Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB

Thread: What Do You Think & Why???

littlerj is offline New Member

What Do You Think & Why???

O.k. Guys, I've never posted on this forum prior to this, but I've been confused or at the very least you could say wondering what the average bodybuilder thinks about workout frequency and muscle recovery?
    You see, I'm one of those guys who work a bodypart basically once a week when I'm not doing a cycle, which is usually twice a year 12-16 weeks each time. My routine is usually
    Day 1 - Legs (Quads)
    Day 2 - Back & Rear Delts
    Day 3 - Shoulders (front & side delts & traps)
    Day 4 - Biceps
    Day 5 - Legs (Hams & Calves)
    Day 6 - Triceps
    Day 7 - Rest Day (but I do a minimum of 45 mins cardio & abs)
    * I do at least 30 mins of cardio every other day, but if I feel good (which isn't usually quad day) I do cardio everyday. I do abs on bi's & tri's days and any other day I choose.

Now....I blast the shit out of the one bodypart that I hit with moderate to heavy weight that allows me to do strick movements with 6-12 reps. I throw in drop sets or forced frequently, but not always depending on my pump. Here's the breakdown of total sets. Basically, not counting 1 quick warm up for each exercise or any drop sets, etc.

Quads - 3 exercises, 12-15 sets
    Back and Rear Delts - 3 & 1exercises - 12-15 sets for back & 3 for rear delts
    Shoulders - 3 & 1 exercises - 9 sets for delts & 3 for traps
    Biceps - 3 exercises - 8-9 sets (usually 3, 3, 2 or 3 if needed)
    Hams & Calves - 3 & 1 or 2 exercises - 10 sets for hams (4, 3, 3) & 4 sets or 2 & 2
    Triceps - 9 sets - 3 exercises

I use the same exercises every other week, alternating.
    Example - Triceps
    Week 1 - cable pushdown with bar, skull crushers on incline bench, one- arm overhead dumbell extentions
    Week 2 - cable pushdowns with cable or
    rope sitting on incline bench (facing outward), skull crushers on decline bench,
    one arm reverse grip cable pushdowns.
    Repeat

O.K.....here is the main question. I workout as intense as I can while maintaining strict movement, get a good pump all the time and I am so f-----n sore the next day and 95% of the time I am still sore right up to the day before I am to hit the same bodypart again. So for me, common sense and evetything I know and have read tells me I need those 5 days of recovery. But, I have Tom, Dick and Harry telling me that I am undertraining and need to hit my bodyparts at least two times a week even when I'm not on a cycle.

I make solid size gains when I use gear and then my 1 bodypart a week off gear routine maintains most of my size and shape until the next cycle. I lose hardness and vascularity, but I maintain well.

My main question is this. Should you workout a bodypart even though it's still sore as hell? That doesn't make sense to me. You break the muscle down during your workout and growth occurs during rest period and food intake. Why would I hit a bodypart again when it's still sore?
    If I'm juicing (example Test Cyp, Deca or Primo, Mast or EQ, maybe 4 weeks of Anadrol or D-Bol) then I'm gonna recover faster and need a routine that hits bodyparts twiceca week. Maybe 4 on 1 off or 2 on 1 off, 2 bodyparts a workout on a push-pull system. Ex. - Legs, Chest & Tri's, Back & Bi's, Shoulders & Traps.

So....what do you guys say???

Doesn't the muscle need to recover before you hit it again if it's still sore?

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    So you dont train chest????

IMO if you train properly to failure you should only hit muscles once a week. Muscles grow while you rest not by the amount of time you are in the gym.
    almostgone likes this.

littlerj is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    So you dont train chest????

IMO if you train properly to failure you should only hit muscles once a week. Muscles grow while you rest not by the amount of time you are in the gym.
    Thank you for answering my post.

I wrote a somewhat of a long post that I forgot to mention that I was in a car accident 6 days ago and my chest is bruised like a banana from banging into the steering wheel and just working out any upper bodypart hurts my chest. So doc said give it two weeks minimum, so I'll start hitting it again in a week.

Once I hit chest again my one bodypart a day routine will be

1) Quads
    2) Chest
    3) Back & Rear Delts
    4) Triceps
    5) Hams
    6) Biceps
    7) Shoulders & Traps
    8) Rest

This is exactly 7 days/1 week rest between each bodypart.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    Why not just take the two weeks off from lifting? You could do other forms of exercises such as bw or hiking or anything like that.

Thread Information