Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Back In Black
  • 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 1 Post By Couchlock

Thread: Cardio and bodyfat

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Cardio and bodyfat

I am trying to optimize my bodyfat loss while cutting
    Which is better fasted cardio or just cardio? I have read numerous articles and my conclusion is that fasted cardio burns more fat while doing the cardio but the latest ng term effects of unfasted cardio throughout the day burns more fat.
    Which is better cardio in the morning or afternoon? Or doesn't it matter?
    Which is better swimming or running for burning fat? Swimming seems to be alot more taxing on my cardio, but fat loss?
    Is there a bpm that optimizes fat loss?

Jonbana is offline Member
    Cardio morning or after noon doesn't matter long as you do it correctly...

fasted vs none doesn't matter long term

swimming vs running I would do HIIT

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana
    Cardio morning or after noon doesn't matter long as you do it correctly... fasted vs none doesn't matter long term swimming vs running I would do HIIT
    Can you expound on "correctly"?
    Why HIIT?
    What is the optima bpm to burn fat? I am usually at 150-160 and i really consider that on the side of HIIT. I always thought that 120-130 was optimum for burning fat however I never follow that. I hope that I did not give away my age based on my beliefs.

Richard Cabeza is offline Associate Member
    For me... i say this because we all work differently but what I've noticed is if i wake up drink cold water then have a cup of black coffee and do my cardio with a interval style, moderate pace walk, sprint, jog, walk repeat i burn more calories throughout the day opposed to days that i don't but this is also dependant on how active i remain throughout the day. Sedentary days its a slight increase and doesn't last as long but a fairly active day I'll burn a significant amount of calories over my goal. Having a fitbit over the past few years with trial and error has really helped me to really guage what i need to do to cut efficiently and fairly quickly alongside of course having nutrition in check. My goal when doing any type of workout or activity is to burn more than 10 cals per minute ideally 12-14+ cals per minute thats a great base to gauge intensity levels, at least for me it is because i know if I'm in that range or higher for a set amount of time a day I'll burn the cals needed daily to consistently drop weight weekly

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    I prefer to do mine post lifting LISS (65-70% MHR).

If I was doing early morning cardio only I'd do it fasted (5-10g BCAA's beforehand) and it would never be anything other than LISS.

If I was doing later in the day cardio only I like a combo of HIIT and LISS that would look like this

Warm up 5-10 mins
    8-10 x High intensity intervals (15 secs high 45 secs recovery)
    5 mins rest - nothing, nada
    20-30 mins LISS on a different piece of cardio kit

^^^^^this is borrowed from Layne norton.
    GirlyGymRat and Mr.BB like this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    I prefer to do mine post lifting LISS (65-70% MHR). If I was doing early morning cardio only I'd do it fasted (5-10g BCAA's beforehand) and it would never be anything other than LISS. If I was doing later in the day cardio only I like a combo of HIIT and LISS that would look like this Warm up 5-10 mins 8-10 x High intensity intervals (15 secs high 45 secs recovery) 5 mins rest - nothing, nada 20-30 mins LISS on a different piece of cardio kit ^^^^^this is borrowed from Layne norton.
    Well I have adopted something similar. Lets see how it goes.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Just this year I changed my workout routine which has been a life changer for me as far as dedication & drive.
    I do fasted morning cardio 30min and 1hr weights with a 4 on 1 off split.
    Never been happier with the results and love that I am energized for the rest of the day both physically and mentally.
    I definitely feel the effects of fasted workout though. I have tried to incorporate additional exercises into my program and that usually ends up as me cutting a previous exercise out for that day...being fasted the body only gives you so much energy before you burn out and need to re-fuel...sometimes I am literally staggering out of the gym.
    Probably am going to start bringing a protein bar to eat after cardio as my workouts continue to get heavier.

Richard Cabeza is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Just this year I changed my workout routine which has been a life changer for me as far as dedication & drive.
    I do fasted morning cardio 30min and 1hr weights with a 4 on 1 off split.
    Never been happier with the results and love that I am energized for the rest of the day both physically and mentally.
    I definitely feel the effects of fasted workout though. I have tried to incorporate additional exercises into my program and that usually ends up as me cutting a previous exercise out for that day...being fasted the body only gives you so much energy before you burn out and need to re-fuel...sometimes I am literally staggering out of the gym.
    Probably am going to start bringing a protein bar to eat after cardio as my workouts continue to get heavier.
    Eat a banana, I do pretty much the same, 30 mins fasted cardio then hit the weights and i noticed a banana will give me a boost, protein bar kinda sat heavy in my stomach... idk maybe something to try out

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big believe in HIIT for cardio. I think the enormous amounts of androgens and growth hormone released as a result of extremely high blood lactate levels and nervous system stimulation. Help combat muscle mass loss, if not enhance lean mass increase and dramatically increase post exercise caloric expenditure is they way to go. Have your metabolism on fire for a day and a half after a bout of exercise is just efficiency at its best. And it's really fun.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cabeza View Post
    Eat a banana, I do pretty much the same, 30 mins fasted cardio then hit the weights and i noticed a banana will give me a boost, protein bar kinda sat heavy in my stomach... idk maybe something to try out
    hah...prolly right. A banana would be much easier to eat as well. I get my protein bars from Costco. The Kirkland Signature brand.
    They are about the best out there as far as protein bars go but they are like the old school bars. Tough as heck to chew. Takes like 5 minutes to get one down...ehehhheh...

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    hah...prolly right. A banana would be much easier to eat as well. I get my protein bars from Costco. The Kirkland Signature brand.
    They are about the best out there as far as protein bars go but they are like the old school bars. Tough as heck to chew. Takes like 5 minutes to get one down...ehehhheh...
    Kirkland are exactly like QUEST brand bars.

Check out ;
    quest
    Premier protein

All have no artificial, around 6 to 7 g fat. 20 to 27 g carb and 21 to 30g protien
    Sh0tsf1red likes this.

Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Kirkland are exactly like QUEST brand bars.

Check out ;
    quest
    Premier protein

All have no artificial, around 6 to 7 g fat. 20 to 27 g carb and 21 to 30g protien
    I heard the premier protein is only milk based, not whey. I like them too because they are usually the lowest sugar and calorie option.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Scientifically the type of cardio is super important.

Doing 30 minutes-1.5 hours of high heartrate (70-90% of Max HRate) cardio is detrimental to any muscle growth. This is the exact conditions to make cortisol to spike over the next 24-hours. We all know the rest of that story.

So what to do.

I was introduced to walking (dont flame please) with weights. Carry a 10 lb weight in each hand for an hour on level ground. It removes the source of the cortisol spike and also gives you a decent cardio workout.

The only swimming I find as a decent cardio workout is kick training ...short board and pool fins. Once you are able to hold form to kick just under the surface it is a killer but addicting ...hard to do just 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Which is better fasted cardio or just cardio? I have read numerous articles and my conclusion is that fasted cardio burns more fat while doing the cardio but the latest ng term effects of unfasted cardio throughout the day burns more fat. Fasted cardio is supposed to use fat as energy instead of the food you ate. I personally, like to have a slice of seeded bread with honey before my cardio. I can work harder and feel better.

Which is better cardio in the morning or afternoon? Or doesn't it matter? A lot of people like cardio in the AM because the body metabolism is active throughout the day and thus burn more energy. I do cardio mostly after evening workouts since that's my schedule. I will do cardio in the AM to prep for a show.

Which is better swimming or running for burning fat? Swimming seems to be alot more taxing on my cardio, but fat loss? Not sure about the activity 'cause I go by energy expended without burning muscle.

The "standard" bpm for cardio is (220 - age) * .8 or .85

I prefer a higher bpm but it depends on the individual.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    The "standard" bpm for cardio is (220 - age) * .8 or .85

I prefer a higher bpm but it depends on the individual.

I only did AM cardio 6 weeks out leading up to a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Scientifically the type of cardio is super important.

Doing 30 minutes-1.5 hours of high heartrate (70-90% of Max HRate) cardio is detrimental to any muscle growth. This is the exact conditions to make cortisol to spike over the next 24-hours. We all know the rest of that story.

So what to do.

I was introduced to walking (dont flame please) with weights. Carry a 10 lb weight in each hand for an hour on level ground. It removes the source of the cortisol spike and also gives you a decent cardio workout.

The only swimming I find as a decent cardio workout is kick training ...short board and pool fins. Once you are able to hold form to kick just under the surface it is a killer but addicting ...hard to do just 20 minutes.
    I would respectively disagree with you on this one Chicago. 30min of HIT interval cardio is a excellent addition to a lean bulk and you definitely can achieve muscle growth as long is you accompany the cardio with weight training & proper diet.
    IMO that is why so many guys out there gain so much fat while on cycle. They concern themselves how much the scale says they have gained and are afraid to do cardio in fear they will lose their "muscle" gains. Truth of the matter... its just is hard to do cardio so people rationalized it way as being detrimental. Low impact cardio for an hour + is a bare minimum, not the best for you. Just the easiest. IMO.

I have accomplished low impact and just started HIIT. I would have to go with the HIIT. I feel that the HIIT has caused a fast transformation that I did not see with the LIT. I also attribute my slow leg growth to all of the LI T. I ran over 850 miles one year and my leg growth was very slow.
    I obviously need to give HIIT the test of time before I can fully compare, but so far HIIT is my choice.

Blog Entries
    I have accomplished low impact and just started HIIT. I would have to go with the HIIT. I feel that the HIIT has caused a fast transformation that I did not see with the LIT. I also attribute my slow leg growth to all of the LI T. I ran over 850 miles one year and my leg growth was very slow.
    I obviously need to give HIIT the test of time before I can fully compare, but so far HIIT is my choice.
    My legs never grew and were as Cut as when I started doing HIIT for my Cardio. I must be a bit more Fast Twitch Fiber dominate in my legs, because that was the missing link in my leg growth as it were.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    My legs never grew and were as Cut as when I started doing HIIT for my Cardio. I must be a bit more Fast Twitch Fiber dominate in my legs, because that was the missing link in my leg growth as it were.
    i am hoping for the same. The only difference is it took a bunch of you guys and a half century to actually try it.
    I would like to thank everyone for their input. I am still learning new tricks.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    I was introduced to walking (dont flame please) with weights. Carry a 10 lb weight in each hand for an hour.... .
    I've been walking with a weighted vest for about a year now, I love it.... So does the dog, it gets me to actually walk that mutt.

(Spend some money for a good variable weight vest, it's worth it)

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post

I've been walking with a weighted vest for about a year now, I love it.... So does the dog, it gets me to actually walk that mutt.

(Spend some money for a good variable weight vest, it's worth it)
    The unforseen damage on lower spine.

I fucked my back with a 60lbvest I used to cut the grass with it on
    Nogbad the bad likes this.

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Which is better fasted cardio or just cardio? I have read numerous articles and my conclusion is that fasted cardio burns more fat while doing the cardio but the latest ng term effects of unfasted cardio throughout the day burns more fat.
    Which is better cardio in the morning or afternoon? Or doesn't it matter?
    Which is better swimming or running for burning fat? Swimming seems to be alot more taxing on my cardio, but fat loss?
    There were a lot of studies in the past which said it would be wise to eat breakfast. I would say for your brain and metabolism to eat breakfast.
    Cardio in the afternoon and morning? As long as you do it daily or consistently it should not matter.
    Running would be better per se. No one has mentioned this but the temperature of the pool matters in fat burning. The cooler temperature means less calories burned than land based exercise. I'll try to find the study but this was the result. However, I think its short sighted because the pool can be a great place to relax the joints and change up your routine.
    One research showed that 60 to 80 percent of your maximum heart rate is best for max fat oxidation.

Thread Information