anoxicblaze is offline Associate Member

Second wind - keep on going?

So, recently I've noticed that if I do a bit of cardio after my session (very light cardio) then go back to the exercise I started at, I can pretty much do my optimum weight again. I thought I had pushed myself to exhaustion but a twenty minute break and I can go again. But should I?
    E.g. On the bench I did 11, 8, 8, 7, 6, 4. Twenty minutes later go back. Pop it on the top weight. 12, 9, 4, 4. That's a lot of sets for one body part/motion . I bet I could have done a third with another break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Well,when i finish my training,i am totally fucked,soaked with sweat,and ready to collapse.I couldn't do cardio the same session,even if i wanted to.
    Depends on what each of us considers a real workout,i suppose.

Well, I was too fucked to walk home. Let's put it that way. Sat on a park bench for 30mins. It's possible that my trt is kicking in. Or it was just one of those days.

The cardio I do is extremely low intensity. My heart rate didn't go above 112.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anoxicblaze View Post
    So, recently I've noticed that if I do a bit of cardio after my session (very light cardio) then go back to the exercise I started at, I can pretty much do my optimum weight again. I thought I had pushed myself to exhaustion but a twenty minute break and I can go again. But should I?
    E.g. On the bench I did 11, 8, 8, 7, 6, 4. Twenty minutes later go back. Pop it on the top weight. 12, 9, 4, 4. That's a lot of sets for one body part/motion . I bet I could have done a third with another break.

My 2 cents... If you are doing 5 sets you should be only handling 5 reps each. Your weight is too low.

or

You should be focusing for 10 reps for 10 sets. Your weight is too high.

You need to fall into a mindset AND STICK TO THAT MINDSET. If you are able to go back and push the same weight you are not lifting heavy enough or not enough reps.

By it's very nature, training to failure every set implies you can't increase weight or reps. So, having researched, it must be a stamina thing.

I workout 6 days per week. I need to push hard enough so I can break down muscle tissue but not so hard that I can't recover for the next training day. Over the years I've come up with a regiment that works for me. By regiment, I mean AAS cycle, diet, exercise, and rest. If your training regiment is such that you can recover after a hard training day, keep going. BTW, 112BPM is pretty low cardio. Your body can recover at that level. Cardio, for me, means that I'm burning calories but not muscle tissue. I get my heart rate to about 140 to 160 and maintain for 20 to 30 minutes. I do cardio to cut fat.

To be honest I only do cardio so I can keep an eye on the weights I'm waiting to use. Better than sitting down. My stamina has increased even more since this post. I've gone from being wrecked after 6 sets to failure to 13 sets to failure. I'm assuming this is the TRT.

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member

Your central nervous system may be more fired up to go heavier and do more sets after a bout of low intensity cardio. Sometimes when you hit the weights relatively cold you don't do as much when you prime your nervous system.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

If it were immediate I might say try it and see how it works for you,,,,BUT twenty minutes later I'd have to say NO. I'm all about intensity and that 20 minutes is too long of a break in my view.

Thread Information