Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By TRA

Thread: Looking for some workout ideas

Rebuilt is offline New Member

Looking for some workout ideas

Hi guys, new to the forum. Looking to get in the best shape of my life. I am 24,overweight and looking to start a long term commitment to eating clean and getting in good shape. I plan on working out for a good while before touching any aas, However I know this site is loaded with very knowledgeable people.

Currently, I am about 25% or more in terms of body fat, 5'10, 230lbs.
    Diet is Currently in check based off my calculations.

For a new comer, should i be lifting every second day? Like a normal style split:
    Day 1 : Shoulders/Tris Day 2 : Rest Day 3: Back and Bis , etc

Or would it be best to start a routine thats more like full body for a few weeks with compound movements?

Would Conditioning and Hiits help drop the weight quicker?

Should I start Cardio right at this point ( the beginning )?

I got a good schedule to incorporate a long term routine, just needs to get everything in order to start off with a good start.

Thanks for any advice / input.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would incorporate a good weight training routine along with 20-30 mins cardio after. Diet is key, but it sounds like you are aware of that
    TRA likes this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Looking for some workout ideas

Even though you think that you have your diet under control, I recommend that you consult the experts here to make sure you are optimizing your improvements.
    If you continue, you can do it. I was 46 and dropped from 230 to 165 (I competed naturally in BB). I was doing cardio 2x per day. At first, I could not even run 1/4 mile nonstop. Just keep at it. Within a little over a year I ran a 1/2 marathon. Set goals every week and evaluate where you are at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TRA likes this.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebuilt View Post
    Hi guys, new to the forum. Looking to get in the best shape of my life. I am 24,overweight and looking to start a long term commitment to eating clean and getting in good shape. I plan on working out for a good while before touching any aas, However I know this site is loaded with very knowledgeable people.

Currently, I am about 25% or more in terms of body fat, 5'10, 230lbs.
    Diet is Currently in check based off my calculations.

For a new comer, should i be lifting every second day? Like a normal style split:
    Day 1 : Shoulders/Tris Day 2 : Rest Day 3: Back and Bis , etc

Or would it be best to start a routine thats more like full body for a few weeks with compound movements?

Would Conditioning and Hiits help drop the weight quicker?

Should I start Cardio right at this point ( the beginning )?

I got a good schedule to incorporate a long term routine, just needs to get everything in order to start off with a good start.

Thanks for any advice / input.
    Imho a good cardio base is paramount to a lifting foundation when starting. Also helpful to start off with higher volume (more reps) in your lifting for a while to strengthen connective tissue in joints and build some endurance in muscles to prevent injury. The good thing in starting where you are is everything you do can be beneficial in some way or another if you put solid effort into it.
    Now is the perfect time to pay particular attention to form in your lifting also.

Diet as mentioned is KEY.
    Also try to think of this as a lifestyle change which you will adapt for the rest of your life as opposed to a quick way to lose weight. That worked for me years and years ago and I haven't looked back since.

Welcome and good luck!!
    charger69 likes this.

BBTrevor is offline Junior Member
    I agree with above posters ideas. Biggest focus is going to be getting into a routine, and feel good about..well..not feeling good and being tired and somewhat sore and getting the proper rest, work on your basics to start and learn to live and love the lifestyle, all about fundamentals. Even low weigh high reps are good to cut up and not focus on gaining massive amounts of muscle, listen to the body, train smart. Good luck.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If your gym offers any classes that women go to the head in there and set up in the back (unless it is CrossFit). At 24, your mind can mess with you in terms "what a guy should do so I am going to do it" but watching girls in yoga pants is motivation and if that fat/old woman can do it so can I....its motivation. Another benefit is you have group support and accountability.

Set goals that you can reach. Just write it down.

Know your TYDD and watch your diet. Take some pictures of yourself and keep track of your performance. Again, motivation.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are starting from cold turkey. Everything is important but the absolute most important item...get to the gym. There are no excuses in being successful. I workout MTuThF and NEVER miss those days. In a year I have missed zero lifting days. I can say my program is not the best but I am in there giving 100%. I can also say that nothing, even hot piece of woman, has made me miss a day of lifting. Set your days and do it for 3-months no misses and you are past the first step.

The thing I caution yourself against is worrying about your weight. Go in a gym and they have you doing some of the stupidest core exercises you ever seen even though you say...I want this type of program. The fitness instructors are idiots on the most part unless you get very lucky. Dude yesterday at my gym was preaching how important Behind the Neck Press is. No mention of it is the most dangerous exercise for permanent injury in the gym. Do your research and do the program you think is best and learn from your mistakes. Too much cardio and or too much stretching beyond range of motion can give you a setback before you even start.

Diet is important. The further you go the more important it becomes. That said it is the hardest item to stick to. Do not go all strict on yourself from the start is my thought. Set realistic goals. Saying you are going from bad to perfect in a day is not possible. My first three items was 1. Eating my protein 2. Drinking my 6L water a day. 3. Eating my Brocolli. Those three items done for 6 months then led me to having a lifestyle. I added my next three second half of the year. 1. Control my carbs 2. Remove Soda 3. Eat properly with Insulin . After the end of the year I was progressing so fast I had to force myself to slow down upping the weight so tendons could improve. In one year and six items later my diet was good enough as lifestyle that true tweeking and experimenting could be done.

Finally, respect the CNS. Central Nervous System is what you are actually training in the gym. You get the strength via CNS and the muscles are a side product if you eat correctly. CNS only allows you to progress so fast. Items like Testosterone and HGH allow you to push the CNS faster than it naturally can go. Don't get depressed at the start that you cannot move mountains. It takes time. I reccomend volume training for starters at lower weight. 10 x 10 for a single exercise per week for 6 weeks. Pick bench and push your way through the first barriers of CNS. Tell anyone to F off that you are doing it wrong because you are not 5x5 training or HITT is better or whatever. Just go do it and track your improvement. At the end of 5=weeks compare what you did at start to what you did at end. Be proud.

Last but not least...substances. Lot to know but I will give you pearls here. Take a new guy in the gym and a guy who has been lifting natural for 3 years. Put them both on a 500 test cycle. At the end of 12-weeks the new guy will have minimal gains no matter what substances were used. The 3-year guy will have incredible gains. Has nothing to do with effort. Has to do with how steroids work and cell manipulation/multiplication. I say that to say this. Steroids are a tool. They can never evvvveeer replace going to the gym. They can never rewrite the book of human physiology. Be realistic even when enhanced.

Good luck on your path. It is worth it.

Thread Information