Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaspaco

Thread: Age old question should i keep weights reps the same while cutting

enigma10 is offline Member

Age old question should i keep weights reps the same while cutting

I tell ya this question is like using PC vs Mac it never gets old, so long story short, i am 33, 280lbs, bf 27+ and workout 5 days a week.

So i use to be on test and tren about 2 years ago and i kept my diet clean while hitting hard, i never cut....never, just came into the gym and hit hard and increased metal weight.

But life hits you, work family etc and i have gone from 5 days a week to 1-2, i honestly try but no go, so my question is, i can get my macros in check but what about weight, i want to gain strength and loose fat...tho this could be a head banger i want to know should i try to hit the same weight and eat less or high reps low weight...i need results.

Thanks

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    I do 6-12 depending on exercice

Both during cutting and bulking
    enigma10 likes this.

But i'm allot weaker when in the lower calorie weight

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Lift as heavy as you can for 6-8 reps on your working set. Check out Marcus's thread in Lounge - http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-l...ary%2A%2A.html

It's all about going your hardest on your working set, cuttin or not. Doesn't matter. If you're a lot weaker, maybe you are cutting your calories too much. Maybe just add more light cardio instead.

The only reasonthe myth of lighter weights and higher reps for cutting ever started was because you can't lift the same heavy weight with less fuel. But, you still lift as heavy as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett N View Post
    Lift as heavy as you can for 6-8 reps on your working set. Check out Marcus's thread in Lounge - http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-l...ary%2A%2A.html

It's all about going your hardest on your working set, cuttin or not. Doesn't matter. If you're a lot weaker, maybe you are cutting your calories too much. Maybe just add more light cardio instead.

The only reasonthe myth of lighter weights and higher reps for cutting ever started was because you can't lift the same heavy weight with less fuel. But, you still lift as heavy as you can.
    So my reps when not cutting are 12,10,8 and usally 5 of sets on different days...keep this the same or drop my reps ?

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    After reading Marcus diary, I no longer do more than one working set of any lift. Read the diary, you will learn how to grow.

No idea what your workout is. I work each body part once a week. Monday is chest and biceps. Tuesday back. Wednesday rest. Thursday delta and triceps. Friday legs.

I do different lifts for each body part but each lift I do has a couple warmup sets and one working set with 6-8 reps being the max I can do with that weight. I then do a couple rest/pause lifts with same weight and occasionally do a drop set or two.

This is HIT lifting. It's all explained in that thread. If you lift like that, You will only be able to do one working set per lift. 45 minutes in gym 4 times a week for me. Sometimes an hour and sometimes less than 45 but not much.

Trust me, start reading that thread and it will change everything that you think you know about lifting. At least it did for me and I'm definitely still learning.

MaxxPursuit is offline Banned
    I generally train the same way whether bulking or cutting. Adding low rep, high intensity lifting will help maintain strength when cutting. In my opinion, getting lean is a huge mental game. 27% bf is a decent amount of bf. Strength shouldn't be significantly affected until you get fairly low in bf%. It's usually the deficit that creates lower energy that makes you feel weaker/more easily fatigued. One thing you want to focus on is nutrition. Don't do a direct cut in calories, taper down and create a deficit through balancing both training and nutrition. You can also try to strategically consume carbs around your training to help aid with energy/fatigue. I hear from people all the time that once they start cutting they get much weaker but that shouldn't be the case especially in the beginning. As far as rep ranges go - you can continue training in the 8-12 rep range and add some variations in there like Brett said 6-8 heavy as possible would be beneficial. An example could be heavy compounds 6-8 with some isolation work 8-12.

Thread Information