Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 2 Post By gangen
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 1 Post By DocToxin8
  • 1 Post By Obs

Thread: Should you rest if you feel like going to the gym?

gangen is offline Junior Member

Should you rest if you feel like going to the gym?

I've been training for 6 days since my last rest day, but i feel really good. I'm still sore in my legs and arms, but not my shoulders, back or chest. And I was thinking about doing shoulders today. I have previously had problems with overtraining, such as loosing my appetite and having a dry mouth. So should i go or just take the day off and go tomorrow.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Think you've answered your own question.Too much is as bad as not enough.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    maybe you should try upping the intensity of your workouts. I think you would have a much harder time making it to the gym everyday if you were giving it 100% on your training days.
    PT1982 likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gangen View Post
    I've been training for 6 days since my last rest day, but i feel really good. I'm still sore in my legs and arms, but not my shoulders, back or chest. And I was thinking about doing shoulders today. I have previously had problems with overtraining, such as loosing my appetite and having a dry mouth. So should i go or just take the day off and go tomorrow.
    There is a lag, what you do today may not manifest until weeks later. Overtraining is a fine line between pushing yourself and overdoing it.
    DocToxin8 likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

gangen is offline Junior Member
    I am giving it a 100% trust me. I have even puked sometimes on legday. It's just that im 18 and want to train as frequantly as possible cause i know this is the age i grow the most. But I have been overtraining before and it have been a huge set-back such as those mentioned above and having zero energy on workout days. I think im just taking today off and going to bed early so i can train shoulders tomorrow.
    PT1982 and DocToxin8 like this.

you break down your muscles in the gym. you build it back up at home. try to think of that when you feel bad taking a day off.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    you break down your muscles in the gym. you build it back up at home. try to think of that when you feel bad taking a day off.
    I been on the couch for two months and I am a big bad azz!

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    I think that's a big fat azz. im assuming that was some sort of autocorrect. lol.
    Obs likes this.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you grow while resting, not in the gym and over training is not going to help. i rec 4 days a week lifting heavy, eod even..

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am giving it a 100% trust me. I have even puked sometimes on legday. It's just that im 18 and want to train as frequantly as possible cause i know this is the age i grow the most. But I have been overtraining before and it have been a huge set-back such as those mentioned above and having zero energy on workout days. I think im just taking today off and going to bed early so i can train shoulders tomorrow.
    I like your mindset.
    With that kind of mindset, you probably need to force yourself to take a rest day now and then. But you got the right mindset to grow, and you'll be forever grateful later in life for putting in work now, what you build now will be a foundation you'll have very easy to bring back the rest of your life.
    I'm very glad I started lifting at 13, not so happy I took a some years off when 17-19, (but one gotta live too I guess).
    gangen likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    I think that's a big fat azz. im assuming that was some sort of autocorrect. lol.
    Exactly, damn t9
    DocToxin8 likes this.

MToption2 is offline Associate Member
    IMO, if you feel good you should keep the momentum going. Of course in the future there will be days you should workout (zero soreness anywhere) yet still don't feel like hitting the gym.

Overtraining took a while to catch up to me. I was working out with my friends at that time in my life and one day my biceps gave out. It was so bad I couldn't even bench press. Only legs. The next 3 weeks of recovery felt so long. My bros were looking at me like wtf is wrong with you lol.
    Last edited by MToption2; 05-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Brian Earl Spilner is offline New Member
    I have a really hard taking time off as well. I have found that the best way to convince myself to take a day is to think about how great I'm going to feel the following day and how much better my workout will be.

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke
    lol! Haha!

Thread Information