Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 600@50

Thread: 531 and calorie deficit

531hulk is offline New Member

531 and calorie deficit

Hulk here. Anyone have any experience on fat loss and using the 531 template? I'm in need of dropping a good amount of body fat and wondered if I could while still being able to strength train while at calorie deficit . I know it's hard to increase strength and lose fat at the same time. Should I just train with a hypertrophy routine lose the fat and try and work my way back up to my strength gains?

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Fat loss only comes from a calorie deficit. You can lose weight on any routine. How much strength you lose is based on how much you reduce calories. Cut calories a bunch, lose weight fast and lose more strength. Cut calories slightly, lose weight slower but lose little to no strength.
    Marsoc likes this.

zf2410 is offline New Member
    I've done 531 a few times, both while trying to bulk or cut. You won't really gain strength by doing it while in a calorie deficit, but I was able to maintain more strength while still cutting. Time carbs around the workout so you can still hit the numbers needed, and be smart about the assistance work.

Rozzyrat is offline New Member
    I've run it twice in a deficit - once on HRT and once pre-HRT. Both times, I was able to make strength gains while I was over 18% body fat. Pre-HRT, I slowed down once I got under 20% BF and hit a wall at 18%. Then I got injured and was out of the gym for a while. When I came back, I ran a linear program until I stalled then ran 531 with a surplus. Great gains, but I got fat. When I started HRT last January, I started a cut. I was at 230 with a DL of 435, Squat of 345, BP of 215 and Press of 155. I got my lifts (not training maxes, they were higher) up to 445 DL, 380 Squat, 230 BP, and 170 Press at 218 lbs and about 18% BF.

From that point forward, my lifts really took a beating. I maintained for a while, but once I got down to 210 and 16% BF, I had lost probably 10% of my strength. On the bright side, I look good

Thread Information