speese is offline Junior Member

ideally how much should you lift on each exercise compared to the others?

ideally how much should you lift on each exercise compared to the others? for instance if you squat 100, you should bench 80% of that, curl 50%. i know those numbers are off but its just an example. does anyone know the real percentages or know of a website that has them. i'm just curious to see what bodyparts are stronger or weaker.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speese
    ideally how much should you lift on each exercise compared to the others? for instance if you squat 100, you should bench 80% of that, curl 50%. i know those numbers are off but its just an example. does anyone know the real percentages or know of a website that has them. i'm just curious to see what bodyparts are stronger or weaker.
    ???1st what are you trying to accomplish? Bulk or shred? obvious with bulking you go heavier for less reps and shreddin' is lower weight w/ higher reps.

I personally believe that you need to leave it all in the gym! Crawl out! If I can squat 405 8x and no more I push for 12. When I do curls I do lower weights to start and pre exhaust them, then do more weight till I'm doing negatives.
    All around, if I'm not filled with blood and taxed to the point where Iwant to puke then I failed! I'm a firm believer in pushing it. If you didn't break your muscles down they won't build back up and I'm going to push and push and push! My .02 cents...

SID

speese is offline Junior Member
    i guess the question i was asking was ideally, in a perfectly proportioned body, how much should one muscle lift as compared to the others? i'm just wondering just for my own curiousity to see which of my muscles would be considered weaker or stronger as compared to the others.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If you look in the mirror, you will easily be able to pick our your weak spots.....

As far as ideal percentages go, there are none. Different ppl are built for different lifts. Some ppl are just built to pull like ronnie coleman(gotta love his DL's) and others just might be built to bench like george halibert (sp?)

Come to think of it, i think i have seen tables where they try to pick out your weaknesses, and they're just total BS if you see them anyways and don't mean anything.

Beefbucket is offline Junior Member
    Just like Saboudian plainly stated, people are all built differently. Normally, Leg muscles are larger and have a greater range of motion, thus they are stronger. In addition, since they have a greater mass when you lift them, they release morehormones for repair, in turn effecting your whole body. Simply there is no "real" answer to your question, there are no proportions to lifting for a total body workout. It all depends on your body chemistry and what you want to receive from your workout...Finally, I have seen guys that bench 3 times the amount that they can squat, and it makes me laugh out loud.

Thread Information