Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member

Back Surgery/Bulging Discs, Limited Leg Day, Suggestions...

Had back surgery on my L5-S1 few years back, currently have a couple other bulging discs in the L spine, so my leg routine has been fairly limited. Usually all I do is light leg extension warmups, stationary lunges on the smith machine (one side at a time), one legged leg press, leg extensions one leg at a time or heavy both leg, laying leg curls either one leg or both...no seated leg curl at my gym. Had to cut out squats, regular and straight leg deads, since those movements always used to lead to my back going "out", and anything heavy like that know would certainly have me laid up for a week. Aside from suggesting i go to a physical therapist, any suggestions on some exercises that could help with building my legs, or am i basically done seeing any real growth with these getaway sticks? yeah quality of life is definitely more important, but just curious if anyone else out there has serious back issues and knows of some different movements i could throw in.
    Sounds silly, but wall squats dont seem to bother me, not ideal but....
    Thanks in advance.

AM

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey brother. While it isn't back, I had six fused vertebrae in my neck. C2 through 7. What did your surgery consist of? Any fusion, or just simple discectomy? It's definitely going to be a feeling game, as in, what feels like it's the best on your back, while still providing a significant leg workout. If anything, you'll be dropping the weight and doing much more focused and concentrated leg workouts, which is actually a great thing imo.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Would you two mind checking out my thread in the lounge "herniated disc fusion surgery"

Sorry can't link it to you on the phone

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had a lumbar fusion as well, and my problem before surgery was so bad I couldn't do anything. I basically had no disc between l4-l5 and was told if its not fixed I could end up a paraplegic from one good fall or car accident.

I would recommend trying to get the others surgically repaired by a great doctor. One exercise that might possibly work is goblin squats.

I will check out your thread to sfla80.

Quote Originally Posted by DHew View Post
    What did your surgery consist of? Any fusion, or just simple discectomy?
    yeah mine was the laminotomy/discectomy at L5/S1, used a laser, cut off about a 5mm herniation, was pretty bad. Have other issues in the lumbar region.

I'll check out that thread. Have done some additional research, seems i can likely try for some regular movements, just with a much lighter weight. I did see a guy using the exercise ball up against the wall, holding a dumbbell in front...again, not much resistance, but i would assume better than nothing.

AM

Will77 is offline New Member
    I had the l4 l5 s1 done on July 26th, microdiscectomy, just started working out again last week, did legs, bad idea could barely walk lol. Big fan of weighted bulgarians.havent started squatting or dead lifting, today I did kettle bell sumo squats 10 reps with a pulse at the bottom super set with a weighted wall squat holding it about a minute,3 sets and then threw in some other stuff like curtsy lunges, squat hold at the bottom with only like 30 pounds .curious though I just posted about wearing a back brace do you use one? I bought one today so I can start some light squats, planed on wearing it for about a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Will77 View Post
    curious though I just posted about wearing a back brace do you use one?
    I have been using the one they gave me after my surgery....also, saw that Tommie Copper has one for the back now...used the sleeve for my elbow and liked it, theyre cheap enough, figured i'd give one a try...but yes, i definitely use one...

AM

Thread Information