Thread: Barrel Chested

t.m.s.flyers88 is offline Junior Member

Barrel Chested

Hey guys, I have a big old barrel chest. So it seems no matter how well I build my arms, they look small or at least look disproportionate to my chest size. Anyone else dealing with a similar situation? What is working for you? Should I concentrate more on shoulders and arms and a little less on my chest?? Thanks...

zinghigh89 is offline Junior Member
    I myself have always had the issue of having a dominant torso in relation to my arms. Ever since I began training, my chest, back, and legs grew quickly while my arms, delts, and calves stayed pretty much lagging behind. A few things have helped this:
    -get stronger on the big lifts! this one is obvious but my arms, especially my triceps, got much thicker doing close grip benches and weighted dips.

-time under tension for biceps and shoulders! My biceps and shoulders never responded much to heavy weight, low rep training. Shoulders I hardly ever do sets under 8 reps and will sometimes go all the way up to 30-40 reps per set for things like side laterals and reverse flyes. Biceps are the same deal. Cheat curls and heavy dumbbell curls did little for me in the long run. I now focus my bicep work on squeezing/tensing the muscle, getting a full stretch and making sure my bicep does the work. Biceps get hit heavy with back anyways.

-more flyes less presses! I no longer do that much heavy pressing for chest. At a time I would use the 135's for dumbbell presses but just found my chest to get thicker obviously. If I focus more on inclined flyes, pec decks and longer time under tension presses my chest remains thick but looks more aesthetic if that makes sense.

t.m.s.flyers88 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks z, I never really thought of doing such high reps. I like it.. Many times I will try with the higher weights, but catch myself cheating a bit.. I'm going to try some lower weights & higher reps, paying really strict attention to my form.. Which I know I should be doing anyway. Thanks again for the tips...

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t.m.s.flyers88 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a big old barrel chest. So it seems no matter how well I build my arms, they look small or at least look disproportionate to my chest size. Anyone else dealing with a similar situation? What is working for you? Should I concentrate more on shoulders and arms and a little less on my chest?? Thanks...
    Yes. You need to back off CHEST and focus on bringing up your other bodypart(s) to match.

Thread Information