Thread: Workout Log

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member

Workout Log

Hey guys, figured I'd start a new workout log. My cousin asked to start working out with me a few months ago, so we've spent the past 3 months learning the basic lifting motions, how to spot, gym etiquette, etc. He is doing great. He started dieting and eating right well before we started lifting together, but he really started seeing results when he started hitting the gym with me. He went from ~220 lbs and soft, to 173 lbs as of this Saturday, with quite an impressive amount of muscles to show off.

3 weeks ago I decided that he was strong enough and dedicated enough to start a heavier lifting cycle, and after reading some of Marcus' HIT threads in the lounge, I decided I would try the Dorian Yates Blood and Guts 6 week workout. We made some small adjustments to fit the equipment we have at our gym (this crazy place doesn't have a decline bench. We have to do decline dumbell press on the seated cable row since the bench seat is at a slight decline..)

I've never really kept track or written down my lifts and weight, so I followed the advice on the video and we started writing down our lifts after each workout with the weights used and any notes on how things went. If we had to have a LOT of help from the spotter, we made note. If we had any other issues, we made note, so that the following week we would remember why we did what we did. We made it a point to do better on each lift than we did the week prior, either doing at least one rep more or increasing weight.

I created a spreadsheet to help log, track, and analyze my progress and I plan to update you guys every 3 weeks on how progress is going. Following will be a link to weeks 1-3 of the Blood and Guts 6 week HIT. You will find a tab for each workout, chest & biceps, back & traps, shoulders & triceps, legs, as well as the cardio that I've done IN ADDITION to the 10 minute treadmill warmup we do before each workout. Yes, I know that building and this much cardio do not go hand in hand, but my job requires that I stay in good cardio shape. You will also find a graph of each lift and how each week compares. I was surprised to find that I had not done as well in some lifts as I thought. I find this helpful to see where I am weak at a glance, and what I need to work on.

After this 6 week cycle is complete, I would like to start a different 6 week cycle with all new lifts, though still in the HIT training style. If you have suggestions, comments, or questions let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xQ0eDM/pubhtml

Week 4 workout updated. Did not have as much intensity this week, but it has been a hard work week so I didn't have as much energy to bring to the table. Still mostly improved in lifts. Got the week 3 weigh-in info in the spreadsheet so I can track progress. Attached is a pic from week 3.

Week 5 is coming up. I plan to get more rest, eat more carbs before heading to the gym, and cut back chit-chat with my workout partner to improve intensity.

Workout Log-shareable.jpg

Week 5 workout updated. Intensity was much higher at the beginning of the week, tapered off yesterday. Still improving in lifts but at a slower pace. I can't wait to start the next 6 week workout. The leg exercises kinda suck on this workout, mostly due to the equipment that I have to work with at my gym. Our leg curl machine sucks and causes more pain to the joint than due to actual exercise, the angle sucks. Anyway, one week to go till the next weigh in and I should be able to report my improvements. I'll use the spreadsheet to calculate percentage of strength increase in each lift as well as gains in weight, circumferences, and any loss in bodyfat. Till next week!

Finished this cycle. Strength increased, size increased, bodyfat % dropped, everything updated in spreadsheet. I'll be starting a new spreadsheet for the next 6 week cycle, should have more to report as this goes along since I won't be starting halfway through. I've also started tracking my food intake so I should be a lot more accountable for my food intake, I'll post that spreadsheet up as well and will adjust it as I go. Pics coming soon. On shift right now so I can't make as big an update as I'd like.

Thread Information