TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member

Sleep, recovery and gains

Probably just asking to hear what I already know but would like some input on sleep and recovery for gains from you guys.

I used to require about 8h/night to feel good, but since a hellacious divorce, child custody as a single parent, girl friend and work schedule, I now get between 5-6h/night. I am doing a bit of GH to help compensate for my age, and hopefully for the cortisol.

I lift a body part once/wk, trying to do HIT, on keto/cyclic keto diet which works very well for me.

Due to my schedule I have to get up at 430am to lift 3 days in a row one week, then a couple the next with weekend available, but makes it impossible to keep 1 wk between body parts so do the 3 in a row most often. Not ideal for sure.

I just wondered what you guys think about that amount of sleep - I don't feel rested, I"m grouchy most of the time and fall asleep on the couch while trying to fold clothes, etc, which I never did before.
    Planning a cycle of test only in a couple of weeks and don't want to run cycle with minimal gains if sleep that big of an issue.

I have the option of trying to catch extra sleep on weekends but having been getting up to do cardio then.

Would really appreciate you guys weighing in on your thoughts on the amount, even though everyone is different.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    i would say tht if ur irritable etc. then yes you need more sleep. 5 hours is minimal for me. If I don't get my 8hours I feel it..i usually push through without. Nap but indef want time to heal

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    I was wondering also if I sleep straight through without waking up at all does tht release more growth hormone etc. opposed to if I were to wake up every 2-3 hours or so at first then sleep solid about 4 -5 hours. Does any amount of sleep have repeairng benifet.
    Not meaning to hijack ur thread. It relates I guess

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't get enough sleep and haven't for years and have no doubt its hindered my gains.
    7-8 hours is perfect for me.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It sounds like the lack of sleep is taking a toll on you. In which case you should definitely try to catch up on sleep on your weekends and see if that helps. Don't jump on your cycle until you have this figured out but I don't think you plan to anyways. No point wasting a cycle.

I sleep 8 hours at least most nights and usually still take a 15-20 min nap around 2-3pm most days. Only time I don't is when I'm busy doing something or running off coffee.

Thread Information