Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 3 Post By marcus300

Thread: Deadlift question!!

yeahbuddy289 is online now Knowledgeable Member

Deadlift question!!

For all you guys that do deadlifts, do you go with a wide stance and a narrow grip, or a narrow stance and a wide grip? And what is the difference between the two?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I assume you're talking about conventional deadlifts. It's completely individual and depends on ones leverages and strengths. I have shortish arms, so to maximise my arm length i need them pointing straight down, due to my shoulder width this ends out being quite narrow and forces my feet to be closer. This also makes me use more lower back rather than a wider more hip dominant stance.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I assume you're talking about conventional deadlifts. It's completely individual and depends on ones leverages and strengths. I have shortish arms, so to maximise my arm length i need them pointing straight down, due to my shoulder width this ends out being quite narrow and forces my feet to be closer. This also makes me use more lower back rather than a wider more hip dominant stance.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=cabdi...%20stance&sm=3

Yeah straight bar deadlifts... I see some people grip narrow (hands inside feet) and some people grip wide (hands outside of feet)

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    "wide", "narrow" - these are relative terms. when i do deadlifts, my heels are about 10-12 inches apart, toes pointed slightly outward, hands just outside my legs. go from there, as per "starting strength" by mark rippetoe.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289
    Yeah straight bar deadlifts... I see some people grip narrow (hands inside feet) and some people grip wide (hands outside of feet)
    "Hands inside feet"= sumo
    "Hands outside feet"= conventional

Sumo targets hips and quads more than conventional.
    Conventional targets hamstrings and lower back more than sumo.

The recent trend in powerlifting is pulling sumo since most people can lift slightly more sumo.
    (Although some think only girls pull with their legs spread.)

Train both methods. They complement each other.
    marcus300, almostgone, BG and 3 others like this.

manstrom is offline New Member
    I tend to use a wider footing (same as I do with squats) do to flexibility issues with my right ankle (injured it in the military and never got proper treatment, just Motrin and a slap on the back). I find to easier to get low enough without raising my heels that way while I keep working on getting my ankle up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post

The recent trend in powerlifting is pulling sumo since most people can lift slightly more sumo.

Thanks bro... Exactly what I was looking for.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference

This! good post!

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

There's your answer

I knew I could count on deadlifting dog to answer my deadlifting questions lol. I like the idea of deadlifts and I think they are a great exercise. However, I cant seem to do them without it hurting my back. I use good forum and always make it a point to be able to read the logo on my t-shirt in the mirror so I know im keeping my back in a good position. But after a few weeks of deadlifting my back gets to the point where it hurts all the time and I can never get comfortable. I am more into bodybuilding than power lifting so I feel the risk is greater than the benefit in my case.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    I love deadlifts! Unfortunately with an injury I can't do them. I have been using good mornings and they are very good for the lower back if done correctly. You could also lower the weight on deadlifts and try to keep tension on your back, so you would lift the bar then instead of going to floor you would go just below knees for whatever reps. More of a bodybuilding type deadlift. Maybe they will suit you better mate.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    I knew I could count on deadlifting dog to answer my deadlifting questions lol. I like the idea of deadlifts and I think they are a great exercise. However, I cant seem to do them without it hurting my back. I use good forum and always make it a point to be able to read the logo on my t-shirt in the mirror so I know im keeping my back in a good position. But after a few weeks of deadlifting my back gets to the point where it hurts all the time and I can never get comfortable. I am more into bodybuilding than power lifting so I feel the risk is greater than the benefit in my case.
    Do them Yates style then, lower the weight and don't go lower than just below the knee and keep the tension on the lower back, this will build iron rods if done correctly while taking out any concerns of injury

watch this video from 21:25

Seen that video before.... Dorian Yates is the man... gotta love his training style and he really knows his stuff.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289
    Seen that video before.... Dorian Yates is the man... gotta love his training style and he really knows his stuff.
    I do Dorian style one week and traditional style the following. I love them both and if you don't have any limitations then do them both.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    I do conventional with the outside of each leg aligned with where the smooth part of the bar meets the gripped part.
    I also raise my toes off the ground before I lift. I do straight-legged DLs the same way.

Thread Information