• 1 Post By Beethoven
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Beethoven
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Beethoven

Thread: Beta blockers and working out

Beethoven is offline Productive Member

Beta blockers and working out

Good afternoon everyone, been on trt for about two years now, gotten a bit heavy but still in OK shape weight not withstanding. I have had high bp but have taken arbs for it. On a routine cardio check up, I was found have arythmia and prescribed a beta blocker. I'm a bit freaking out on this and am wondering what effects it will have on my training and weight loss. I normally weight train with cardio afterwards. Occasionally will switch to hiit type training with kettle bells and such. Thanks.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I've been on carvedilol/Coreg for years, Beethoven. I'm heading into work but will post more in a bit.
    Ok, settled in at work. There are several members here on a beta blocker that lift HIT. The main thing is to find the beta blocker that gives you the least side effects. I couldn't tolerate Lopressor/metoprolol, but I know of others that have no issues with it.
    Just keep track of how.you feel. Lopressor absolutely drained me to the point I had no energy, but Coreg does me well. Also if you notice yourself developing an ongoing cough, I would bring it up to your Dr.
    Don't let the arrhythmia thing freak you out. It is definitely something to be addressed and it is somewhat worrisome when you are first diagnosed, but the "shock factor" seemed to be the worst part of it for me, LOL.
    I actually had a pacemaker for awhile and was also on digoxin/Lanoxin for my arrhythmia/heart issues. (Never could hit a therapeutic level with the digoxin even @ 200mcg, so I ditched it). My current cardiac/BP meds are carvedilol/Coreg, candesartan/Atacand, and Maxzide (triameterene/hctz).
    As far as training, I still lift HIT, although I should do more cardio and I am glad to hear you are focusing on yours.
    I hope that info helps you out. PM me if you have a question you don't wish to post on the forum.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-15-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thanks for that. This is a tough one for me but I love training and was really worried about it. I've already seen my pulse down right away and had some trouble sleeping last night. I just wonder as I get back into good shape, wouldn't my pulse drop even more? I guess this will be a work in progress. We'll see at my first work out today. Thanks again for the encouragement, it was well needed.
    almostgone likes this.

Please post up how your workout went and how you are feeling.
    Beethoven likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I like ACE inhibitors better but you have to use what works for you.

I got put on this due to an arythmia. And I went kicking and screaming. Lol. Didn't get to train yesterday but had a heavy work day. Found myself sweating at times profusely and heart rate was slower than it normally might have been. One pleasant side effect is that the arb had effected my bedroom life in a negative way where as the beta has me doing just fine. so far so good.

That's great! Some guys report issues with beta blockers. Just keep track on how you feel. Hope the workout goes well.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    What arrhythmia? How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    What arrhythmia? How old are you?
    55 years old, ventricular tachycardia for prolonged sessions on a 24 hour monitor. I still plan on getting a second opinion but in the mean time I will err on the cautious side. I'm pretty sure some of it is weight related but we'll see once I drop the weight.

Update, trained today. Trained a Kettlebell type workout. Felt pretty good. Got a good huff and puff going. Could not find my heart rate monitor so am not sure how high I went. After the workout though I took a pulse reading and was about 125 bpm. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your help Almost Gone. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Update, trained today. Trained a Kettlebell type workout. Felt pretty good. Got a good huff and puff going. Could not find my heart rate monitor so am not sure how high I went. After the workout though I took a pulse reading and was about 125 bpm. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your help Almost Gone. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
    No problem, Beethoven. The initial shock is almost always a kick in the gonads when they tell you about a new health issue. I've bought 2 heart rate monitors, both of them by Polar, it never can get an accurate reading. I guess it's from my left bundle branch block.
    Hope your workouts keep going great and the you do well with your beta blocker.
    Beethoven likes this.

Mine is a polar F7. It works okay. Had to order a new one. Was going to buy a fit bit or something like that but I've heard they aren't as exact either. The strange thing is when you look up the symptoms of what I have, it's only the high bp, otherwise I'm asymptomatic . I went in for a check up. We'll see once I get back in proper shape if this goes away. They seemed pre determined to put me on a beta blocker before the first test was even performed .
    almostgone likes this.

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Beethoven; 05-20-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Thread Information