Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By musclestack
  • 1 Post By 600@50

Thread: A few deadlifting questions

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member

A few deadlifting questions

So I have a few questions about deadlifting that I thought some of you smart MFers could help me with.

I have been progressing with my deads pretty well over the past year or so but I seem to have run into a problem.

Right now I can do a set of 500 for 5 reps, then another set of 500 for 2-4. But when I try to pull 510 I cant even get one!!! How is it that 10lbs would make such a huge difference? I figured I would get down to where I could only pull for 2 or 3 reps and then not be able to move up in weight but being able to pull 7-9 and then nothing with an extra 10lbs seems strange to me.

Any one else have that happen?

One thing I have noticed is that as the weight gets heavier the first rep is always the hardest but once my body travels the whole range I end up in a different bottom position than I started and the next several reps seem easier, I just cant get into that position before the first rep.

Any tips on how to fix that??

What assistance exercises have helped you guys blast through plateaus or sticking points?? I'm getting pretty frustrated at 500!!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Moto

When you say you can do 500x5, are they touch and go or dead stopped?

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    It comes to a full stop, and i ususally take 1 or 2 deep breaths for the next rep but i dont let go of the bar or move my feet or anything.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try dead lifts off of a box.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    If you have two people helping you, one at each side of the bar, you can lift the 500 lbs and hold it at the top for a moment while they each quickly slide a 5 lb plate on their side. Then you're starting with 510 at the top. See if that makes a difference. Like in this vid, but only once and only with 5 lbs plates:

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    So I have a few questions about deadlifting that I thought some of you smart MFers could help me with.

I have been progressing with my deads pretty well over the past year or so but I seem to have run into a problem.

Right now I can do a set of 500 for 5 reps, then another set of 500 for 2-4. But when I try to pull 510 I cant even get one!!! How is it that 10lbs would make such a huge difference? I figured I would get down to where I could only pull for 2 or 3 reps and then not be able to move up in weight but being able to pull 7-9 and then nothing with an extra 10lbs seems strange to me.

Any one else have that happen?

What assistance exercises have helped you guys blast through plateaus or sticking points?? I'm getting pretty frustrated at 500!!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Moto
    Not that much.

How is your form? Ive seen guys lowerback lifting and they squize out 4-5 reps. The first reps looks like their 1MR, but they jerk the others up. But when they add a little weight, they cant perform anymore.

I use good form, ass down. And when i get 595 for 5 i know i will get 640 for 1 all day.

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    It's a mental thing. Lifting is as much mental as it is physical. Because you are right , if you can pull 500 for 5 , there is absolutely no reason you can't pull 510 ,except mentally something is stopping you. I had the same problem , I could pull 395 all day but 400 would not budge. 5 freaking pounds was killing me! Finally at a meet I called for 410 to be loaded and just yanked that sucker right off the ground! That's what it took for me to break my mental barrier, now I'm well on my way to a 500lb pull.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc114 View Post
    It's a mental thing. Lifting is as much mental as it is physical. Because you are right , if you can pull 500 for 5 , there is absolutely no reason you can't pull 510 ,except mentally something is stopping you. I had the same problem , I could pull 395 all day but 400 would not budge. 5 freaking pounds was killing me! Finally at a meet I called for 410 to be loaded and just yanked that sucker right off the ground! That's what it took for me to break my mental barrier, now I'm well on my way to a 500lb pull.
    Agreed. All mental. I've had the same problem. Convince yourself when you approach the bar that you WILL pull it off the ground. If you have the slightest doubt, you've already lost....especially with deadlift.
    Marc114 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoLifter View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that as the weight gets heavier the first rep is always the hardest but once my body travels the whole range I end up in a different bottom position than I started and the next several reps seem easier, I just cant get into that position before the first rep.
    Just find a why to start your first rep like your 2nd-5th rep.
    Without seeing a video I wouldn't be able to help you.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Instead of a set of 5 with 500 then a set of 2-4 with the same weight do a double with 500 then jump to 510 for probably a triple. You may be burned out after your sets with 500 and that's what is making 510 difficult.
    Narkissos likes this.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    Instead of a set of 5 with 500 then a set of 2-4 with the same weight do a double with 500 then jump to 510 for probably a triple. You may be burned out after your sets with 500 and that's what is making 510 difficult.
    Or even singles after 405 with relatively large jumps to preserve as much energy as possible.

MaxxPursuit is offline Banned
    Lots of good tips in this thread so far. Have you tried doing deficit pulls? Those can help with getting you stronger off the floor. Similar concept as block or rack pulls helping with lock out. I would bet working in deficits for a few sessions would help you push past your plateau. But like it was said before - it's a mental game. If you can get 500 for 5 - there's no way you can't hit 510 for at least 2, maybe 3 solid reps. DL's are tough on the CNS - like 600 & Khazima said - working up progressively in doubles or singles can save you energy to kick 510's ass. Good luck man - you'll get it.

Buff99 is offline Junior Member
    All mental bro. There is no way u can get 500x5 and not smoke the hell out of 510. Your mind is limiting your performance. You should be able to smoke 550

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    Christ almighty guys. I thought I was doing good pulling 225x6

jaysath is offline Junior Member
    Your first rep is always the hardest because your central nervous system is adapting to the load. Try warming up with a few reps of 475. 5 minute later get 510 and explode

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    ^^This.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Thread Information