Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BG

Thread: Short Guys and Deadlifts

Tearracodo is offline Junior Member

Short Guys and Deadlifts

I can't do any back exercises for a while due to an injury during deadlifts. My ass and hamstring have taken a hit, better than my back i guess.

I did some reading and it turns out that because i'm 5ft 4", deadlifts are never going to be a good lift for me due to short arms.

Is there is basis for this, should I avoid deadlifts or trying to lift heavy with deadlifts? How should I adapt my training routing.

Currently I have a two alternating workout plan for back as follows:

Day 1 Back

-Deadlift
    - Bent Over Barbell Rows
    - Pullups
    - Chinups
    - Lat Pull Down

Day 3 Back

- Bent over barbell rows
    - T-bar Rows
    -Pullups
    -Chin ups
    - Cable Rows
    - Lat Pull Down

Any advise would be good.

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naz1054
    I can't do any back exercises for a while due to an injury during deadlifts. My ass and hamstring have taken a hit, better than my back i guess. I did some reading and it turns out that because i'm 5ft 4", deadlifts are never going to be a good lift for me due to short arms. Is there is basis for this, should I avoid deadlifts or trying to lift heavy with deadlifts? How should I adapt my training routing. Currently I have a two alternating workout plan for back as follows: Day 1 Back -Deadlift - Bent Over Barbell Rows - Pullups - Chinups - Lat Pull Down Day 3 Back - Bent over barbell rows - T-bar Rows -Pullups -Chin ups - Cable Rows - Lat Pull Down Any advise would be good.

You're putting unneeded additional strain on your lower back with the additional bent rows on a separate day IMO. It's not necessary. Too many exercises, and while I'm not sure of your entire workout scheme I suspect too much volume as well, again my opinion. I don't know what your goals are, but a thick back can be built without deads, but I believe it to be the best overall mass builder for the entire body, squats a close second. So, given you are performing the movement correctly I would not make it exempt.

As far as deads go, there are plenty of short powerlifters with incredible deads, but for you, without knowing your leverages, attempt to learn how to sumo deadlift properly and give that a try.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    5'4" you barely have to pull it off the floor man
    bloodchoke likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

If your arms are short proportionally to your body it is a disadvantage in deadlifting.

But just because you are short doesn't mean your arms are short proportionally to your body.
    What is your height and what is your wingspan?
    When you deadlift where does the bar rest at the top of the lift?

bloodchoke is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    If your arms are short proportionally to your body it is a disadvantage in deadlifting.

But just because you are short doesn't mean your arms are short proportionally to your body.
    What is your height and what is your wingspan?
    When you deadlift where does the bar rest at the top of the lift?
    ^^yep. And, if your arms are proportionally shorter, you could set the weights of your weighted bar on risers to give you the extra couple-few inches you need.
    I'm 5'8 and feel like I'm the perfect height for weight lifting because I don't have to lift anything very far.

zinghigh89 is offline Junior Member
    I nixed the traditional deadlift long ago, and only pull from blocks (mid shin, below knee) or from the pins. I don't compete nor will I in powerlifting so for me and my leverages this puts me in the perfect position to have butt higher than knees and shoulders over bar. There's an article somewhere on the net about how the deadlift is the only geometric exercise, whether you agree or not the article is spot on.

Thread Information