• 1 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By DROY
  • 1 Post By cousinmuscles
  • 2 Post By ironbeck

Thread: Workout partner

Richard Cabeza is offline Associate Member

Workout partner

What's up guys,

I'm making this post to get opinions on workout partners, I've moved pretty far away from most of my friends who seriously lift and working out alone is a bitch, i mean i go in and handle business but i miss the motivation and competition of having a workout partner.

How do you guys stay on track and motivated in the gym? I mean i have no problem pushing myselfand getting what i need to get out of a workout but theres just that element missing.

I'm not a really social guy i don't really talk to random people in the gym so i haven't had any luck there with getting a workout partner and all my friends are about an hour+ away now since i movedfrom the bay to sacramento
    I don't mind solo workouts but from time to time i like to have that push and challenge, its motivating and you can really see where you stand against others... my question i guess is how do you approach strangers to lift with them without being a fucking weirdo? Lol

BRUTAL is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cabeza View Post
    What's up guys,

I'm making this post to get opinions on workout partners, I've moved pretty far away from most of my friends who seriously lift and working out alone is a bitch, i mean i go in and handle business but i miss the motivation and competition of having a workout partner.

How do you guys stay on track and motivated in the gym? I mean i have no problem pushing myselfand getting what i need to get out of a workout but theres just that element missing.

I'm not a really social guy i don't really talk to random people in the gym so i haven't had any luck there with getting a workout partner and all my friends are about an hour+ away now since i movedfrom the bay to sacramento
    I don't mind solo workouts but from time to time i like to have that push and challenge, its motivating and you can really see where you stand against others... my question i guess is how do you approach strangers to lift with them without being a fucking weirdo? Lol
    Just asking this like that makes you somewhat weird...

On a serious one - if you can lift want to lift and go for results and not for social benefit or time wasting you should be humble do your work and observe people who work as hard or harder than your ethics, look up to someone you can learn from or be of a help to someone, if that matches your ideology time will come either you will man up and come to offer extra help push to and beyond failure or spot the guy/girl on their hardest set etc and or somebody likeminded will do the same to you just keep on working your ass off and the good will come your way eventually.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Forum Runner
    Richard Cabeza likes this.

wellshii is offline Member
    I workout alone. Yes having a friend to push you or whatever can have its plus ,
    but overall I like being alone. If I cant complete the rep so be it,I have some black iron slotted in my cruddy weight rack for support.

As far as your question goes,yea a lot of people are too busy working out anyways to stir up a "hey wanna be my workout partner" convo.
    For now just get acquainted as a solo in your gym and then start small talk.
    That or craigslist.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cabeza View Post
    What's up guys,

I'm all about self motivation and I like training by myself simply because I don't know wht the other person can keep,up,with my intensity honestly. They probably do regular sets etcetc..while I, doing triple drop sets with an isolation move super set of the same muscle group (that's what my super sets are...a different workout for the same muscle group...not opposing muscles lol)

Somanyways beyond that I know what you mean cuz when I do rarely have someone to,train with it's very motivating being in the same level .

But for instance I go to the gym late night. But there this one young cat that goes and I see maybe twice ..but we would bullshit about this and that. To much honestly to where we are taking a 10minute break ..but we get along so..I can see myself asking him.."yo bro. You wanna jump in this or can I get in on your routine ..etcetc..ain't no big deal. I mean that is if your working the same muscle group that day. Which was weird cuz we,actualy did the same muscle group each of the days I seen this dude. But I Mean it's all on you dude. Maybe get to be dudes with someone first time ask. Maybe not a perfect stranger lol

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
    I workout alone. Yes having a friend to push you or whatever can have its plus ,
    but overall I like being alone. If I cant complete the rep so be it,I have some black iron slotted in my cruddy weight rack for support.

As far as your question goes,yea a lot of people are too busy working out anyways to stir up a "hey wanna be my workout partner" convo.
    For now just get acquainted as a solo in your gym and then start small talk.
    That or craigslist.
    Right a spot for a forced rep once in a while would be cool so I cannot get my strength up on my 1-2 rep max ..but I go to failure and beyond on my own by doing drop sets and super sets etc.. And for workouts that can hurt you such as barbell bench ..i never use barbells anyways. Just dumbbell so I can drop them if I feel I can't get the rep up. Or if I know I barely got the last one up. I'll make an attempt but consider that failure cuz it is if I can't get that one after up..

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Probably the best way to find a workout partner at the gym (which it sounds like your question was), in my opinion, is just to make small talk with guys who seem serious about lifting. After a while you see the same people there at the same time and you just get on a "hello" basis. Then just ask if they want to meet at a certain time and pump up with you. It is a lot less awkward finding a gym buddy when your already talking than just going up cold and asking a complete stranger if they want to workout.

Same with women. There is a lot less pressure and it feels a lot more natural if your shooting the shit before you bring up going out or anything. I know your not wanting to bang your gym partner but the same principle applies lol. Build comfort --> go in for the kill my man

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    While everyone has given great advice you may need to visit around to different gyms. Each one will have a different atmosphere all its own. If you're serious about your training you may have to forego convenience and possibly drive a bit to find a gym and members that fit your needs and personality.

DROY is offline Associate Member
    I have had several work out partners at various times. I now realize that I prefer to work out on my own. No bla bla, no delays, no wondering if the other will show up...etc. If I want to do drop sets or something I will ask someone to give a hand. Every gym has a clique of regular lifters and I usually know them all, and I will ask them for a hand. They will also ask me to help once in a while as well, and therefore I don't need a regular partner...

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I lift alone because I grew up lifting alone. My first year of training would have been annoying for a partner because every two months I came up with what I thought was a radical new program.

Lifting alone has its pros. I love having my log book in the gym, a little hand sized book. To me it is like a scientific experiment, in which I manipulate variables and push hard to make it to the reps/weight I want. I have pretty immense focus in the gym and thats how I hit new PRs. It would be hard to have a partner when I have to make my own adjustments, when I suddenly need to go light et.c.

I have been told I have a natural talent to push people beyond old limits, and make a real psycho environment. When I first watched dorian yates blood and guts, I thought damn dorians partner must be my double in life. For me it just doesnt work, a person and their words wont make me lift harder, but others say I am great at getting the killer intensity for them and it is needed every now and then. If this works for you then you benefit greatly from a partner.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If you want a workout partner....just ask for spots and ask simple questions. You don't want just any work out partner.Imo you have to determine someones character before you engage in a "partnership" I'm not much for small talk, liars, drama kings, ...etc. If you will be spending time together you will be sharing personal info with this person so I suggest you vet ppl.

Thread Information