Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By energizer bunny

Thread: is this guy crazy? or. . .?

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member

is this guy crazy? or. . .?

I'm nearing a wall on my 5/3/1 program. I've gone from easily finishing the sets +2, to finishing the sets +1.. Now I'm pushing HARD to just finish the sets. I feel like I'm probably going to fail soon which will mean 1step backward.

So, i see a post about adding 30 lbs to the bench In 2 months. Naturally im skeptical, but i check it out anyways.

What do you think? It goes against all conventional wisdom. . But could it work?
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...ench-most-dayz

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When you fail reps on 5/3/1 and linear programs of the like, you just reduce the weight by 10-15lb on that specific lift and start the process again, over time on a graph it looks like a wave trending upwards.

As for the bench most days program, i think it's solid personally. It's bulgarian style mixed with pump work and the guys squat every day program is impeccable, people see massive increases in squat and bench strength with programs like these. It's less volume than smolov JR for bench (which is 4 days with a 6x6, 7x5, 8x4 and 10x3) which works incredibly for quick increases in bench progress.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Im doing something similar, im squatting and Overhead pressing 4 x a week. Not as high volume as the SMOLOV JR though.

tuesday is 5x5 at 75% 1RM
    wednesday is 3x5 at 80% 1 RM
    Friday is 5x3 at 85% 1RM
    Saturday is 5x singles or doubles at 90%

i do accessory work after each session also.
    progressively adding weight or reps each week. my target is to hit %110 1 RM, running it for 5 weeks. on week 4 now and repping 1RM for 3
    Last edited by energizer bunny; 06-19-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: running it for 5, not 6 weeks
    Khazima likes this.

Blog Entries
    I've done wave loading 7-5-3 for 3 sets, and gained significant strength increase. I would add 5lbs each wave and each subsequent workout. If you feel like you are hitting a wall try switching it up for one week then reset.

Thread Information