Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By Livinlean

Thread: Arm Growth

BraveTuna is offline New Member

Arm Growth

Hi all,

I'm natural and relatively new to bodybuilding. I would like to ask what people would consider large / respectable arms (within sensible limits).

I'm 33, 6'2" and 163 lbs (so slim/athletic build). So far, no steroid use , and reached 15" arms (cold, flexed of course).

Any views of whether people can differentiate (visually) between 15 and 16 inch arms ?

Cheers,
    BraveTuna

Quote Originally Posted by BraveTuna
    Hi all, I'm natural and relatively new to bodybuilding. I would like to ask what people would consider large / respectable arms (within sensible limits). I'm 33, 6'2" and 163 lbs (so slim/athletic build). So far, no steroid use , and reached 15" arms (cold, flexed of course). Any views of whether people can differentiate (visually) between 15 and 16 inch arms ? Cheers, BraveTuna
    Yes. You can definitely tell the difference.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveTuna View Post
    Hi all,

I'm natural and relatively new to bodybuilding. I would like to ask what people would consider large / respectable arms (within sensible limits).

I'm 33, 6'2" and 163 lbs (so slim/athletic build). So far, no steroid use , and reached 15" arms (cold, flexed of course).

Any views of whether people can differentiate (visually) between 15 and 16 inch arms ?

Cheers,
    BraveTuna
    In my opinion a well defined smaller bicep will look better than a bigger smooth bicep anyday. At times bodybuilding becomes a game of illusion.
    Livinlean and Chicagotarsier like this.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My arms at 17.25 ripped looked bigger than 18.5 a bit bulky. Right now my arms are just above 17.5 and no one believes me that I'm under 20. It comes down to your insertions, density, BF, etc.
    < <Samson> > likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post
    In my opinion a well defined smaller bicep will look better than a bigger smooth bicep anyday. At times bodybuilding becomes a game of illusion.
    Agree, watched a local champ here. It was like spray painting a car before the show. Went from looking like a steer to a great looking figure.

To me the bicep is the second most important item of the arm. First is the Tricep at the Elbow...the one you get with reverse grip pulldowns. A good arm goes to awesome with attention there...most underworked item of the arm imho.

Answering the question....an inch of growth on the arm is no small task. Visually it would be very noticeable at low bodyfat.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive seen guys with amazing bicep developement and no tricep mass, he looked like shit in general, the only time arm looked good when he had his arms down and were palms facing front, turn the guy few degree and show is over.

I also have seen guys with minimal bicep development and huge tricep mass development and that arm looked amazing big, tricep fills an arm so much and almost seems it brings up bicep and gives illusion of bicep thickness.

And where guys had worked out tricep to a higher degree than the bicep but still bicep wasn't lagging either, now those seemed like they were the guns that resemble of guys at the top level.

BraveTuna is offline New Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	164936

Hi guys - thanks for the tips.

The photo of arm attached represents 15.25" at 12% BF. Btw: would 12% BF be considered "low"?

I absolutely agree about triceps: it is a very underrated muscle group - but looks truly awesome when developed to its full potential - even when arm is not flexed!
    I started using Overhead Tricep Extensions and Close-Grip Benchpresses to target the triceps recently. I do find, unfortunately, that the extensions give me pain in the elbows after a while - hence prefer the benchpress.

Muscle density was mentioned - is that genetically predetermined, or do exercise types really change that too - any thoughts?

From my photo - I was wondering what a low or high insertion would look like? I'm guessing from my arm, it looks like a low insertion - I would like to know.

I also would appreciate any advice / feedback on my arms - I am a relative beginner hence the under 16" arms at the mo. - more work on the triceps? or biceps?, or forearms?

Cheers,
    Bravetuna

My arms are 17.25". I used to lift for power and strength so I had little to no peak in my biceps. Over the last year I've been training for bodybuilding and even though my arms are still 17.25" my peaks are larger and the illusion is that my arms look bigger. To me, having peaks look better on arms.

Thread Information