• 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 2 Post By Nogbad the bad
  • 1 Post By JDToronto
  • 1 Post By JDToronto
  • 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 1 Post By 600@50
  • 2 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By PT1982

Thread: Barbells/Dumb bells only workout?

JDToronto is offline Associate Member

Barbells/Dumb bells only workout?

I work out from home and have the follwing; Barbells/weights with rack and dumbells, is that sufficient for getting good results? I heard machines, like smith machines are a waste of time anyway. Because dumb bells and barbells are much better to obtaining optimal results.

I'm asking this because after 2 years of justing using what mentioned I don't know if I should also join a gym, knowingly I would not go on a regular basis due to time constraints and disliking gyms.

I also have a bow flex gym which is just okay, can use it for rows and other back exercises.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Personally,i don't think any equipment is a waste of time.It's down to the user and how much he/she is motivated.You can build muscle
    with buckets of sand,old car tyres,anything really,that needs effort to move it around.
    You mention training for 2 years at home,but nothing about results or progression.If you're improving,i can't see why you need to alter
    what you're doing,but if you're doubting your present regime,it might be better to give the gym a try.
    I used to prefer training alone at home,but began struggling to get motivated.Went to a gym and it's made a helluva difference.Loads of
    different equipment,air conned,others training hard around you,and funnily enough,good background music which seems to lift me while
    i'm slogging away.Don't think i'd go back to training at home/on my own again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    Personally,i don't think any equipment is a waste of time.It's down to the user and how much he/she is motivated.You can build muscle
    with buckets of sand,old car tyres,anything really,that needs effort to move it around.
    You mention training for 2 years at home,but nothing about results or progression.If you're improving,i can't see why you need to alter
    what you're doing,but if you're doubting your present regime,it might be better to give the gym a try.
    I used to prefer training alone at home,but began struggling to get motivated.Went to a gym and it's made a helluva difference.Loads of
    different equipment,air conned,others training hard around you,and funnily enough,good background music which seems to lift me while
    i'm slogging away.Don't think i'd go back to training at home/on my own again.
    I just thought machines would make a difference read on my sources dumb bells and barbells are much better because it you're not limited to movement. For example, using the Smith Machine for squats which is very bad because you have to go in the same motion as the machine.

I'm different, I'm self motivated so I don't need to see others work out. And actually because it's in my home I'm more inclined to work out then having to travel somewhere to do it. Especially after work where I have a short window to work out and eat before I go to bed. Don't have to wait for people to get off machines etc.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JDToronto View Post

I just thought machines would make a difference read on my sources dumb bells and barbells are much better because it you're not limited to movement. For example, using the Smith Machine for squats which is very bad because you have to go in the same motion as the machine.

I'm different, I'm self motivated so I don't need to see others work out. And actually because it's in my home I'm more inclined to work out then having to travel somewhere to do it. Especially after work where I have a short window to work out and eat before I go to bed. Don't have to wait for people to get off machines etc.
    With a flat adjustable to incline and decline bench, and dumbbells in this flavor ; 30, 45, 55, 65, 70, 80, 90, you can't get a more hard core hit drop set workout if you tried.

Do flats 5 sets for fail.

Incline 5 sets to fail

Decline 5 sets to fail.

Then run each a balls to the wall drop set

Flat with 80s for 10, then 65 for 10, then were ever after that

Same protocol different weight for incline and decline.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post

With a flat adjustable to incline and decline bench, and dumbbells in this flavor ; 30, 45, 55, 65, 70, 80, 90, you can't get a more hard core hit drop set workout if you tried.

Do flats 5 sets for fail.

Incline 5 sets to fail

Decline 5 sets to fail.

Then run each a balls to the wall drop set

Flat with 80s for 10, then 65 for 10, then were ever after that

Same protocol different weight for incline and decline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20170506_160239.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	169168

Very basic, lots of dumbbells, but gets job thoroughly done
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man

Amen. Everything I have done I did at home with barbells and dumbells. Its all about drive and willpower. Freeweights will always be king. Only thing I wish I had was a chest press and leg press.
    A man must have a squat rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post

Amen. Everything I have done I did at home with barbells and dumbells. Its all about drive and willpower. Freeweights will always be king. Only thing I wish I had was a chest press and leg press.
    A man must have a squat rack.
    You know me, I'm full retard. I do no squats....lol

I do the mountain bike 15 miles 3 to 5x a week, and leg press 1x a week with extensions as well
    Obs likes this.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    While i agree with the others,as regards dumbells and barbells being better all round,i have found machines can be a lot kinder to the joints
    when you get older,or suffer from arthritic type problems.Another thing is it's not the wisest thing to be doing,say 150 kg bench presses on
    your own,without a spotter,particularly on standard benches.
    Some fella actually had a mild heart attack (if there is such a thing!) whilst working out at the gym i attend.Fortunately an ambulance was
    called immediately,and he was treated.On his own,i'm not so sure he would have been ok.I know this could happen to anyone anywhere,i
    just think there's safety in numbers.
    Obs and TRA like this.

Obs
    You know me, I'm full retard. I do no squats....lol

I do the mountain bike 15 miles 3 to 5x a week, and leg press 1x a week with extensions as well
    I have been grounded from squats for a while until I get my rack up somewhere. Leg extensions, curls, and deadlifts have been my leg day lately and its not good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    While i agree with the others,as regards dumbells and barbells being better all round,i have found machines can be a lot kinder to the joints
    when you get older,or suffer from arthritic type problems.Another thing is it's not the wisest thing to be doing,say 150 kg bench presses on
    your own,without a spotter,particularly on standard benches.
    Some fella actually had a mild heart attack (if there is such a thing!) whilst working out at the gym i attend.Fortunately an ambulance was
    called immediately,and he was treated.On his own,i'm not so sure he would have been ok.I know this could happen to anyone anywhere,i
    just think there's safety in numbers.
    I work out alone and the rack I have has spotters so if I can't lift it back to the rack I let it drop and the spotters catch it. This might sound weird but I'm also in tune with my body so if I feel that I can't lift a weight I don't attempt to because I don't want to hurt my self, usually that happens when I'm at my last set and added more weight. I have knee issues so when I'm doing dead lifts or squats I will not lift it if I suddenly feel sharp pain, don't want to risk it.
    Obs likes this.

Almost the same thing I have, except for the dumb bells, I use Power Block and Iron Master, all in one dumb bells.
    TRA likes this.

Obs
    I work out alone and the rack I have has spotters so if I can't lift it back to the rack I let it drop and the spotters catch it. This might sound weird but I'm also in tune with my body so if I feel that I can't lift a weight I don't attempt to because I don't want to hurt my self, usually that happens when I'm at my last set and added more weight. I have knee issues so when I'm doing dead lifts or squats I will not lift it if I suddenly feel sharp pain, don't want to risk it.
    Tbh I dont think ten rep sets hurt a bit on squats. I ran out of weights and had to keep upping reps on squats and realized I seem to add the most strength at 10 reps and four sets. I do not squat hit though.
    I give it all I have and literally cant settle down for another set before two minutes.
    When I get done with squats I am shaking like hell.
    I once overdid it as a single guy alone out in BFE and had to literally crawl around my home because I couldn't stand after that. A good nights sleep got me back up again.
    Anyway, my point is sometimes a lighter weight at slightly higher reps can get you there safer.

Focusing on negative with lighter weight at ten reps can be just as good as smacking 6-8 every time when you are practically having to bounce to complete a rep.

That was pretty deep... I probably sound like a fool.
    I dont get much deeper than that, unless I am sleeping with the reader. Squats are life and death with me. I fucking hate them, so I give it 110%, just like my ex, and I always wind up hurting to core.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member

You answered your question right here JD. If this is working for you then there's no reason to change. If at a later time you feel differently then explore the gym option again.

JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    I think I asked because I'm not seeing much progress in my shoulders, I know they're small muscles like the biceps and triceps but I do all sorts of exercises to get them worked on and it's taking a lot of time to develop, I thought maybe smith machines would help or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    I think I asked because I'm not seeing much progress in my shoulders, I know they're small muscles like the biceps and triceps but I do all sorts of exercises to get them worked on and it's taking a lot of time to develop, I thought maybe smith machines would help or something.
    Shoulders = strict reverse flys
    PT1982 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    Pre-exhaust them with DB laterals and go straight to overhead presses of some kind. Do the set of laterals and go straight to the presses. If what you're doing isn't working just try something different.
    PT1982 likes this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    All machines are definitely not a waste. I have got some of my best gains ever using HAMMER STRENGTH Iso Lateral equipment.
    I don't think you can beat a solid DB routine though.
    Obs and PT1982 like this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I work out from home and have the follwing; Barbells/weights with rack and dumbells, is that sufficient for getting good results? I heard machines, like smith machines are a waste of time anyway. Because dumb bells and barbells are much better to obtaining optimal results.

I'm asking this because after 2 years of justing using what mentioned I don't know if I should also join a gym, knowingly I would not go on a regular basis due to time constraints and disliking gyms.

I also have a bow flex gym which is just okay, can use it for rows and other back exercises.
    In my opinion the Smith Machine is the second most indispensable piece of weight equipment there is. No way in hell to do the 10x10 reps to break plateaus without it (for me). Yes there are some gods out there that bench 500 and throw the 200 lb dumbells around like play things but they are doing HITT. Not my scene. Also I like to work out at my home gym away from the blah blah crowd. You know the ones that do bench on the squat rack. You really need to understand the geometry of the smith to workout without injury. With that said I do not know one exercise that you need the smith for specifically. Anything can be done with dumbells.

Roll with your dumbells and maybe do a month in the gym every 6-months. There is nothing better than a bit of..I can be better than him...to get you to push harder. That is human nature 101.

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I strictly use DBs for all of my pressing movements. I have a bum shoulder and barbells aren't something I can use anymore. I've always looked at it like this. Barbells build a solid ego, dumbells build a solid body. I know that's not really the case, but barbell bench is more for show and bragging rights for a lot of new gym rats and egomaniacs. I've been personal training for years (not bragging, just showing some credentials) and I feel that dumbbell bench is a much more thorough workout than barbell because of control and isolation. BOTH have their places and BOTH are amazing workouts. But like all of you guys, I always get asked "how much do you bench"? To which my answer is always, "I don't know". I really don't.
    What I'm blabbering on about is this. You don't need a bunch of equipment to have a good workout routine. Dumbbells are an essential. No equipment is a waste. You sometimes have to adjust your routine to what is available to you and you can have great results.

Guys, I know I talk too much, lol.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    egomaniacs
    Ok. I admit it. I guess I belong in this category.

But you're correct PT. I get a much better chest workout from DBs either flat or incline. There seems to be more pec isolation with the DBs.

IMO, your equipment of choice depends on your fitness goal. If you're an olympic lifter, a bar and bumper weights would be very important. If you're a power lifter, a bench and a squat rack would be very important. If you are a body builder, it would be to your advantage to have dumbbells, barbells, cable machines, and other equipment at your disposal. Even if you are a body builder, not all body builders are built the same. I might need more work on my lats and my lats "fire" better in a certain motion than another due to my genetics. You have to figure out what motion is best for a specific muscle and develop a workout routine around that motion to maximize your performance. So, depending on what you're after you can decide if you need to join a gym. One thing I like about going to a gym is that while I'm driving to the gym, my mind shifts gears from home/work to workout. After an intense workout, on my drive back home my mind shifts gears again to be with the family. You have to figure out what works for you.

Just got my SDH-4 standard handles, used to build 88.5 lb dums

Name:	ForumRunner_20170510_222152.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	169222

Also YORK stopped making 1" standard plates, also no more cast iron plates for Olympic 2", just thick rubber

10lbs as big and round as 45lb, just thinner
    Last edited by Couchlock; 05-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information