zinghigh89 is offline Junior Member

heavy/light 2x per week routine

Hey guys,
    I was hoping to get some help with finding a routine or piecing together a routine that has both strength based work and hypertrophy work and that hits each muscle twice a week or every 5th day or so.
    I have found that I get my best results with a mix of low rep/heavy training and hitting each muscle more than once in a seven day period. This comes after years of trying all different kinds of routines, but I think I'm finally on to something.
    The routines I've used that incorporate this technique are power/muscle/burn, PHAT, PHUL, lift run bang(not twice per week), 3-S (strength,size,shock), and I haven't tried it but I know Clay Hyght has a program called Blending Size and Strength 2.0.

I don't mind doing the typical periodization of strength based training for 4-6 weeks and then switching to more hypertrophy training, but I LIKE to do both and it keeps me motivated knowing each time I go to the gym I'll either be lifting heavy ass weight, or I'll be getting a killer pump.

For a while I was just kind of using an instinctive approach like this
    chest,delts,tris (heavy)
    back,bis, traps (heavy)
    off
    Legs (heavY)
    Chest, delts, tris (pump)
    off
    back, bis, traps (pump)
    off
    Legs (pump)
    repeat

I was happy, motivated, having good workouts, only exception was that I was being much more lax in my approach to reps, sets, and keeping track. I'm sure the volume was excessive as I was kind of just going to the gym, lifting, and leaving when I felt spent.
    Any tips or suggestions would be great.
    I can provide history, stats, gear and numbers if needed

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    You could measure the intensity by time spent between sets (rest times) and keep them shorter or keep the time tighter between routines.

How many working sets are you performing per body part, and per day?

Would that vary between the heavy strength workouts and those for the pump?

Those are also areas for improvement which could increase your load while reducing volume if you are concerned with that.

zinghigh89 is offline Junior Member
    I usually do rest less on the pump days and on the heavy days I just wait til I feel recouped enough to hit the heavy weight again. So in that regard the workouts differ in that I change the rest periods. As for the working sets on a heavy day I may do one big lift coupled with one accessory lift for that muscle group, so maybe 6 exercises 3-4 sets a piece depending on how I'm feeling that day. Something like this
    close grip bench 3-4 x anywhere from 2-6
    incline flye heavy 3 x 6-8
    overhead press variation 3-4 x 3-5
    side raise 3 x 10
    tricep 3-4 x 6-10

So could be 18 working sets for the heavy press day and probably not much different on the pump day just less weight, more reps, and less rest between sets.

I've been a trainer for about 5-6 years now and have written programs to suit clients needs with success but when it comes to writing my own I question myself.

Thread Information