Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fat Loss: HIIT or LISS?

  1. #1
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    4,995
    Blog Entries
    162

    Fat Loss: HIIT or LISS?

    There are countless discussions on prepping for a physique competition, and whether low-intensity steady state cardio (LISS), fasted or not, or high-intensity interval training (HIIT) was most effective.

    Examine.com just published a fantastic discussion of a systematic review and meta-analysis looking at this exact question!

    Ultimately, the researchers determined that *on average*, so long as calorie output is equal, there is no difference between LISS and HIIT on fat loss. And that what ultimately matters for most is to pick modalities that you can see yourself sticking to long-term.

    Here's the link to read the whole breakdown and analysis of the paper: http://www.examine.com/nutrition/be-...-for-fat-loss/

    NOTE: Most of this text is stolen from a Facebook post.
    Last edited by tarmyg; 10-17-2017 at 10:51 AM.

  2. #2
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    There are countless discussions on prepping for a physique competition, and whether low-intensity steady state cardio (LISS), fasted or not, or high-intensity interval training (HIIT) was most effective.

    Examine.com just published a fantastic discussion of a systematic review and meta-analysis looking at this exact question!

    Ultimately, the researchers determined that *on average*, so long as calorie output is equal, there is no difference between LISS and HIIT on fat loss. And that what ultimately matters for most is to pick modalities that you can see yourself sticking to long-term.

    Here's the link to read the whole breakdown and analysis of the paper: http://www.examine.com/nutrition/be-...-for-fat-loss/

    NOTE: Most of this text is stolen from a Facebook post.
    Prepping for physique competition entails, ideally to lose bodyfat and build muscle at the same time. The longer you do cardio the more muscle you lose is suggested. If you do HIIT and take sprinting for example... research has found not only do you lose more fat than low intensity cardio but you actually gained muscle in the quad at the same time... Sprinting is anabolic ... Which just means you gain muscle... But your also burning fat...

    If you're talking about ONLY fat loss then it is plausible that high intensity and steady state cardio produce the same results. However, that is under inspection still. And I don't think anyone has the ultimate answer yet to which is better for fat loss... The article that is posted mainly goes into fat loss not muscle mass... If you are concerned with muscle mass then HIIT may be more advantageous else you will lose it with long cardio bouts. Also you need to consider the body composition of quote long steady state cardio... These body types are not what physique competitors aspire to be... Look at a marathon runner. As a bodybuilder, Mens physique competitor, etc your not aspiring to have a marathon physique. At the extreme an elite marathon runner has not much muscle.

    Good article posted and I definitely learned some things but the verdict is still out on fat loss specifically... However, I had posted this before... I think both have merit... They both need to be included in a good program or overall health profile. Its just that some studies suggest more fat loss with HIIT.... even though this article suggest equal amount of fat loss. However, in this article they do go into how there are some problems with the studies they are combining... So the research isn't exactly clear yet... But when it comes to muscle mass and physique competitors muscle mass becomes a factor on which cardio type to choose not just fat loss... Personally, I like and do both.

  3. #3
    MuscleScience is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,963
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Prepping for physique competition entails, ideally to lose bodyfat and build muscle at the same time. The longer you do cardio the more muscle you lose is suggested. If you do HIIT and take sprinting for example... research has found not only do you lose more fat than low intensity cardio but you actually gained muscle in the quad at the same time... Sprinting is anabolic ... Which just means you gain muscle... But your also burning fat...

    If you're talking about ONLY fat loss then it is plausible that high intensity and steady state cardio produce the same results. However, that is under inspection still. And I don't think anyone has the ultimate answer yet to which is better for fat loss... The article that is posted mainly goes into fat loss not muscle mass... If you are concerned with muscle mass then HIIT may be more advantageous else you will lose it with long cardio bouts. Also you need to consider the body composition of quote long steady state cardio... These body types are not what physique competitors aspire to be... Look at a marathon runner. As a bodybuilder, Mens physique competitor, etc your not aspiring to have a marathon physique. At the extreme an elite marathon runner has not much muscle.

    Good article posted and I definitely learned some things but the verdict is still out on fat loss specifically... However, I had posted this before... I think both have merit... They both need to be included in a good program or overall health profile. Its just that some studies suggest more fat loss with HIIT.... even though this article suggest equal amount of fat loss. However, in this article they do go into how there are some problems with the studies they are combining... So the research isn't exactly clear yet... But when it comes to muscle mass and physique competitors muscle mass becomes a factor on which cardio type to choose not just fat loss... Personally, I like and do both.
    Individual variation is so hard to take into account and with the small sample sizes for most studies. There isnít enough data to statistically account for confounding factors. Personally for me, I love HIIT. There is descent enough evidence to support that HIIT training preserves and may actually help build lean muscle mass. Partly because of the larger Number of motor units your body recruits when performing a near maximal exercise and also due to lactate buildup in the blood stream. Blood lactate levels and exercise induced HGH release have a linear relationship with each other. If you get very high levels of blood lactate you get a similar release of GH.

    The whole losing muscle with increased cardio is a bit of broscience and gym lore left over from the 70ís and 80ís when the science wasnít so developed. It was construded that long distance running would make you lose muscle and look like a marathon runner. There is truth to that of course, but we are talking about two extremes that a bodybuilder would need to put their body into inorder to lose hard earned muscle mass. One, being in an extremely caloric deficient state and two doing extreme amounts of Cardio on top of that. A typical bodybuilder isnít going to be running 100miles a week and be dropping calories to 500-1000/day. An hour of cardio and a deficiency of 500 a day will produce nice fat loss. Couple anabolics on top of that, you can even increase that calorie deficient even more without fear of much muscle loss.

    What all the studies do point to regardless of methodology is consistency. If you want to loss Bf you need to be consistent with your cardio and your diet.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-17-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    ďIf you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.Ē Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  4. #4
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,300
    I compete and I started HIIT this year and it was a big difference for me. I agree with MS. I had issues with leg development and I was accomlishing LISS. I wasnt losing muscle, but I was not gaining at the rate I needed.

  5. #5
    Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Asia but not Asian.
    Posts
    1,554
    This is a strictly individual item. I really hate when groups try to put things into boxes for marketing purposes. The truth is everyone of them use substances that make their workout style irrelevant. It is all about diet and cardio.

    Waiting for the millions of "Natural" bodybuilders hanging out on a steroid forum to show up now and slam me..... lol

    I have guys all day long come to me asking how I break plateaus like a big dog while they are stuck dancing to the HITT merrygoround. The VERY first thing that should be said is results for ANY program will directly correlate to your years in the training. More years in the better your understanding of diet. Better your diet the less plateaus you will hit. Hell 90% of the people think diet means "reduction of calories".

    /Rantover

  6. #6
    MuscleScience is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,963
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    This is a strictly individual item. I really hate when groups try to put things into boxes for marketing purposes. The truth is everyone of them use substances that make their workout style irrelevant. It is all about diet and cardio.

    Waiting for the millions of "Natural" bodybuilders hanging out on a steroid forum to show up now and slam me..... lol

    I have guys all day long come to me asking how I break plateaus like a big dog while they are stuck dancing to the HITT merrygoround. The VERY first thing that should be said is results for ANY program will directly correlate to your years in the training. More years in the better your understanding of diet. Better your diet the less plateaus you will hit. Hell 90% of the people think diet means "reduction of calories".

    /Rantover
    That’s exactly right, I’ve put in 20 hard years of work to get where I’m at. Lots of dudes think in 3 months they can be jacked up and strong.
    ďIf you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.Ē Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  7. #7
    guitarzan's Avatar
    guitarzan is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    That’s exactly right, I’ve put in 20 hard years of work to get where I’m at. Lots of dudes think in 3 months they can be jacked up and strong.
    3 months won't do it? Crap, no wonder I'm not jacked!

  8. #8
    guitarzan's Avatar
    guitarzan is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    2,411
    That is interesting ms. I've always believed after 20 mins or so of cardio, the body went into a catabolic state. Well crap, I guess I don't have anymore excuses for only doing hiit at 20 mins

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •