Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NACH3
  • 2 Post By novastepp
  • 1 Post By 600@50

Thread: Dumbell Bench Presses

45lb is offline Associate Member
    What is everyone's preference on these,... to bring the Dumbbells together at the top, or leaving them spaced apart shoulder width going STRAIGHT up and down?
    Last edited by 45lb; 02-23-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I bring them together slightly at the top and I keep my wrist position the same, Ive always felt maintaining a palms facing way from me more comfortable.

Some people will twist the wrist on top to bring the DB closer, or do them with palms facing each other.

If you are worried about the top squeeze then just do cable crossovers.

When you are working with heavy dumbbells twisting them on top of your head can become dangerous IMO.

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Straight up and down, full range rep at the bottom, (not just bending my elbows) no lockout on top

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEMESIS RR View Post
    Straight up and down, full range rep at the bottom, (not just bending my elbows) no lockout on top
    Bring the DBs down in a V(angled down w/outside of bell is slightly higher).. Inner part of bell is like flush w/your outer pec and press up squeezing peak of contraction... It's a small tweak but. You will need to stabilize the weight moreso making it harder...I tend to bring em about 1-2" apart... Just my .02...
    73rr likes this.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    Bring the DBs down in a V(angled down w/outside of bell is slightly higher).. Inner part of bell is like flush w/your outer pec and press up squeezing peak of contraction... It's a small tweak but. You will need to stabilize the weight moreso making it harder...I tend to bring em about 1-2" apart... Just my .02...
    I totally agree and I want to add that for me, I keep shoulder blades pinned in and down the entire time but I do not cave my chest.

Also, I find it much better on the ROM to over arch my back at the bottom/stretch of the movement. I do not over arch my back during the pressing/contraction of the movement. The arch helps with the stretch and ROM, but does not benefit the flex at all.
    73rr and NACH3 like this.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^this. Couple months ago I changed it up to this. (Nach and some others told me a couple things) squeezing at the peak is very important! As they said already

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post

I totally agree and I want to add that for me, I keep shoulder blades pinned in and down the entire time but I do not cave my chest.

Also, I find it much better on the ROM to over arch my back at the bottom/stretch of the movement. I do not over arch my back during the pressing/contraction of the movement. The arch helps with the stretch and ROM, but does not benefit the flex at all.
    ^^^^^^^This !!!!!!! Keeping the shoulders back and down when doing DB or BB bench protects the shoulder joint plus adds stability. This is how most PLs bench. There's no need in letting the DBs touch at the top. If they hit too hard it can throw off your groove and it doesn't accomplish anything by letting them touch anyway.
    almostgone likes this.

45lb is offline Associate Member
    For the V, when you're down in the low position, are your forearms on an angle slightly inward, not straight up and down vertical?

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 45lb View Post
    What is everyone's preference on these,... to bring the Dumbbells together at the top, or leaving them spaced apart shoulder width going STRAIGHT up and down?
    Personal preference,,,I lightly tap mine together at the top.

DROY is offline Associate Member
    I touch them lightly at the top but I don't turn them. In my opinion turning the dumbbells at the top of the press puts unneeded stress on the elbows and shoulder joints because you are turning them under pressure.

MSphysique is offline New Member
    I've always pushed the dumbbells straight up, i've never been concerned with touching them. For me and my long ass limbs, i feel like i'm more likely to lock my elbows if i bring them in

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Agree with above!
    Straight up and down & arched back. And also, I had my elbows too high in the beginning. Since I brought them down a bit under my nips, I got much better development
    both in triceps and chest.
    I also bring my legs up to force more focus and push my balance/ core some.
    And focus on pressing blood in those tits from the start of the lift already. It's a difference from just doing an exercise that looks correct, and realy put your mind to it and make that pump hurt real good^^

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 45lb View Post
    This question will answer itself with your progress, gaining strength you will have to pick up the "fat" DBs which you cant really close at the top.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i touch at top without turning as discussed above. as i approach failure i don't touch though for safety reasons. i don't need a crushed skull at the moment.

flip888 is offline New Member
    I touch the weights together unless I'm lifting real heavy, which i don't do much. For the same safety reason others have mentioned

Logical1 is offline New Member
    My preference is straight up and down. Preferring not to lock my elbows at the top. I rarely go over 80lbs on my Dumbbell press, form is sloppy so 65 to 70 is my norm with better control. To me striving to increase my rep count versus weight lifted is my focus for this exercise.

Thread Information