Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By kronik420
  • 4 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By Jerry2020
  • 3 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By AlphaMindz

Thread: Best training regime on first cycle Test E - hypertrophy or strength?

Jerry2020 is offline Junior Member

Best training regime on first cycle Test E - hypertrophy or strength?

Hi all

I’m almost 5 weeks into my first cycle of 500mg Test E per week. Things are going great so far with plenty of weight (of course mostly water at this stage) and strength gains.

My question is around what you guys think would be the most beneficial training regime. I have two regimes I got from a friend a while ago that seem to work really well for me. One is a high volume, high intensity hypertrophy regime with plenty of reps, lower weights, super sets etc. This is what I’ve been doing for the first 5 weeks of my cycle so far.

The second regime I have (which I find more fun) is a strength based regime. Less reps, higher weights with some 5x5s and even less reps on some days/weeks.

I like to constantly keep my training mixed up so after the 5 week point I’m looking to revert over to the strength regime. I just want to know everyone’s thoughts on this as obviously on a first cycle muscle growth is the goal, which the hypertrophy regime seems to be doing well with so far. Is there still a place for strength training? I’m thinking maybe if I can work on my strength it will help me keep my gains even better when discontinuing the cycle.

Anyway, all thoughts and experiences and opinions are welcome.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    keep going with the high volume stuff, once you start PCT switch to strength training.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    keep going with the high volume stuff, once you start PCT switch to strength training.
    A fellow Aussie, good to see. I’ll look into that, if you have some time could you elaborate on why that would be a good way about things? Just like to keep myself informed that’s all

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    steroids greatly increase the ability to hypertrophy sarcoplasmic muscle tissue specifically . Training in higher volume higher rep ranges is stimulating sarcoplasmic fibers. Training low rep with heavy weights for strength activates more myofibrillar muscle tissue.
    Steroids also increase your capacity for muscle glycogen and inter cellular water retention (meaning you'll be able to bust out a lot more reps then normally would).

so because of these two things then you might as well take advantage of them while on cycle . get that sarcoplasmic muscle tissue growth and muscle fullness and size. THEN when you come off cycle and start PCT switch over to a more strength orientated program that will help your body adapt and want to keep the newly acquired gains.

Not to blow smoke up your ass GH but I seriously think I should be paying you for the knowledge you empart on these forums haha, amazing stuff

I think I’ll change up to the exercises that are contained in the second regime but keep up the higher reps for the previously discussed reasons, looking forward to it, already up 20lb in just over 4 weeks so things are progressing quickly! Whoever says you need more than Test E for a first cycle is kidding themselves, I wouldn’t want change coming at any more of a rapid pace than I’m already experiencing
    GearHeaded likes this.

1moreset024 is offline Banned
    Hypertrophy to sarcoplasmic muscle tissue.

Well I'll be damned if that isn't s mouth full.

Did you study this stuff in a college or University?

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 1moreset024 View Post
    Hypertrophy to sarcoplasmic muscle tissue.

Well I'll be damned if that isn't s mouth full.

Did you study this stuff in a college or University?
    no formal education in university , but I've studied this stuff for years and it is my job as a trainer/coach, and the more I learn the more value I add for my clients
    Clove1234, TRTdrew and songdog like this.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    Amen to that

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That is some good info about hypertrophy vs strength training, but at the end of the day what's right for you depends on what your goals are. If you're purely trying to get stronger then train with heavier weights for less reps, but if you're trying to get a bodybuilder physique then you gotta do reps, reps and more f*n reps! I'm exaggerating a bit here to get my point across, but for striations and mature muscle development one needs to focus on time under tension which ultimately is achieved by doing a lot of reps. I suppose one could achieve that by doing a lot of slow reps with long negatives (which is actually good to mix in and use as a tool to break through plateaus) but personally I'd get bored training like that all the time plus I feel like a solid pump would be harder to achieve that way. However, I feel the best overall approach is to mix up your training so you can stimulate both types of fibers that GearHeaded mentioned and build quality muscle while also increasing your strength. For example, I work out in the higher rep ranges but I have a heavy bench day or heavy dead lift day to feel the weight and let my muscles/ CNS know I'm not f*in around !
    Jerry2020 and zigzagzig like this.

zigzagzig is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    steroids greatly increase the ability to hypertrophy sarcoplasmic muscle tissue specifically . Training in higher volume higher rep ranges is stimulating sarcoplasmic fibers. Training low rep with heavy weights for strength activates more myofibrillar muscle tissue.
    Steroids also increase your capacity for muscle glycogen and inter cellular water retention (meaning you'll be able to bust out a lot more reps then normally would).

so because of these two things then you might as well take advantage of them while on cycle . get that sarcoplasmic muscle tissue growth and muscle fullness and size. THEN when you come off cycle and start PCT switch over to a more strength orientated program that will help your body adapt and want to keep the newly acquired gains.
    I'm starting my first Test E (only) cycle in a few weeks and this advice is right on what I needed to build my routine. Thanks a lot.

I'm planning the following split:
    day 1 - leg/abs
    day 2 - chest/shoulder/tri
    day 3 - back/biceps

What I'm not sure yet is how to better allocate rest days. Since I'll be on AAS, my body will be able to recover faster, so I could have less rest days. However, I still may face overtraining. Any advice on how to build the weekly schedule of training days vs. rest days?

ac919u is offline New Member
    Any chance you can private message me? I need your help if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post

Thread Information