Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hellomycognomen
  • 1 Post By TRA

Thread: HIT on current schedule

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member

HIT on current schedule

I have been reading a lot on Marcus' thread about HIT and have a few questions. I like the effectiveness of it and the efficiency especially. However, with some kiddos and me solo I have very specific times in the gym and want to know if you think this can work with HIT?

Goal is maintain lean mass while cutting fat in prep for test only cycle.

(Weeks are alternating throughout year)

Wk 1
    Gym time 515-630 am
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu-Sun no gym but can do home cardio

Wk 2
    Gym time 515-630 am
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Sat
    Sun

Obviously the kicker is Wk 1 with a 3 day stack, which I am currently doing as:
    Mon chest/tris
    Tue back/bis
    Wed legs/shoulders

I have some adjustable dumbbells in apt and can get an adjustable bench if absolutely necessary for some days when can't make gym but can work out in apt. Would have to be creative with exercises to fully hit groups.

Thoughts? How would you structure the training if this is doable?

Thanks
    Last edited by TRA; 10-14-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Add info

Blog Entries
    One hour is more than plenty of time to complete any HIT workout.

Only thing that Im unsure about is your lack of equipment. Additionally HIT workouts demand much more rest and recovery that other types of training, more is not always better. I rest seven days in between my workouts as an example.

I would recommend you start slow and as you increase the intensity and add additional exercises to your set or beyond failure techniques also add extra rest days until you find the sweet combination that works best for your body.

A lot of the people Ive seen go too fast with HIT, they do too much and burn out, or completely fail to follow the fundamentals and then complain in doesn't work. Go slow, leave your ego at the door, and you will be making serious gainz in no time.

-Cheers

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    One hour is more than plenty of time to complete any HIT workout.

Only thing that Im unsure about is your lack of equipment. Additionally HIT workouts demand much more rest and recovery that other types of training, more is not always better. I rest seven days in between my workouts as an example.

I would recommend you start slow and as you increase the intensity and add additional exercises to your set or beyond failure techniques also add extra rest days until you find the sweet combination that works best for your body.

A lot of the people Ive seen go too fast with HIT, they do too much and burn out, or completely fail to follow the fundamentals and then complain in doesn't work. Go slow, leave your ego at the door, and you will be making serious gainz in no time.

-Cheers
    I have access to gym, just mentioning limited equipment in apt which would be work out days I have my kiddos if the 3 day running doesn't work.
    I am fine to spend only the amount of time necessary. I have been out of the scene for some years but have decent working knowledge of lifting, hopefully with ego detached. Just want some good results at my age and HIT seemed like a good way to go. I know it's a ball buster - used to do Mentzer's chest routine on previous cycle and had really good results. But I feel having been out of it for a while I need to humbly get good info from the experience here and get back in a way that makes sense.

Blog Entries
    The most difficult aspects of HIT for me were keeping to the slow controlled cadence and rest days. IMO Hit is not only physically demanding but also psychologically demanding. The ego is a such a beast to fight with, it wants to lift more, do more, cut out rest days, etc unbeknownst that it is its own worst enemy. You may need to adjust your split, I personally prefer an upper/lower split because after my workout Im too damn sore to even consider going back the next day. The chest/tris back/bis etc is fine for normal workouts, but you might need to adjust it for HIT, perhaps rest days in between or reduce number of exercises you perform. However workout design is largely individual preference so only you will be able to gauge the needed adjustments. -All the best.
    Marsoc likes this.

TRA
    Must be doing something right - day 2 of HIT and incredibly sore from chest/tris yesterday, slept last night like I haven't slept in 5 years. Back/bis this a.m. And could barely make my bed before leaving for work. I do fewer exercises as you recommended and feel like I got twice the workout. Can definitely tell the pain of the workout requires some getting used to in order to go to complete failure, holy crap! Not normally a loud guy in the gym but could not help but grunt and groan with the workout today. Love it but definitely not for mentally lazy or half-assed approach.
    I found that the music I usually listen to for lifting was simply distracting and I turned it off to concentrate. Hoping I can gain some insight from the more experienced members here to further implement HIT and become better at it.
    I read where it can take a long time to actually be able to do HIT to its near max benefit. Good stuff!

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    4 days a week is enough for me, heck even 3 days a week I can, and have made great gains in the past.

Personally prefer chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms on the 3 days split. Legs and shoulders too much for me.

I dont have problem of wanting to lift more days like hellomy was saying, although I agree that, part of HIT is controlling our egos. For me part of HIT is also always striving for a better workout, always trying to go to higher intensity level, which not always happens... but the quest for perfection keeps me going.

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    4 days a week is enough for me, heck even 3 days a week I can, and have made great gains in the past.

Personally prefer chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms on the 3 days split. Legs and shoulders too much for me.

I dont have problem of wanting to lift more days like hellomy was saying, although I agree that, part of HIT is controlling our egos. For me part of HIT is also always striving for a better workout, always trying to go to higher intensity level, which not always happens... but the quest for perfection keeps me going.
    I got my splits by thinking I would only be working arms one day a week this way and pre-fatiguing with major muscle groups. Have weak flexors for some reason (bis and hams slow to grow) so thought maybe less is more. Sounds like that is not necessary, however, based on your splits. I do like legs only on your split. I give it a run, but I'm lifetimes behind you in terms of mass/gains I'm sure.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    I have been reading a lot on Marcus' thread about HIT and have a few questions. I like the effectiveness of it and the efficiency especially. However, with some kiddos and me solo I have very specific times in the gym and want to know if you think this can work with HIT?

Goal is maintain lean mass while cutting fat in prep for test only cycle.

(Weeks are alternating throughout year)

Wk 1
    Gym time 515-630 am
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu-Sun no gym but can do home cardio

Wk 2
    Gym time 515-630 am
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Sat
    Sun

Obviously the kicker is Wk 1 with a 3 day stack, which I am currently doing as:
    Mon chest/tris
    Tue back/bis
    Wed legs/shoulders

I have some adjustable dumbbells in apt and can get an adjustable bench if absolutely necessary for some days when can't make gym but can work out in apt. Would have to be creative with exercises to fully hit groups.

Thoughts? How would you structure the training if this is doable?

Thanks

With the high volume of power reps. 6-8. 10 maybe max for burning out.
    And the intensity of the HIT and HIIT hybrid session I do. I could not imagine training two large muscle groups in one session let alone legs and something else lol. What is an example of your session. I.e. Number of sets and reps. Drop sets or multiple drop sets. Same with super sets. Abosolute failure and beyond. Negative. Pre or post exhaustion...good luck man
    Last edited by Marsoc; 10-18-2016 at 10:17 PM.

TRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    With the high volume of power reps. 6-8. 10 maybe max for burning out.
    And the intensity of the HIT and HIIT hybrid session I do. I could not imagine training two large muscle groups in one session let alone legs and something else lol. What is an example of your session. I.e. Number of sets and reps. Drop sets or multiple drop sets. Same with super sets. Abosolute failure and beyond. Negative. Pre or post exhaustion...good luck man
    I am trying to adhere to the Mentzer HIT with contraction movement 2-3 seconds, sometimes up to 4 depending upon exercise, and relaxation under load 4-6 seconds. No momentum, just slow push or pull to end point.
    I will do 2-3 sets of warm up 8-12 reps, then 2-3 sets of 6-10 reps to failure with static hold once I cannot complete repetition. I will only do 2 sets to complete failure with static hold, so if I have done 3 it means I hit 10-12 reps on the first one without failure and adjusted weight accordingly.

If I am weak in an area and fail more quickly and cannot get 6+ reps in I will add drop sets to complete failure/static hold. For example, my flexors all tend to suck, so biceps fail quickly sometimes. After warm up I will start on final sets and say I curl 25 lb x 10 to failure, but at 30 I fail at 4 reps, I will quickly add drop sets to hit failure and static hold in 6-10 rep range total. Does that make sense? Below are the very basic routines I am doing for HIT right now. I am incredibly sore after just a week in all areas but lats (hardly ever get sore there for some reason).

Mon chest/tris
    Flat bench or upright press machine 2-3 warm up sets, 2-3 HIT sets 2s/4s reps to failure with static hold at 6-10 reps
    Inclined bench dumbbell press " "
    Inclined dumbbell flies " " (may superset incline press/flies)

Tue back/bis
    Bent over barbell rows " "
    Lat pull downs " "
    Barbell shrugs (fits better on this day than shoulders) " "
    Seated dumbbell curls " " (add drop sets for early failure; have been getting better results with only one intense bicep exercise for now compared to previously with preacher curls also)
    Will add in deadlift soon

Wed legs/shoulders
    Barbell squats in squat rack " "
    Leg extensions " "
    Hamstring curls " "
    Barbell calf raises " "
    Lateral raises " "
    Front raises " " (sometimes superset with seated dumbbell shoulder press if good day)

" " = the 2-3 warm up sets at 60-70% perceived max, then 2-3 sets to failure with static hold, but if muscle group already warmed up (for example quads/hams after squats) will only do 1-2 warm up sets

What limits me most is the pain in the final 1-2 reps. I can certainly see where the Marcus' comments in other threads about the amount of mental intensity and length of attempt at HIT is significant.

I am trying to adhere to the less is more initially rather than have too many exercises.
    Last edited by TRA; 10-19-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Marsoc likes this.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Cool

TRA
    HIT routine pretty effective based on soreness. Though I don't focus on soreness as a benchmark for effectiveness of workouts, what I have experienced after the first week of HIT is pretty noticeable. I am performing same exercises as prior but under the 2-2s/4-6s Mentzer model and noticed that the areas I work have remained sore for 4-5 days! Not sore as in first day in gym in 2 years and a 3 h workout, but sore as in definitely hit the right areas - triceps for example were worked after chest on Monday and extension of my arm still has some noticeable soreness.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how much credence do you give the soreness as in indicator of workout effectiveness? (I realize the proof is 6 mos down the road with strength and body recomp, just curious about the soreness factor)

Thread Information