Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New respect for crossfit!

  1. #1
    Kenny357 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    143

    New respect for crossfit!

    This morning my wife asked me to go to the gym with her. She's been telling me about the routines she's been doing with her trainer and to be real, I don't pay much attention. I'm just glad she found something she enjoys. What we wound up doing was a beginner crossfit ab routine. I like lifting weights and doing some cardio between exercises sometimes but man this was like cardio and lifting combined. I'm not really into it but I definitely gained a new respect for crossfitters! I made it through half the beginner routine with less grace than her. She's hardcore and I'm stinking proud of her!

  2. #2
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    26,047
    Crossfit would probably kill me but it's great that she found something she likes and can excel at! And no doubt you are proud of her!
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  3. #3
    Jonbana is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    756
    crossfit seems so fucking wrong the way they do everything half ass using the whole body to do a pull up vs us bodybuilders that focus the muscle and do it the hardest way possible , I have thought about cross training but I don't see how a 10-15 minute workout without a shit load of steroids can do anything for you besides pulling muscles

  4. #4
    TrailRunAZ's Avatar
    TrailRunAZ is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,076
    That's cool you did that with her and validated her workout - props on that.

    My first impulse is to tell everyone all the reasons I don't like crossfit and don't have any interest in it, haha, but I will focus instead on the positive note that Kel set the precedent for. My girlfriend does something similar at one of the gyms by her house and she really enjoys it. I haven't gone with her and probably never will because I have a deep enough level of humiliation at my gym with my personal lifting and don't feel the need to be an over-achiever in low self-esteem when it comes to working out, haha. I have no core and have no intention of proving it. But she likes it and she's 51 and has the body (I think) of a thin playboy bunny so I am on board with ANY workout that sustains that.

    Again, very cool you did that. The way I look at working out (which includes yoga, tai chi, crossfit, Spartan, gladiator and whatever the hell else there is out there) is that in exercise there seems to be a wrench that fits every nut.

  5. #5
    Kenny357 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    143
    "crossfit seems so fucking wrong the way they do everything half ass using the whole body to do a pull up vs us bodybuilders that focus the muscle and do it the hardest way possible , I have thought about cross training but I don't see how a 10-15 minute workout without a shit load of steroids can do anything for you besides pulling muscles"





    I almost completely agree. I like what we do in the gym with focused exercises. I have been with a few women in my life and the 1 thing I know is that, "if she's happy, I'm happy!" My wife is also the 1 person I want to share things with. When she came home excited about working out and asked me to go with her, I would have gone to a dang Zumba class to make that little lady happy!
    Last edited by Kenny357; 09-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.

  6. #6
    GirlyGymRat's Avatar
    GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a gym!
    Posts
    13,529

    New respect for crossfit!

    T switched to crossfit and appears to love it.

    Here's his log. Recent entries are crossfit and workouts look brutal.

    Less is More Log

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

  7. #7
    stacktt's Avatar
    stacktt is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny357 View Post
    This morning my wife asked me to go to the gym with her. She's been telling me about the routines she's been doing with her trainer and to be real, I don't pay much attention. I'm just glad she found something she enjoys. What we wound up doing was a beginner crossfit ab routine. I like lifting weights and doing some cardio between exercises sometimes but man this was like cardio and lifting combined. I'm not really into it but I definitely gained a new respect for crossfitters! I made it through half the beginner routine with less grace than her. She's hardcore and I'm stinking proud of her!
    rip gains...you drank the damn kool aid bro

  8. #8
    songdog's Avatar
    songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13,515
    While many may not like it or agree with it crossfit will get you in shape.Now you are not going to grow like a BBer but with the way some of these young guys are juicing and not putting on size they want veins and the slim look crossfit may be the ticket.

  9. #9
    Kenny357 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by stacktt View Post
    rip gains...you drank the damn kool aid bro
    I have zero intention of making crossfit the norm. However, if my beautiful wife asks, I'll go. Let me be clear, I live a lifestyle where I would be happy with or without her. I just prefer to be with her. Therefore I'll take every opportunity I get to make her smile/happy. Besides, I can't preach the misuse of the word no if I run around using it. I'm a yes man!!! lol

  10. #10
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny357 View Post
    This morning my wife asked me to go to the gym with her. She's been telling me about the routines she's been doing with her trainer and to be real, I don't pay much attention. I'm just glad she found something she enjoys. What we wound up doing was a beginner crossfit ab routine. I like lifting weights and doing some cardio between exercises sometimes but man this was like cardio and lifting combined. I'm not really into it but I definitely gained a new respect for crossfitters! I made it through half the beginner routine with less grace than her. She's hardcore and I'm stinking proud of her!
    Crossfit has some positives and some negatives. The crossfit culture sometimes likes to ignore the negatives. The workouts themselves can be beneficial though and a nice change.

  11. #11
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Some things that are sketchy. The diet plan that crossfit vocalizes is the opposite of what you want to do. For the volume of training they engage in you need more carbohydrates to perform your best. The Olympic weightlifting they do is not bad in and of itself however... With olympic lifting its demanding on the central nervous system. So much so in actual practice its 1 rep max, in the Olympics. However, they attempt to do 15+ reps sometimes of a lighter weight. Form and mechanics start to break down because of its demands. Then this is how injury can happen. They turn an elite type of lifting into a marathon. If you watch even in some of the games they do form does not seem to be the main focus, just getting the weight up any way they can, even risking injury. I suppose if your mechanics are superb you could train higher like six reps. And if the weight is so light your just jerking the weight around your going to get injured or waste your time without much quality adaptation. If your excellent at the mechanics then maybe it will suffice. However, this is really advanced and at some point even then there will be diminishing returns. For beginners which many are when they start crossfit this jerking of the weight around a light weight is maladaptive. This is only one reason why crossfit does not cut it at high performance.

  12. #12
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    590

    New respect for crossfit!

    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Some things that are sketchy. The diet plan that crossfit vocalizes is the opposite of what you want to do. For the volume of training they engage in you need more carbohydrates to perform your best. The Olympic weightlifting they do is not bad in and of itself however... With olympic lifting its demanding on the central nervous system. So much so in actual practice its 1 rep max, in the Olympics. However, they attempt to do 15+ reps sometimes of a lighter weight. Form and mechanics start to break down because of its demands. Then this is how injury can happen. They turn an elite type of lifting into a marathon. If you watch even in some of the games they do form does not seem to be the main focus, just getting the weight up any way they can, even risking injury. I suppose if your mechanics are superb you could train higher like six reps. And if the weight is so light your just jerking the weight around your going to get injured or waste your time without much quality adaptation. If your excellent at the mechanics then maybe it will suffice. However, this is really advanced and at some point even then there will be diminishing returns. For beginners which many are when they start crossfit this jerking of the weight around a light weight is maladaptive. This is only one reason why crossfit does not cut it at high performance.
    While I get your point, comparing the Crossfit Games to the training done in boxes, is like comparing IPF worlds to my daily lifting routine. One is training, and the other is balls out testing at the top level.

    If I were to try and emulate Taylor Atwood's performance at worlds in the gym, I'd end up hurt too.

  13. #13
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    While I get your point, comparing the Crossfit Games to the training done in boxes, is like comparing IPF worlds to my daily lifting routine. One is training, and the other is balls out testing at the top level.

    If I were to try and emulate Taylor Atwood's performance at worlds in the gym, I'd end up hurt too.
    Yeah I see what your saying. The only thing I would say is at the games there is video footage of top athletes with horrific form. They are as concerned with winning but mechanically is dysfunctional. Yeah, my emphasis is some of the training done in these boxes for beginners or those who have not trained and are unfamiliar with Olympic lifting. To learn a complicated movement should be the emphasis without having to worry about a million reps... Part of my response I'm comparing elite athletes to some average joe at some box. But if you want the best out of training you may want to compare yourself to the top athletes. One error is the same programming for a beginner can be the same for an elite athlete who competes in the games at some event. Like do 15 snatches. Other differences in the average joe versus the games athletes is theres is no solid foundation for the Olympic lifting movements. If a beginner gets thrown quickly into olympic lifting with high reps its different compared to the elite athletes who the top which you may know have competed in the olympics with olympic lifting on the female side or who grew up in the sport of olympic lifting on the male side, so these elite athletes have mastered the olympic lifting and since its a big part of the games win. I guess I'm saying you should strive to be like the elite and note the differences between the two and do what the elite do and modify it with the genetics you've been given. And if the elite crossfit games athletes have form that breaks down in competition your average joe is going to see some of that too if the volume is too high. And you've got to know your individual limits also and factor that in. But this is a good conversation.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 09-03-2017 at 01:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Yeah I see what your saying. The only thing I would say is at the games there is video footage of top athletes with horrific form. They are as concerned with winning but mechanically is dysfunctional. Yeah, my emphasis is some of the training done in these boxes for beginners or those who have not trained and are unfamiliar with Olympic lifting. To learn a complicated movement should be the emphasis without having to worry about a million reps... At the elite level they can push this boundary but for each person there will be diminishing returns. And I think it goes without saying the type of games and training they do will eventually take its toll. Part of my response I'm comparing elite athletes to some average joe at some box. But if you want the best out of training you may want to compare yourself to the top athletes. The same programming for a beginner can be the same for an elite athlete who competes in the games at some event. Like do 15 snatches. Other differences in the average joe versus the games athletes is theres is no solid foundation for the Olympic lifting movements. If a beginner gets thrown quickly into olympic lifting with high reps its different compared to the elite athletes who the top which you may know have competed in the olympics with olympic lifting on the female side or who grew up in the sport of olympic lifting on the male side, so these elite athletes have mastered the olympic lifting and since its a big part of the games win. I guess I'm saying you should strive to be like the elite and note the differences between the two and do what the elite do and modify it with the genetics you've been given. And if the elite crossfit games athletes have form that breaks down in competition your average joe is going to see some of that too if the volume is too high. And you've got to know your individual limits also and factor that in. But this is a good conversation.
    I'll be the first to admit that CrossFit boxes are limited by one thing that the average bodybuilder/gym rat doesn't need: good coaches. With extremely technical movements like the snatch, you really need someone to break down the individual components of the lift to the rank newbie; not so much with concentration curls, calf raises, etc.

    Pair that with the fact that CF utilizes more types of movement in a day than most BB splits will use in a week, and yes, the potential for injury is definitely higher. This part can often be put down on people not knowing their limits, BUT an attentive coach would see that something was wrong within the group well before Laura Mae threw out her hip or tore a hamstring. If not, her weight used was improper which can either fall back to her if hiding pain response, or the coach if insisting she push until something breaks.

    All in all, CF's retention is quite high, and considering just how much these people do in a given WoD, the fact that injury rates are as low as they are is a testament to the fact that the human body isn't quite as fragile as some may choose to believe.

    Hell, my bench and deadlift form on max efforts would probably send half of the people here into apoplectic fits. Doesn't mean that it's not accomplishing the intended goal. Hell, scour the forums here, and you can find all kinds of injuries that occurred while performing "safe" movements with proper form. Things just break sometimes. No sense in worrying about it excessively beforehand.

  15. #15
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that CrossFit boxes are limited by one thing that the average bodybuilder/gym rat doesn't need: good coaches. With extremely technical movements like the snatch, you really need someone to break down the individual components of the lift to the rank newbie; not so much with concentration curls, calf raises, etc.

    Pair that with the fact that CF utilizes more types of movement in a day than most BB splits will use in a week, and yes, the potential for injury is definitely higher. This part can often be put down on people not knowing their limits, BUT an attentive coach would see that something was wrong within the group well before Laura Mae threw out her hip or tore a hamstring. If not, her weight used was improper which can either fall back to her if hiding pain response, or the coach if insisting she push until something breaks.

    All in all, CF's retention is quite high, and considering just how much these people do in a given WoD, the fact that injury rates are as low as they are is a testament to the fact that the human body isn't quite as fragile as some may choose to believe.

    Hell, my bench and deadlift form on max efforts would probably send half of the people here into apoplectic fits. Doesn't mean that it's not accomplishing the intended goal. Hell, scour the forums here, and you can find all kinds of injuries that occurred while performing "safe" movements with proper form. Things just break sometimes. No sense in worrying about it excessively beforehand.
    I mean I coming from more of an athletic background. Having had coaches and the like. Not just training bodybuilding. Body split training definitely shouldn't be the only type of training someone should do. And yes compare it to the average bodybuilder one could argue it's more functional. But just because there is high retention doesn't mean you shouldn't be critical where it is due. And some people drink the koolade. So it's not necessarily free from criticism. But on a more positive note some of the workouts do change things up and can be beneficial. I mean crossfit is ok as long as you put some guidelines on it. Like correct form first and foremost.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 09-03-2017 at 01:49 AM.

  16. #16
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    I mean I coming from more of an athletic background. Having had coaches and the like. Not just training bodybuilding. Body split training definitely shouldn't be the only type of training someone should do. And yes compare it to the average bodybuilder one could argue it's more functional. But just because there is high retention doesn't mean you shouldn't be critical where it is due. And some people drink the koolade. So it's not necessarily free from criticism. But on a more positive note some of the workouts do change things up and can be beneficial.
    I tend to agree with you entirely here. Hell, I started off with a 100% focus on the powerlifts, which tend to be more "functional" and beneficial on the whole than split training. Yeah, I got a lot stronger in those three lifts. I also got absurdly tight hamstrings, quads, glutes and was starting to develop "powerlifter waddle". Screw that noise.

    Now that my interest has started to gear more toward Strongman, I've had to start putting more focus on mobility and conditioning, and my overall performance in daily life has gone through the roof, along with my energy levels.

    The only real downside is that I now have to eat more. Thought I was at maintenance at 2550 kcals/day, but nope. My tracking and math is pointing toward me needing more like 2800 just to hold myself at my current 161. Gaining on this training regimen is gonna be a bitch.

  17. #17
    Couchlockd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    I watch cross fit travesties daily.

    I watched just yesterday, a pair if women secure what looked one bungee cords with handles to the pull up station.

    They held on to the handles, facing the pull up bar, walked to the end of the bungees and were jumping up and down with a slight rearward motion , jumping against the pull of the band.

    I really think 75% of the cross fit movements can be replaced with real cardio or real higher rep super setting and be much more effective.

    I mean a handful of things look real deal and seem worthy.

    But the bulk of it, smh. Not with my precious time

  18. #18
    stacktt's Avatar
    stacktt is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    72
    most people i see switch to Kross fit were doing basic bodybuilding before they drank the koolaid
    they didnt realize they needed to eat more & switch up the old 3 set 8 rep routine
    i kid you not when i get to the gym at 6am there is a Kross fitter there and he's only there because his Krossfit location is not open that early
    they do their box jumps in the middle of the gym room for everyone to see
    jumping rope next to people on the rack machines
    doing wind shield wiper pull ups in front of everyone, lol its like they want you to smell their ass
    leaving their shoes on machines while they super set from different rooms
    you go to talk to them and theyll for sure bring it up somewhere that they do kross fit, even tho your convo was about your grandpa passing away (joking)

    im usually a very nice person but i swear to god....i will be the biggest dick to you if i see you do that shit in MY gym...im super prejudice against the that cult and its followers

  19. #19
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by stacktt View Post
    most people i see switch to Kross fit were doing basic bodybuilding before they drank the koolaid
    they didnt realize they needed to eat more & switch up the old 3 set 8 rep routine
    i kid you not when i get to the gym at 6am there is a Kross fitter there and he's only there because his Krossfit location is not open that early
    they do their box jumps in the middle of the gym room for everyone to see
    jumping rope next to people on the rack machines
    doing wind shield wiper pull ups in front of everyone, lol its like they want you to smell their ass
    leaving their shoes on machines while they super set from different rooms
    you go to talk to them and theyll for sure bring it up somewhere that they do kross fit, even tho your convo was about your grandpa passing away (joking)

    im usually a very nice person but i swear to god....i will be the biggest dick to you if i see you do that shit in MY gym...im super prejudice against the that cult and its followers
    stacktt hits on something also a problem. Again turning box jumps or jumping into a marathon. Plyometrics are used for power and speed. But when you turn it into a high rep exercises it's not a power producing exercise anymore. It's more of an overall fitness type of exercise. As long as you realize its no longer for power and speed and just overall fitness. So this is the second thing that is a problem with crossfit. And this also goes for olympic lifting. At some point its no longer about power and speed just endurance this is what happens. And jumping is hard on the body. If you do a lot your really hammering your knees.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 09-03-2017 at 07:17 PM.

  20. #20
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    4,995
    Blog Entries
    162
    I'll give my 2c, not sure it's worth that much even, on this subject as I switched to CrossFit 1 1/2 years ago. I have been active throughout all my life, runner, karate, a cardio nerd in the gym, lifting weights, doing crazy 100K treks for time, you name it. I have been doing all this not just to stay fit but because I enjoy changing it up some times and I like an active lifestyle.

    When I started looking into doing CrossFit a while back I was drawn to the variation in workouts, the intensity that would challenge me, the competitive angle, Olympic lifts, gymnastics. I knew I would look like a complete clown walking in there starting to workout and even that was too optimistic looking back. I loved the idea of completely challenging my mind doing movements that would have me rethink how I use my body.

    I always hear critics say CrossFit is doing everything dangerous and hurting people but the statistics are just not there to support those arguments. You can walk into almost any regular gym, including CrossFit, and see people do crazy things that they should simply not be doing. That has always been the case and will continue to be that way, forever.

    Here is what I know CrossFit have done for me, and me alone: I no longer have to pay much attention to what I eat as body fat levels stay low all year round (10-12%). I feel energetic and full of energy all through my days. I can play around with my 7-year old on the monkey bars and run around like a crazy person in the playground without feeling like I am going to pass out. I can easily run my company boot camps on top of my own workouts and feel like it is nothing. Best part, my wife thinks I look fantastic and tells me she loves to touch my muscles at just that right time of being intimate (She knows how to use her words :-)).

    These days I am now a competitive CrossFit athlete, Ranked Number 1 in the country for my age and hope to make even better strides in competitive CrossFit.

  21. #21
    Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Asia but not Asian.
    Posts
    1,554
    Some guys enjoy sucking other guy's noodles. It's not for me but if it is what they want to do then just don't do it in front of me.

    Some guys enjoy yelling and screaming like retards and doing less efficient and less productive exercises. It's not for me but whatever floats their boat.

    Some people cannot handle strict and on point fitness. They need the flash and validation. Crossfit is their drug. It gets them off their sofa and doing something. Much like church.... it is the drug for the mediocre masses.


    With that said ...somehow bodybuilding has come to mean being as big as clowntastically possible to many people. Those people make it seem that anything other than abusing bodybuilding and substances make you lesser. Those type of bodybuilders are just as bad as crossfiters.

    BOTH groups have positive aspects and when used with logic and reason....sky is the limit. It is sad the two worlds do not focus on the positive and market themselves via their worst aspects. "winning" is relative.

  22. #22
    cousinmuscles's Avatar
    cousinmuscles is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    I watch cross fit travesties daily.

    I watched just yesterday, a pair if women secure what looked one bungee cords with handles to the pull up station.

    They held on to the handles, facing the pull up bar, walked to the end of the bungees and were jumping up and down with a slight rearward motion , jumping against the pull of the band.

    I really think 75% of the cross fit movements can be replaced with real cardio or real higher rep super setting and be much more effective.

    I mean a handful of things look real deal and seem worthy.

    But the bulk of it, smh. Not with my precious time
    That's the problem with having read exercise science and understanding what various components of training do. For my part I train in gyms where very few know what they're doing. Not much different from what I've seen crossfit people do.

    I disagree with doing snatches et.c. go to a real coach for that.

  23. #23
    Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    350
    Problem with crossfit,is when they're in the gym,they take over the cable machines for fucking ages.
    Boils my piss.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •