JDToronto is offline Associate Member

Muscle loss in a week?

I've not worked out in about a week due to having a bad cough/viral infection. For some reason I've noticed muscle loss, can this be true? Only after a week one losses muscle? I tried to keep up my food intake etc. I should be back to it tomorrow.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can't gain, or lose a noticeable amount of muscle in a week, IMO. I guess you could if you didn't eat anything in a week, it's probably mental, or loss of fluids

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    You can't gain, or lose a noticeable amount of muscle in a week, IMO. I guess you could if you didn't eat anything in a week, it's probably mental, or loss of fluids
    I did some research and it states that ;

If you take a week or two away from the gym, you probably won’t lose strength or muscle mass.
    If you take more than three weeks off, you’ll lose at least a little bit of strength and muscle, but you’ll regain it quickly when you start lifting again.
    You can maintain your strength and muscle mass by lifting weights at least once per week.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    most people confuse muscle glycogen and inter cellular water retention in the muscle cells itself as muscle 'tissue' loss.
    its not . if you get depleted and lose water and glycogen stores from the muscle then your muscle gets smaller and flatter, period. this is not muscle tissue loss though and it can be filled right back up.

I just got the stomach flu, didn't eat for 3 days, had no water, and obviously did not train. I lost 20 pounds and probably 2 inches off my arms and another 3 off my chest . I did NOT loose all that muscle . I simply got totally depleted and flat and lost all my muscle fullness . it will come right back . 40iu of insulin per day, 800 grams of carbs, two a day training sessions with a lot of pump work , and I will fill back out big time and probably put 25 pounds back on in a matter of a few days.
    that would not be possible if it was actual tissue loss
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 12-11-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    most people confuse muscle glycogen and inter cellular water retention in the muscle cells itself as muscle 'tissue' loss.
    its not . if you get depleted and lose water and glycogen stores from the muscle then your muscle gets smaller and flatter, period. this is not muscle tissue loss though and it can be filled right back up.

I just got the stomach flu, didn't eat for 3 days, had no water, and obviously did not train. I lost 20 pounds and probably 2 inches off my arms and another 3 off my chest . I did NOT loose all that muscle . I simply got totally depleted and flat and lost all my muscle fullness . it will come right back . 40iu of insulin per day, 800 grams of carbs, two a day training sessions with a lot of pump work , and I will fill back out big time and probably put 25 pounds back on in a matter of a few days.
    that would not be possible if it was actual tissue loss
    Makes sense, actually. I did a chest workout yesterday and didn't feel strength issues. I shouldn't of worked out because I'm still sick and just found out I have walking pneumonia (mild version). But I started to feel so sluggish as if I was getting more out of shape. If that's you in your tumbler pic, you have Nothing to worry about. Damn good shape.

Thread Information