Mma67 is offline Junior Member

Unusual bruising on pectoral

I trained the other day and noticed some strange bruises on one of my pectorals. It looks like little lines, almost like stretch marks but I think it's bruising. I've had similar bruising like this on my back which I attributed to pressing on the bench. I'm not sure what this is from exactly since nothing touched my chest. I went pretty hard in the gym, did some overhead lifting and some dips, but nothing unusual. Its only one side which makes me wonder why. I had some pain right in the middle of my back the next day, which I believe is from doing shoulder presses with dumbells but I don't think that's related.

Has anyone ever had bruises on their chest from lifting heavy?

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Unless it's from the bar hitting your chest etc. military's shouldn't be working anything in your mid back other then if you strained a muscle picking up the weights up.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mma67 View Post
    I trained the other day and noticed some strange bruises on one of my pectorals. It looks like little lines, almost like stretch marks but I think it's bruising. I've had similar bruising like this on my back which I attributed to pressing on the bench. I'm not sure what this is from exactly since nothing touched my chest. I went pretty hard in the gym, did some overhead lifting and some dips, but nothing unusual. Its only one side which makes me wonder why. I had some pain right in the middle of my back the next day, which I believe is from doing shoulder presses with dumbells but I don't think that's related.

Has anyone ever had bruises on their chest from lifting heavy?
    You may have slightly torn a muscle. If the bruising progresses, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked. Did you hear or feel any popping noises? When I tore my quad it was like a gunshot going off in my head. At first just a little swelling and then light bruising which quickly progressed to heavy bruising and some discomfort.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Mma67 is offline Junior Member
    No popping or pain. I actually didn't feel any pain until after I finished my set. It felt kinda like something was pinched right in the middle of my back. I have had a torn disc in the thoracic area, I'm wondering if that's related, but that was almost 10 years ago. About 2 years ago I tore my serratus anterior, never really knew the exact cause was but my overhead lifting suffered. I've just started back up with my overhead lifts so I hope I don't have to stop again.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I would be easy with overhead pressing until you get it figured out. If it gets the least bit troublesome, go ahead and see your primary care Dr. to play it safe. IDK, maybe your anterior has a slight tear and the blood is running down toward the pecs.
    When I tore my vastus lateralis, the blood would run to the back.of my leg when lying down and just by looking you would think I had torn a hammie.
    Might not be a small tear at all, but if it gives you any amount of grief, I would defo hit up the Dr.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Take a hard look at your preworkout supplements. And if you have had any intake of over the counter or other meds.

Aspirin and NSAIDS will cause blood thinning that will result in a person being more susceptible to bruising.

Just a thought.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd be careful and keep a real close eye on it. The last thing you want is a pec tear.

Thread Information