Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By Khazima

Thread: Upper/lower split for strength and size

TheEspada is offline Junior Member

Upper/lower split for strength and size

I wanna try this split for a natural lifter which goal is to build strength and size

Day 1 upper :
    1: Bench press 3 sets X 5reps , 2: one-arm row 3 sets X 8-10 reps , 3: Incline dumbbell press 3 sets X 8-10 reps , 4: chinups 3 sets X 8-10 reps , 5: cable lateral raises 2 sets X 15-25 reps
    6: Cable curls 2 sets X 8-10 reps , 7: triceps push-downs 2 sets X 8-10 reps

Day 2 lower :
    1: Squats 3 sets X 5 reps , 2: lunges 3 sets X 10 reps, 3: leg curls 3 sets X 10 reps, 4: Calf standing machine 4 sets X 15 reps, 5: abs and lower back

Day 3 rest

Day 4 upper :
    1: Over-head barbell press 3 sets X 5 reps, 2: pull-ups 3 sets X 8-10 reps, 3: flat dumbbell press 3 sets X 8-10 reps, 4: seated rows 3 sets X 8-10 reps, 5: cable cross or machine flyes 2 sets X 12-15 reps, 6: ez-barbell curls 2 sets X 8-10 reps, 7: skull crushers 2 sets X 8-10 reps

Day 5 rest

Day 6 lower :
    1: Deadlifts 1 set X 5 reps, 2: leg press 3 sets X 8-10 reps, leg curls 3 sets X 10 reps, 4: calf standing machine 4 sets X 15 reps, 5: abs and lower back

Day 7 rest

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Looks fine to me but in all honesty i'd do more volume, or at least have high intensity for all the accessory work. The upper/lower split i'm basically running right now is;

Upper
    Lower
    Rest
    Upper
    Lower
    Rest
    Rest

And all upper workouts are basically bench/shoulder press/flies/pull-ups(or downs) and 5-6 sets of different rows as well, then some biceps and maybe a little triceps. That's the primary workout then the second workout will have more volume as a hypertrophy focused workout, with probably an extra set or two for triceps, add incline bench and some extra back.

Then lower is pretty much always squat/deadlift (deadlift once, on the first (strength) day usually) then add some supersets like leg press/calf raises (just to get the raises in) or leg extension/leg curl etc etc.
    TheEspada likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Looks fine to me but in all honesty i'd do more volume, or at least have high intensity for all the accessory work. The upper/lower split i'm basically running right now is;

Upper
    Lower
    Rest
    Upper
    Lower
    Rest
    Rest

And all upper workouts are basically bench/shoulder press/flies/pull-ups(or downs) and 5-6 sets of different rows as well, then some biceps and maybe a little triceps. That's the primary workout then the second workout will have more volume as a hypertrophy focused workout, with probably an extra set or two for triceps, add incline bench and some extra back.

Then lower is pretty much always squat/deadlift (deadlift once, on the first (strength) day usually) then add some supersets like leg press/calf raises (just to get the raises in) or leg extension/leg curl etc etc.
    so i add like couple of sets to the arm movements or one set would be enough and maybe sometime superset them ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEspada View Post
    so i add like couple of sets to the arm movements or one set would be enough and maybe sometime superset them ?
    Yeah i like to superset my arm movements, just something i like to do, but overall i'd add more volume to everything, benching and OHP for both days plus rows and pull-ups on both days, then squats for both days but deadlift once on the main leg day.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Yeah i like to superset my arm movements, just something i like to do, but overall i'd add more volume to everything, benching and OHP for both days plus rows and pull-ups on both days, then squats for both days but deadlift once on the main leg day.
    Sorry to be annoying but could you give me more detailed info on how to change the volume like '' 5 sets X 5 reps '' etc and keep in consideration that i am lifting naturally

Quote Originally Posted by TheEspada View Post
    Sorry to be annoying but could you give me more detailed info on how to change the volume like '' 5 sets X 5 reps '' etc and keep in consideration that i am lifting naturally
    Well the first day I'd have a different focus than the second day so like 3x8 for the main movements on the first day then 5x3 om the second day focusing on hypertrophy then strength and progressively adding a little bit of weight each week. Then for the secondary movements they'll mostly be focused in the 8-12 range except for the main ones like OHP or close grip bench and dumbbell bench u could change from 6-8 to 10-12 for strength or hypertrophy days. Still around 3-5 sets.
    TheEspada likes this.

mike198 is offline Associate Member
    5/3/1 gets my vote. Follow it as it is written and you will get bigger and stronger. Been on it over a year myself

Thread Information