Dj Screw is offline Associate Member

Question about workout routine

So I am used to rotating from exercise to exercise instead of doing 4 sets in a row of the same exercise. (I hope that makes sense)

For an example this is similar to what I do:

1. Chest Flys 1 set

2. Skull Crushers 1 set

3. Shoulder Press 1 set

4. Chest Fly 1 set

5. Skull Crushers 1 set

6. Shoulder Press 1 set

and so on until I finish my workout. (this is just an example, not my exact exercise routine it's just the order/method I use)

My question is am I missing out on gains because I am going from one exercise to the other instead of banging out all 3-4 sets in a row of each exercise? My logic of doing it the way I have been is I can lift heavier weight with cleaner reps if I do it this way, but I have realized almost everyone does it the opposite of me by doing all the sets of each exercise back to back. Am I making a big mistake doing it the way I am or can I keep on doing what I am doing? I might be overthinking it but I am obviously willing to change if I am missing out on gains

Thanks in advance everyone, I always appreciate the great advice from you guys it is priceless.
    Last edited by Dj Screw; 06-01-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    I can't do this at my Gym and its harder to do this with barbells. There are so many other considerations though. One of which, Isn't GH production stimulated by short rest breaks?

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Screw View Post
    My question is am I missing out on gains because I am going from one exercise to the other instead of banging out all 3-4 sets in a row of each exercise? My logic of doing it the way I have been is I can lift heavier weight with cleaner reps if I do it this way, but I have realized almost everyone does it the opposite of me by doing all the sets of each exercise back to back. Am I making a big mistake doing it the way I am or can I keep on doing what I am doing? I might be overthinking it but I am obviously willing to change if I am missing out on gains
    You're doing what used to be referred to as a Giant Set. Look up some of the old Weider principles that were devised back in the 70s and 80s by the Master Blaster himself....Joe Weider.
    Last edited by 600@50; 06-28-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Thread Information