• 2 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Livinlean
  • 1 Post By Marsoc

Thread: Bad lift day - what do you do?

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member

Bad lift day - what do you do?

Day 3 of lifts, I have to lift 3 consecutive days in a row because I have my children half time. Today was legs and doing HIT routine requires so much focus, concentration and energy but it just wasn't there today. I got too little sleep, was a bit run down from adding something to back/bis this week and felt like I was just going through the motions. Music was even a distraction, not a motivator. I hung in there and did the best I could but I could feel myself quitting mentally before I had even completed the rep at times. This is just not me typically but today was definitely an inner battle of epic proportions. If I had tomorrow as an option I may have just bagged it, gotten a rest day in and hit it again tomorrow, but not an option on half my weeks. I feel I still got a workout in, but maybe only enough to maintain me till next leg session at the very outside chance.

I just wondered what you guys do in a case like this? Any tips on how to get the most out of a bad lift day? Should I have not done HIT and opted for higher reps or something that didn't require the intensity?

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I just count it as a loss and get pissed and come back full throttle the next time. I use my anger a lot. Sleep is a pain in the ass but so vital. Time is valuable I feel your pain. I was sick and didn't lift for a few days and shed my water weight which messed with my head but today i feel like a beast again. Give it hell next time is my advice
    TRA likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    I just wondered what you guys do in a case like this? Any tips on how to get the most out of a bad lift day?
    I've been at both ends of the spectrum. I've powered through and had a great workout and the other end was walk into the gym just to turn around and walk back out. Don't worry about it. It's just one day and it won't be the last one that's bad.
    Obs and TRA like this.

Jonbana is offline Member
    It happens just keep lifting consistently wins can't always have an awesome workout

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    A shit lift is better then no lift. But Remember if you do each muscle group once a week and you have a added total of a couple of weeks off during a year. You only have about 48 or so sessions per muscle group. So make em count.
    TRA likes this.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    Day 3 of lifts, I have to lift 3 consecutive days in a row because I have my children half time. Today was legs and doing HIT routine requires so much focus, concentration and energy but it just wasn't there today. I got too little sleep, was a bit run down from adding something to back/bis this week and felt like I was just going through the motions. Music was even a distraction, not a motivator. I hung in there and did the best I could but I could feel myself quitting mentally before I had even completed the rep at times. This is just not me typically but today was definitely an inner battle of epic proportions. If I had tomorrow as an option I may have just bagged it, gotten a rest day in and hit it again tomorrow, but not an option on half my weeks. I feel I still got a workout in, but maybe only enough to maintain me till next leg session at the very outside chance.

I just wondered what you guys do in a case like this? Any tips on how to get the most out of a bad lift day? Should I have not done HIT and opted for higher reps or something that didn't require the intensity?
    Well for me especially for my leg day it requires so much intensity and me being psyched that I need to get ready and if I'm not feeling it like today I said to myself today since I had tons of running around and till the garden etc. I just didn't do it cuz I knew I would be pressed ..Either way sometime I need to force myself to just begin. . If I'm not feeling like it someday I figured I best tell my ass to get motivated and do it and get it done cuz it will get done and when I get into it I'm into it and if I procrastinate it won't get done at all.
    Last edited by Marsoc; 11-02-2016 at 11:20 PM.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like everyone has said "it happens" yet not to let it get you in a bad place mentally it's not a total loss you still got in there and got it done better than most, right?next time try some caffeine pills do some warming up till you feel like your ready to bend Steel get your mind right and get it done!

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It happens. It is what it is. Usually for me tho its my body giving out so I just go with drop sets and whatever else to get a high rep count to help me get to failure.

I don't remember the last time my brain got in the way of a workout. Maybe try a stronger pre workout when you're feeling this way next time around..
    KINGKONG likes this.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Livinlean View Post
    It happens. It is what it is. Usually for me tho its my body giving out so I just go with drop sets and whatever else to get a high rep count to help me get to failure.

I don't remember the last time my brain got in the way of a workout. Maybe try a stronger pre workout when you're feeling this way next time around..
    I heard some people say that they liked working out when they are pissed off or mad cuz they "take it out on the weights ". No way. Not me. I love going in clear minded and knowing what my focus is. Nothing to put my mind off. With that said I can understand someone's "mind" getting in the way.
    Livinlean likes this.

Thread Information