gangen is offline Junior Member

Should i rest or train when you got an injury?

So like usual i get paranoid when i get an injury that because i can't train and it's ruining my training schedule. So for the last week i have felt kinda low on energy and on legday for 3 days ago i managed to injure my shoulder on the legpress of all things. Guess i had my hands to far back and the grip. Anyway i took a restday after that and and trained arms yestarday, took some painkillers, and got a somewhat decent workout, but my energy is still low and my appetite has decresed a lot, went to bed early and slept for around 11 hours thinking i would be feeling fresh today, but i don't. I still feel low on energy and my appetite still isn't like it used to. I have expereinced overtrtaining several times in the past along with injuries and just trained till i crash kind of. So from my experience should I guess i should just rest today too? Im almost 19 so i feel like i have to go to the gym so i can benefit from all my natural high hormones.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    At your age,injuries will heal pretty quickly if you give them a chance.I wouldn't advocate taking painkillers,to allow you to train,as they will mask an injury
    which could become a major trauma.
    I think you're probably trying to do too much in too short a time.The lack of energy/appetite,may well be psychological,as in mild depression.This can happen
    when your goals aren't attained as quickly as you would like.
    Personally,i would back off,enjoy other things,and when training,concentrate more on form than weight,which is a real struggle for younger dudes.It's a bit like
    driving,learn how to do it properly from the beginning,then it becomes natural.
    You're in the fortunate position of being young..don't screw it up.

gangen is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad the bad View Post
    At your age,injuries will heal pretty quickly if you give them a chance.I wouldn't advocate taking painkillers,to allow you to train,as they will mask an injury
    which could become a major trauma.
    I think you're probably trying to do too much in too short a time.The lack of energy/appetite,may well be psychological,as in mild depression.This can happen
    when your goals aren't attained as quickly as you would like.
    Personally,i would back off,enjoy other things,and when training,concentrate more on form than weight,which is a real struggle for younger dudes.It's a bit like
    driving,learn how to do it properly from the beginning,then it becomes natural.
    You're in the fortunate position of being young..don't screw it up.
    I think it's both, my doctor has prescribed any-depressive pills for me and i forgot to take them before bed that night. But im just gonna rest it out today and try to eat more again. I just want to grow. And from previous experience i should just rest it out. These workouts will not be any good anyways, if im not well rested.

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gangen View Post
    I think it's both, my doctor has prescribed any-depressive pills for me and i forgot to take them before bed that night. But im just gonna rest it out today and try to eat more again. I just want to grow. And from previous experience i should just rest it out. These workouts will not be any good anyways, if im not well rested.
    You can overtrain when young. Especially in competitive sports. Well planned rest is part of a good program. Just remember it takes about 48hrs to recover from the muscle group you just trained. It's a general good recommendation although there are exceptions.

Thread Information