45lb is offline Associate Member

Stretching after squats?

I read an article recently that said, "Squats can come with a cost, so stretching after doing them isn't an option - it's an imperative."

How many of you stretch after squats, and what does your stretching routine look like?

Also, do you routinely use a foam roller on your legs or back/spine? If so, when, before or after squatting?

Blog Entries
    There is research that indicates no difference whatsoever between stretching and not stretching before an exercise, and in some cases static stretching can actually be counter productive.

Why would you need to stretch after squats anyways? And everything in life has a cost, that IMO is a generic catch all phrase that has no meaning.

If you perform the exercise with full range of motion, you are in essence simultaneously performing "stretching"

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    Give it a month and that same magazine will come out with an article saying stretching is bad after squats. I like stretching but that's just me. Get warmed up and you're good. I like using foam rollers before I lift. It loosens me up. Is it a must? No. Just something I do

Xv1d is offline Junior Member
    I have been working on my squat for the past 2 years. Last year has yielded the most results and I always done a warmup routine with dynamic stretching before doing any squats. There is a huge difference in mobility if I do not perform my routine. And I have gotten significantly more flexible over time.

Stretching afterwards I've never done, It's onto the next exercise for me.

chefjmo is offline Junior Member
    If I don't stretch my hammies get so tight I get lower back pain. So for me stretching is a must.

45lb is offline Associate Member
    Ok, thanks for the replies

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with the statement.

Have been lazy in my stretching and the ROM in my quads is getting worse and worse.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    I agree with the statement.

Have been lazy in my stretching and the ROM in my quads is getting worse and worse.
    I think its a great idea to stretch and even flex/pose when you can. Many benefits in doing so.

hooligans luck is offline Junior Member
    Yes stretching and foam rolling often helps bring blood into the muscles so recovery can take place. I run smolov Jr squat workouts and squat 4 times a week. Without recovery techniques I couldn't.

DJT
    DJT is offline New Member
    I stretch well before and stretch just the hamstrings after as I usually recover well from leg workouts.

Thread Information