approach after tweaking my hamstring and would only really feel it at the very bottom of my squat. This injury/trauma most likely occurred from totally bottoming out with my squat which is a few inches (if that ) more them I was used to. The point is that you could apply this to any nagging injury and have a more pain free workout. Your poundages won't be where they usually are but your workouts will be productive and you will put yourself at less risk. Try it!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Awesome post. Switching things up is vital to find perfection in our workouts. Injury sadly is a big part of this. Especially as people age. I'm still considered "young", not 18 like my profile says, but I'm young and even I have had to deal with a couple injuries.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    interesting idea, bb. it makes sense to me. right now, i'm nursing a few things and have found that focused warm ups help (shoulder and knee) , and accessory first then compound (hip).

Quote Originally Posted by bartman314
    interesting idea, bb. it makes sense to me. right now, i'm nursing a few things and have found that focused warm ups help (shoulder and knee) , and accessory first then compound (hip).
    Yes, exactly! You have to be smart and this is in no way meant for a guy/girl with a tear. But.....instead if smashing a body part right off the bat and causing further damage, get that blood in there.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Getting nice and warm before difficult movements is critical, but the primary compound movements are also where the most potential for injury lay, so doing them fatigued leaves more room for error leaving more room for injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    Getting nice and warm before difficult movements is critical, but the primary compound movements are also where the most potential for injury lay, so doing them fatigued leaves more room for error leaving more room for injury.
    At that point you really can't go full bore. This concept isn't really intended if you are training with max poundages. For example I would swap traditional squats with front squats.
    Khazima likes this.

Thread Information