Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Couchlock
  • 4 Post By kelkel
  • 2 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 1 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By Kenny357
  • 1 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 2 Post By marcus300

Thread: Arms and Shoulders growth

  1. #1
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62

    Arms and Shoulders growth

    I've started weights 2 years now, and I'm having difficulties getting my biceps and shoulders bigger. I've tried all sorts of exercises and even contraction (squeezing) and slow negative as a lot of videos suggest. I have tried all sorts of exercises for shoulders and arms and I'm not seeing that 'ball' shape form on shoulders.
    My arms are naturally thin, some guys have naturally bigger arms, I don't. Which is why I'm struggling.
    The bigger muscles the back and chest, I have no issues.
    Am I being impatient? How long did it take for you to see shoulders and arms get a good size or at least form?

  2. #2
    guitarzan's Avatar
    guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    4,525
    Be more specific on what you're doing, have done....ect
    Eating enough?

  3. #3
    Couchlock is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    Shoulders
    Keep on heavy dumbell bench,incline, decline, upright presses.

    They'll come around

    Biceps, do 5 sets of "21's" strict, no swinging just elbow flex.
    When it comes to biceps, I see 99% of guys ego lifting weight. Cheating reps don't do much.

    Its between this, doing 35lb dumbell curls sloppy and swinging, or doing 15lb curls ultra strict.

    The strict controlled movement will build better muscle
    stacktt and Nogbad the bad like this.

  4. #4
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,936
    Nutrition + training + time + patience = growth. Think long term.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  5. #5
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Shoulders
    Keep on heavy dumbell bench,incline, decline, upright presses.

    They'll come around

    Biceps, do 5 sets of "21's" strict, no swinging just elbow flex.
    When it comes to biceps, I see 99% of guys ego lifting weight. Cheating reps don't do much.

    Its between this, doing 35lb dumbell curls sloppy and swinging, or doing 15lb curls ultra strict.

    The strict controlled movement will build better muscle
    Yea, I heard 21s is good, it' tough but worth it. I don't do 'ego lifting' persay, I work out at home with dumb bells and barbells.

  6. #6
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,936
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    Yea, I heard 21s is good, it' tough but worth it. I don't do 'ego lifting' persay, I work out at home with dumb bells and barbells.

    It can be tough working out at home unless you have the right equipment. Progress can be difficult as well if you don't have adequate variety. I've worked out at home for a dozen years now and love it but I have a pretty decent set-up. If you don't have enough that allows some variety consider a local gym and split the time.
    almostgone and Nogbad the bad like this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  7. #7
    Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Asia but not Asian.
    Posts
    1,596
    Biceps are a long term investment. No one can say "i want biceps" and 6 months later they arrive.

    Shoulders lag only due to effort. They should progress at the same rate +- 20% as the chest. The biggest help I found was in two exercises and high rep workouts. Military press and a form of the Arnold Press (Elbows in and in front). Many struggle on shoulders due to the pain quota. I think this was the most practical use of opiates LoL.

  8. #8
    Couchlock is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    Nothing like 4 Prescribed Norco 7.5's with a bit of pre workout on shoulder day.
    Chicagotarsier likes this.

  9. #9
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    It can be tough working out at home unless you have the right equipment. Progress can be difficult as well if you don't have adequate variety. I've worked out at home for a dozen years now and love it but I have a pretty decent set-up. If you don't have enough that allows some variety consider a local gym and split the time.
    I have barbell and plates and a rack, also Powerblock dumbells. I know there are machines as well at gyms that would help. I also use the Bowflex for back workout and tricep rope pull down. If I had to workout at a gum I wouldn't go for various reasons, one being is that the last thing I would want to do when I come home from work is drive to the gym during rush hour when the gym would be packed. Waiting to use equipment etc. People need motivation to work out so when they see people at gym it gets them motivated, I don't need that.

  10. #10
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,936
    Well then, keep adding equipment to your home gym when possible.
    almostgone likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  11. #11
    Couchlock is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Well then, keep adding equipment to your home gym when possible.
    Yes I second this.

    Facebook market place is a gold mine

  12. #12
    Kenny357 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    143
    I too dislike going to the gym when it's packed but I travel a lot for work so home gym doesn't cut it. When I can make my own hours, I wake up at 5 AM and go to work so that I'm off by 2 and can beat the rush. When I don't have that option, I wake up early and go to the gym. I only require 6-8 hours of sleep so that leaves me with 6-8 hours before/after work to get done what needs doing and I still wind up bored when I'm not at home. Not trying to flame but I'm reminded of the old saying, "If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Other wise you'll find an excuse".
    Nogbad the bad likes this.

  13. #13
    JDToronto is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Well then, keep adding equipment to your home gym when possible.
    I can't, I only have limited space in my second bedroom. What else do you recommend?

  14. #14
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,936
    Quote Originally Posted by JDToronto View Post
    I can't, I only have limited space in my second bedroom. What else do you recommend?
    Damn. It's tough when you're so limited. Power Blocks are great and all (have them as well) but you'll need more eventually if you want to keep making progress. Kenny's last sentence above is really on point though: "If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way."

    Maybe go to the gym later in the evening or at the crack of dawn. Find a way to make it work.
    almostgone likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  15. #15
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Maybe go to the gym later in the evening or at the crack of dawn. Find a way to make it work.
    The latter is what I do. I'm always one of the first four people in the door, and the others are elderly dudes hitting the ellipticals. Nothing like having the whole floor to yourself for most of your session.

  16. #16
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    The latter is what I do. I'm always one of the first four people in the door, and the others are elderly dudes hitting the ellipticals. Nothing like having the whole floor to yourself for most of your session.
    I wake up at 6am for me to get to work. I'm not waking up at 4:30am or 5am...what other equipment are you referring to? Smith Machines etc.Trust me, I want to join the gym for the extra equipment but I'm hesitating. Just hate the gym.

  17. #17
    Couchlock is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    I wake up at 6am for me to get to work. I'm not waking up at 4:30am or 5am...what other equipment are you referring to? Smith Machines etc.Trust me, I want to join the gym for the extra equipment but I'm hesitating. Just hate the gym.
    I wake up at 3am to be at work at 6 am, so I could get a morning 3 set 3 exersise chest routine in.

    Gotta want it jay.
    Gallowmere likes this.

  18. #18
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    I've started weights 2 years now, and I'm having difficulties getting my biceps and shoulders bigger. I've tried all sorts of exercises and even contraction (squeezing) and slow negative as a lot of videos suggest. I have tried all sorts of exercises for shoulders and arms and I'm not seeing that 'ball' shape form on shoulders.
    My arms are naturally thin, some guys have naturally bigger arms, I don't. Which is why I'm struggling.
    The bigger muscles the back and chest, I have no issues.
    Am I being impatient? How long did it take for you to see shoulders and arms get a good size or at least form?
    Try hitting the shoulder twice a week. If you've started weights 2 years ago you might be rushing it a little.

  19. #19
    JDToronto is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Try hitting the shoulder twice a week. If you've started weights 2 years ago you might be rushing it a little.
    I always wonder how long certain guys got to their peak keeping in mind everyone is different (genes, age, etc), the men who have good size (muscle proportionate). I don't want to go overboard. I just want my arms and shoulders bigger and at ideal size. Some guys don't know when to stop at a certain level and they start looking ridiculous, like a cartoon character.

  20. #20
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    When guys reach their peak. That's a difficult question. For arms or shoulders. Sometimes you think they are peaked then you change something in your exercise program, learn something new, add a supplement in and bam they get bigger. But yeah 2 years is a little early to throw in the towel. If you have naturally thin arms it's going to be more difficult and with many of the questions on here like long arms its genetic. There is at some point a limit. But you can change exercise program, learn a new method, add a supplement, perhaps bulk, and on this forum gear is something you can do. For myself, my shoulders have never been bigger and I'm older now. So keep at it, 2 years in is too early. Try hitting them more than once a week, work the rear delts, and work the back. There is wiggle room in genetics. You just need to find what works... and train the muscles longer.

  21. #21
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    40,922
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Nutrition + training + time + patience = growth. Think long term.
    This and also being consistent and learning how your body responds to different stress its put under
    almostgone and BrockBadger like this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •