Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nephets

Thread: Fasted cardio questions

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member

Fasted cardio questions

Hi guys,
    Bit a background - I'm an 18 year old guy. 6ft tall who has been lifting for a while but only starting to take it a bit more seriously as of this year. I am currently in my first cut which is taking longer than expected. I am 4 months into it and am 20 pounds down. Have went from 211 to 191. I am at a plateu and can't push past this. I have recently implemented fasted cardio on incline treadmill in the mornings. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Am I going to sacrifice some muscle through doing this? Not to be a whining cop out but I have an overweight family. Is there a chance that it is going to be immensely painful to lose the last bit of fat due to genetics? I really want to have visible abs for the first time in my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated gentlemen, and I do hope everyone has a worthwhile time over the festive period with their families.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Keep at it! The slowest part is that last little bit of fat.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    I personally like fasted cardio when I'm trying to lose weight. As long as you're training heavy in the gym I don't think you will lose much muscle if any. The hard gym workouts convince your body that it needs the muscle and it tries to hang onto as much as possible.

That's also a part of the problem I do my weights session right after cardio in the morning and they are definetly suffering. No fuel and low motivation. I also feel like spewing after the cardio haha xD

as for the 'overweight family' part I honestly don't put a lot of weight in that. My theory with that is most 'overweight familys' are that way not because of some awful hand they were dealt genetically but because the eat similarly. When I was a kid I ate what my mother ate because that's what she made. if she was eating healthy so were the kids (within reason). If she was eating shit, so were we. I think sometimes overweight families just get used to eating calorie dense meals and they typically eat a lot of it. Just a theory I have. could be all bullshit. I wouldn't let it discourage your current training. stay focused. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowedzeus View Post
    That's also a part of the problem I do my weights session right after cardio in the morning and they are definetly suffering. No fuel and low motivation. I also feel like spewing after the cardio haha xD
    try a fast walk for 20 min. Its not about burning calories as much as it is boosting your metabolism.

Is their any way you can move your gym time to later in the day.

If the fasted cardio is negatively impacting your gym time and you cant move the gym time, dump the cardio. Your are bumping your metabolism in the morning with the gym. Try adding 20 min of cardio later in the day. Doesn't have to be crazy hard, just enough to get your heart rate up for 20 min or so. The more often you can bump up your metabolism up the more calories your are burning throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    try a fast walk for 20 min. Its not about burning calories as much as it is boosting your metabolism.

Is their any way you can move your gym time to later in the day.
    There's always a way but I'm currently attending g university that requires me to travel 40 miles a day for university and I also have a job. Would It make that much of a difference having 2 sessions a day?

Jonbana is offline Member
    Split your cardio and weights up...... you burn more calories and fat liftging weights than cardio , if you do cardio before weights you will not have 100% energy for weights...

if you cannot split them up do weights first the post workout 15 minutes HITT

your on a cut you will lose muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    Split your cardio and weights up...... you burn more calories and fat liftging weights than cardio , if you do cardio before weights you will not have 100% energy for weights...

if you cannot split them up do weights first the post workout 15 minutes HITT

your on a cut you will lose muscle
    I may give this a try then. This cut is going far too long haha anything to speed it up. Always starving

getting lean the first time always takes the longest but if you bulk properly when you're done the cuts after will be much smaller and quicker.

as for doing cardio after your work out.... I wouldn't. Let your body recover, eat and rest. in the evening do something to get your heart rate back up again. you don't need equipment. see how many burpies you can do in 5 min. if that doesn't get your heart rate up then nothing will.
    Last edited by Nephets; 12-22-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Thankyou gents for all your advice

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think fasted cardio burns to much precious muscle..do some interval training increase your metabolism and burn calories all day..

Jonbana is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG View Post
    I think fasted cardio burns to much precious muscle..do some interval training increase your metabolism and burn calories all day..
    that's why I said 15 minutes post workout HITT nothing but fat

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    that's why I said 15 minutes post workout HITT nothing but fat
    IMO after your workout is pointless. Your metabolism is already up and running if you have been working out hard enough. I don't do the cardio to burn calories for those 20 min. I do it to raises my metabolism.
    KINGKONG likes this.

wellshii is offline Member
    HIIT . A few sprints should do it,especially during a plateau.

Thread Information