• 1 Post By Marsoc
  • 1 Post By yeahbuddy289
  • 1 Post By Marsoc
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Ashop

Thread: Extra day in the gym for calfs?

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Extra day in the gym for calfs?

My calfs really suck. I use to do them on leg day (I have already tried working them first before legs) and I could never consistently get them sore. I have recently started making an extra trip to the gym to strictly work calfs. I can really give them the intensity and attention they need and they are usually sore the next day.

My only concern with this is I am spending 6 days in the gym. If I don't burn myself out physically I'm worried it would only be a matter of time before I get mentally burned out. What do you guys think? Am I crazy for going to the gym 6 days a week?

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If one day is devoted to just calf work I wouldn't think you're overdoing it. It may be just what you need to get them growing. Give it a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If you're starting to burn out then cut out that 6th day.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

I think I'll give this a try and see if I can make some improvement on them during my next cycle.... they need help badly and I think a full training session should help.

Jonbana is offline Member
    do calfs on leg day , nail them hard high high reps even tabata

I like standing calf raises 20 reps each side no rest 4 sets , than seated tabata calf raises

than hit them again 3 days later with another body part at the end of the workout like you would do with abs

also walkin on a incline tread mill helps too

I've done all of that and made some progress but it has stalled. So I figure I will treat them like any other muscle group and give them their own training session and just beat the crap out of them.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    My calfs really suck. I use to do them on leg day (I have already tried working them first before legs) and I could never consistently get them sore. I have recently started making an extra trip to the gym to strictly work calfs. I can really give them the intensity and attention they need and they are usually sore the next day.

My only concern with this is I am spending 6 days in the gym. If I don't burn myself out physically I'm worried it would only be a matter of time before I get mentally burned out. What do you guys think? Am I crazy for going to the gym 6 days a week?
    I do some crazy sessions so it's de moralizing to go multiple days in a row with work etc. so what's been working for me is doing major muscle groups every other day and the inbetween days I work abs and calfs so this way I'm finished with all muscle groups only like a day or so after what a normal week will be and this way I'm getting plenty of rest for for major muscle groups, I'm getting abs and calfs in over time cuz I need it for them areas beyond other areas. What is an example of your calf workout

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    do calfs on leg day , nail them hard high high reps even tabata

I like standing calf raises 20 reps each side no rest 4 sets , than seated tabata calf raises

than hit them again 3 days later with another body part at the end of the workout like you would do with abs

also walkin on a incline tread mill helps too
    I guess different people respond different. I like what Arnold said..he said we walk on them everyday all day lifting are own body weight with one calf so we need to hit them with heavy weight high volume of sets , multiple drop or super sets. Body weight raisesmhigh reps to burn out, rest pause , long static hold , squeeze and slow down...it's what I do. 4-8 reps weighted. Then body weight I usually get like 15-30 in

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    A calf day is a bit full on. But if it works go for it mate. Whats your split look like?

my splut at the moment is

Chest/tri/calf(with calfs done first)
    Back/bi
    Quad/ham
    Delts/calfs(calfs done first)
    Rest
    Repeat

I have tried calfs ed,eod, twice a week, once a week and for me twice a week is the best. Heavy weight but good form. Stretch at the bottom explode up squeeze then a slow negative.

I have long legs so calfs have always been hard for me but i will get there

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    A calf day is a bit full on. But if it works go for it mate. Whats your split look like?

my splut at the moment is

Chest/tri/calf(with calfs done first)
    Back/bi
    Quad/ham
    Delts/calfs(calfs done first)
    Rest
    Repeat

I have tried calfs ed,eod, twice a week, once a week and for me twice a week is the best. Heavy weight but good form. Stretch at the bottom explode up squeeze then a slow negative.

I have long legs so calfs have always been hard for me but i will get there

Do you work upper traps into your shoulder day?
    Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post

Do you work upper traps into your shoulder day?
    Yes variations of shurgs and im loving farmers walk at the moment

Calf routine is standing calf raises on front squat machine, donkey style calf raises done on leg press, seated calf raises, then I finish them off with some standing calf raises on a calf machine. I do roughly 4 sets of each exercise, controlled negatives, squeeze at the top, full ROM, and I incorporate multiple drop sets.

My split is:

Monday: chest
    Tuesday: back
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: shoulders/traps
    Friday: arms

And I will do calfs either Saturday or Sunday.
    Marsoc likes this.

IFEARSKINNYME is offline New Member
    I just do 200 calf raises on gym days that's about it and my calves have greatly improved and I'm not trying to compete or anything like that it's just personal

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Yes variations of shurgs and im loving farmers walk at the moment
    I did farmers walk for forearm grip strength mainly. It will do nothing for my traps lol
    Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    I did farmers walk for forearm grip strength mainly. It will do nothing for my traps lol
    I love the burn it gives. But yes great for grip strength too.

Calf routine is standing calf raises on front squat machine, donkey style calf raises done on leg press, seated calf raises, then I finish them off with some standing calf raises on a calf machine. I do roughly 4 sets of each exercise, controlled negatives, squeeze at the top, full ROM, and I incorporate multiple drop sets.

My split is:

You can try mixing things up. Use a smith machine or barbell for standing raises. Put a couple 20kg plates on the ground to stand on. The leg press is great gives a real good stretch
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

Its ok to do that and make them a priority in training with a day all alone. There may be a point if you notice any overtraining symptoms that you may need to back off some. I'm only in the gym 3-4 days per week these days and it one of the best things I've changed in my training (versus 5-7 days in the gym)
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

Alin what does your split look like?

Doing calf raises on a leg press machine just doesn't feel like a smooth natural movement. I want to do more single leg calf raises since my left calf is literally like 1/3 smaller then my right .

Pale1 is offline Junior Member

My split is:

I had to take some pretty drastic measures to get my calve to grow too. Rather than add a whole other day in the gym, here's what I did...

My split looks like this:

Mon: (Workout A) Chest, shoulders, tri's
    Wed: (Workout B)Legs, back, bi's
    Fri: (Workout C) Chest shoulders, tri's
    Mon: (Workout D) Legs, back, bi's

Workout A & C's exercises are all different, & Workout B & D's exercises are all different. But that's kinda beside the point. What I do to get the volume in on calves is I superset every set of chest, shoulders & tri's (Workout's A & C) with a set of calf raises. I have a little wooden calf block that I carry around with me & keep it close to the piece of equipment that I'm using, & between every set I'll hit a set of calves. Sometimes I use one leg at a time, sometimes & use both. Sometimes I do fast reps, sometimes I do slow. I mix it all up & don't get too OCD about it....

& then at the end of my workout, I do what I call my calf finisher:

Workout A, I'll do these with standing calf raises, & Workout C, I'll do them with seated calf raises. This calf finisher will be broken down into 4 mini-sets & look like this:

Set 1: 4 second negatives
    30 sec break
    Set 2: 2 second negatives
    30 sec break
    Set 3: speed reps
    30 sec break
    Set 4: bodyweight speed reps (or lighter weight if using the seated calf)

After that's all done, stretch the calves really good for 1 min DC style.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    My calves tip:

Tree times a week. First in the workout, use it as a warm up. (Arnold)

Alway show up in shorts to show everbody how shitty skinny they are. (Arnold)

One different exercise each day. (Me)

Always take off your shoes. (Vince Gironda)

Important!!...Stretch as a motherfucker beetween EACH set. (Piana)

This works for me.

Pale1 is offline Junior Member
    Silabolin, there's really something about those intense stretches that gets em' growing, isn't it!?

Thread Information