• 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz

Thread: Busy schedule- need advice

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member

Busy schedule- need advice

What's up bros and ladies so I need some input on an issue I have with limited time for training. My career has taken off and on top of that I have a 5 year old and just don't have the time to hit the gym everyday like I used to, and quite frankly it sucks cause that's my sanctuary! Some people go to church, some hit meetings, I get my therapy in the gym. However, these days I'm lucky if I can get there 5 times a week, usually it's 4 times, and on top of that I can't stay for more than an hour/ hour 1/2 on a good day. So my question is since I can't go enough times to focus on 2 muscle groups per session, I've been doing insane supersets and hitting almost every upper body muscle one day, then the same for lower body the next day or 2 days later and then by the 3rd or 4th day I'll hit upper body again (always focusing on lagging body parts with precedence over stronger ones) and I've been getting ok results but I haven't made significant strength gains doing this. I feel like I'm more so just keeping the gains I already have and maybe bringing out a bit more def and separation. So if you guys were in this situation (I'm sure some of you are or have been) how would you maximize on your time in the gym for optimal results? Do you think what I'm doing now is the way to go, or would you focus more on just a couple muscle groups with greater volume and hit them less per week? Appreciate your feedback guys.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Well, I have a 16 yo, work ungodly hours, go to school for my 3rd degree, all at 51 yo and still hit the gym 2x per day.
    I am not saying that this is possible for everyone. I get up at 2:45 am to be able to eat and go to the gym before work. No one notices, so this is a freebie.
    The second workout is a family thing. My son goes and does his routine and my wife goes to body pump or Zumba classes.
    I train each muscle independent. In your case, I would do a push/pull routine. Ie bicep/ tricep. Back/chest legs, shoulders. Or back/ bicep, chest /triceps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There are many variations in volume, intensity, rest between sets et.c. Personally I am a big believer in HIT. In fact the longer you stay in the gym the more catabolic you become. It is far more optimal to train at maximum intensity, taking each set to absolute failure, than doing several sub maximal sets.

Often it is hard to explain what taking a set to failure means, especially through text. Keep a log book where you note down weights, sets, reps... Every workout try to beat the last one. Progressive overload is the key to making gains! Do you think you'll grow if you do the same weights for months? No. But why would doing endless sets of the same weights suddenly produce results? This way, if you are holding yourself back a rep or two or three from failure, in the next training session you have no option but to push harder and reach the limit. The last rep should be slow and agonizing and often lead to you being stuck midway through, but this is what signals the body to adapt (grow) to prepare itself for the demands you are putting on it. This is why I bench in a rack so that I don't have to crush myself when I can't get the bar up lol.

Read through this large thread: **Marcus's HIT Dungeon**

or google HIT
    or google AST
    or DoggCrapp

they're all variations of this style of training in essence. You'll have to gauge how much volume you can handle (how many exercises), your preferred rep ranges, selection of exercises...
    Last edited by cousinmuscles; 12-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    kronik420 likes this.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    what's your goals?

4x per week 1-1.5 hours should be more than enough to achieve almost any goal.

if im training for strength i'll train m/w/f, rotating between push/pull exercises, so for example:

workout A
    squats 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    shoulder press 5x5

workout B
    Dead lifts 5x5
    Chin ups 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5

if training for hypertrophy you can do basically the same, just increase the reps, decrease your rest between sets..or there's always HIT style training (watch Dorian Yates blood and guts on YouTube, workouts last about 45 minutes)...if you have got the option to buy yourself a home gym setup, that could help.. power rack + barbell + bench is all you need to start...either way i think that 4x per week 1-1.5 hours each session is more than enough to achieve whatever your goals are.. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Well, I have a 16 yo, work ungodly hours, go to school for my 3rd degree, all at 51 yo and still hit the gym 2x per day.
    I am not saying that this is possible for everyone. I get up at 2:45 am to be able to eat and go to the gym before work. No one notices, so this is a freebie.
    The second workout is a family thing. My son goes and does his routine and my wife goes to body pump or Zumba classes.
    I train each muscle independent. In your case, I would do a push/pull routine. Ie bicep/ tricep. Back/chest legs, shoulders. Or back/ bicep, chest /triceps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's admirable man but not too realistic for me at this time. Thank you for the push/pull idea I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    what's your goals?

4x per week 1-1.5 hours should be more than enough to achieve almost any goal.

if im training for strength i'll train m/w/f, rotating between push/pull exercises, so for example:

workout A
    squats 5x5
    Bench press 5x5
    shoulder press 5x5

workout B
    Dead lifts 5x5
    Chin ups 5x5
    Bent over rows 5x5

if training for hypertrophy you can do basically the same, just increase the reps, decrease your rest between sets..or there's always HIT style training (watch Dorian Yates blood and guts on YouTube, workouts last about 45 minutes)...if you have got the option to buy yourself a home gym setup, that could help.. power rack + barbell + bench is all you need to start...either way i think that 4x per week 1-1.5 hours each session is more than enough to achieve whatever your goals are.. IMHO
    Thats a good point bro. I def go hard af and leave it all in the gym every session. I just feel like I'm not hitting every muscle group enough times for optimal gains, but then again I am hitting them with a lot of intensity. My goals are to put on another 10 lbs of muscle and lose about 15 lbs of fat. I'm currently about 217-220 about 13% bf aka feel like a small fat guy lol you know how that goes! I'm in decent shape for most peoples standards but I'm pretty f*in far from where I wanna be. I have aspirations to step on a regional BB stage at some point but obviously need to wait for work to slow down a bit for that to be feasible for me. I cant roll like my man charger and get up at 2:45am lol I respect the hell outta that but I need my 7 hours of sleep most nights to function optimally. Thanks for the feedback guys

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I think Push / Pull / Legs is a good option for you . one workout you do all your pushing exercises and add in triceps and delts, next workout is all your pulling exercises, back, rear delts and add in biceps , next workout is legs. then repeat

if you like to do a more 'bro split' and workout one to two body parts per week, but your time is very short in the gym, 50 mins or less. Then HIT may be an option

if you respond well to more high frequency training, then a modified full body routine may be an option. workout one you work the whole front side of your body (chest, front delts, biceps, abs, quads) , then the next workout you do the whole backside of your body (traps, back, lats, rear delts, triceps, hamstrings, calves). you just repeat this back and fourth every workout (you can change up the exercises some each session). if your able to get in 4 workouts per week then you worked each body part at least twice . if you got busy and only made it to the gym twice that week, well guess what you still hit every body part and did not neglect one (whereas with other splits you would have neglected a body part or two)

^ this works great for people with busy schedules who are prone to missing workouts during the week . I've implemented it with a lot of clients with success and they are able to ADHERE to the program . ADHERENCE is the key to success

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    What's up bros and ladies so I need some input on an issue I have with limited time for training. My career has taken off and on top of that I have a 5 year old and just don't have the time to hit the gym everyday like I used to, and quite frankly it sucks cause that's my sanctuary! Some people go to church, some hit meetings, I get my therapy in the gym. However, these days I'm lucky if I can get there 5 times a week, usually it's 4 times, and on top of that I can't stay for more than an hour/ hour 1/2 on a good day. So my question is since I can't go enough times to focus on 2 muscle groups per session, I've been doing insane supersets and hitting almost every upper body muscle one day, then the same for lower body the next day or 2 days later and then by the 3rd or 4th day I'll hit upper body again (always focusing on lagging body parts with precedence over stronger ones) and I've been getting ok results but I haven't made significant strength gains doing this. I feel like I'm more so just keeping the gains I already have and maybe bringing out a bit more def and separation. So if you guys were in this situation (I'm sure some of you are or have been) how would you maximize on your time in the gym for optimal results? Do you think what I'm doing now is the way to go, or would you focus more on just a couple muscle groups with greater volume and hit them less per week? Appreciate your feedback guys.
    If your work is getting in the way then you need to get your priorities straight. Quit your job. If your family is getting in the way, they will leave once you quit your job. You see how I planned this layout for you? Quit job first, then family leaves. It will save you a lot of time in having to run them off, so you pick the most essential thing first and get it out of the way.
    I just freed up your day.
    GearHeaded and kronik420 like this.

hey rnsplg it won't let me reply to your post for some reason but thanks for your feedback brotha
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    If your work is getting in the way then you need to get your priorities straight. Quit your job. If your family is getting in the way, they will leave once you quit your job. You see how I planned this layout for you? Quit job first, then family leaves. It will save you a lot of time in having to run them off, so you pick the most essential thing first and get it out of the way.
    lol, thats pretty good point and well executed plan .

ok, OP screw what I said about only getting 2 workouts a week in . we are going to two a days everyday with the new plan of Obs !
    Obs likes this.

I am sorry listen to Dr. Obs. Screw that other stuff.. Its just fluff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I think Push / Pull / Legs is a good option for you . one workout you do all your pushing exercises and add in triceps and delts, next workout is all your pulling exercises, back, rear delts and add in biceps , next workout is legs. then repeat

if you like to do a more 'bro split' and workout one to two body parts per week, but your time is very short in the gym, 50 mins or less. Then HIT may be an option

if you respond well to more high frequency training, then a modified full body routine may be an option. workout one you work the whole front side of your body (chest, front delts, biceps, abs, quads) , then the next workout you do the whole backside of your body (traps, back, lats, rear delts, triceps, hamstrings, calves). you just repeat this back and fourth every workout (you can change up the exercises some each session). if your able to get in 4 workouts per week then you worked each body part at least twice . if you got busy and only made it to the gym twice that week, well guess what you still hit every body part and did not neglect one (whereas with other splits you would have neglected a body part or two)

^ this works great for people with busy schedules who are prone to missing workouts during the week . I've implemented it with a lot of clients with success and they are able to ADHERE to the program . ADHERENCE is the key to success
    Hey brotha yeah I like the idea of hitting front side in one session and then hitting backside in another. What do you think the benefits would be of doing that vs just hitting upper body in one shot and doing it short and intense 15 sets per muscle group with super sets (ie. machine curls and wide grip pull ups super sets or flat bench with cable rows superset) very little rest between sets and for strong areas only doing 6-8 sets??.. That's what Ive been doing and it feels pretty efficient but I honestly don't know if it's optimal. Approaching it like that also has the added bonus of letting me apply the priority principle by default bc there isnt enough time to hit everything equally.

i like the way you think bro lol only prob is if I'm not working how would I afford my gear!?
    GearHeaded and Obs like this.

i like the way you think bro lol only prob is if I'm not working how would I afford my gear!?
    Because that's literally the only flaw I see in that plan lmao
    charger69 and Obs like this.

buy it all in bulk now . once you spend 20k$ in gear, and then quit your job, the wifey is sure to get outta your hair that much quicker
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    buy it all in bulk now . once you spend 20k$ in gear, and then quit your job, the wifey is sure to get outta your hair that much quicker
    ^^^ obviously speaking from experience^^^
    We must be connected on some other level...
    GearHeaded and charger69 like this.

^^^ obviously speaking from experience^^^
    We must be connected on some other level...
    I saw the beauty of your plan from the minute you posted , just adding to the extravagance of it
    get what you can before shit hit the fan . when divorce court comes around its easy to split funds in joint bank account , not so easy to split 20$k in steroids
    kronik420, Obs and charger69 like this.

I saw the beauty of your plan from the minute you posted , just adding to the extravagance of it
    get what you can before shit hit the fan . when divorce court comes around its easy to split funds in joint bank account , not so easy to split 20$k in steroids
    Man I get on here to get some training advice next thing I know I'm placing 20$k orders of gear and strategically planning an exit strategy from my family and occupation wtf happened lmao
    charger69 likes this.

Man I get on here to get some training advice next thing I know I'm placing 20$k orders of gear and strategically planning an exit strategy from my family and occupation wtf happened lmao
    we are just looking out for the best interest of your GAINS brother
    AlphaMindz likes this.

Obs
    Alphamindz meet alaph minds

Obs
    Imo you can do it all in four days just fine just push hard at the gym add some small muscle groups together and give extra pushes to your diet.

Example
    Chest upper back
    Arms shoulders traps
    Hams quads
    Calves abs forearms

Alphamindz meet alaph minds
    Haha pleasure to make your acquaintance gentlemen.

So that's some good feedback fellas, appreciate it. The take away for me is basically keep doing what I'm doing, but I'm gonna try hitting front side of body and backside of body in separate sessions...feel like that may be a good way to break up the work load without falling into the "oh guess I don't have time to do deads today" predicament lol. I'm def guilty of focusing more on upper body but at least I have good genetics for legs so I don't look asymmetrical...yet! Do you guys have muscle groups that you hit more often than others? For example, I like hitting abs and delts in almost every work out (even if only for a few sets just to get some blood in there). You guys think there's any benefit to that or do you think that may be counterproductive..?

Imo you can do it all in four days just fine just push hard at the gym add some small muscle groups together and give extra pushes to your diet.

Example
    Chest upper back
    Arms shoulders traps
    Hams quads
    Calves abs forearms
    Do you only hit abs once a week?

Obs
    Do you only hit abs once a week?
    Yes but my abs are not impressive

Yes but my abs are not impressive
    Yeah I mean they're not bad either but you're pretty lean I feel like they could be poppin more if you hit that roman chair a few days a week. My abs have come a long way just from throwing that into the mix regularly. Biggest benefit IMO is that full stretch at the bottom where most ab exercises you can get that contraction but difficult to get a nice stretch.. Do you rely more on compound lifts for ab development currently?
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Yeah I mean they're not bad either but you're pretty lean I feel like they could be poppin more if you hit that roman chair a few days a week. My abs have come a long way just from throwing that into the mix regularly. Biggest benefit IMO is that full stretch at the bottom where most ab exercises you can get that contraction but difficult to get a nice stretch.. Do you rely more on compound lifts for ab development currently?
    I rely more on diet and compounds for abs. Christmas set me back they were good. My ab training is straight leg raises crunches and situps.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Gotcha, yeah check out those romans bro (if your gym has one) they're def my favorite way to hit abs lately
    Obs likes this.

I rely more on diet and compounds for abs..
    so when you really want your abs to pop you just double your dosage of Tren right ?

^ joking aside, Tren is actually my go to compound for abs while on a cut. Abs are like every other muscle and contain glycogen stores. They will fill out while taking Tren, and at the same time Tren burns up the calories and the ab fat melts away
    Obs likes this.

[QUOTE=AlphaMindz;7348893]So that's some good feedback fellas, appreciate it. The take away for me is basically keep doing what I'm doing, but I'm gonna try hitting front side of body and backside of body in separate sessions...feel like that may be a good way to break up the work load without falling into the "oh guess I don't have time to do deads today" predicament lol. I'm def guilty of focusing more on upper body but at least I have good genetics for legs so I don't look asymmetrical...yet! Do you guys have muscle groups that you hit more often than others? For example, I like hitting abs and delts in almost every work out (even if only for a few sets just to get some blood in there). You guys think there's any benefit to that or do you think that may be counterproductive..?[/QUOTE
    I hit calves three times a week and abs almost daily. I do agree with Obs that diet is 90%. On the calves i go heavy, light, and moderate. They were a lagging body part, but i have brought them up.

Obs
    absolutely
    so when you really want your abs to pop you just double your dosage of Tren right ?

^ joking aside, Tren is actually my go to compound for abs while on a cut. Abs are like every other muscle and contain glycogen stores. They will fill out while taking Tren, and at the same time Tren burns up the calories and the ab fat melts away

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    Lots of good advice here.

Yeah man I completely agree Tren produces unbelievable results in that it allows you to keep building muscle in a caloric deficit, keeps you full (I think in part due to the IGF-1 increase and nutrient partitioning), while helping your body metabolize fat (I feel that it's particularly noticeable around the mid-section (prob due to the high androgenic rating).
    GearHeaded likes this.

And great point about abs needing glycogen like every other muscle to look full. When I cut I drastically cut carbs but I'll carb cycle to regain fullness so for 3 days less than 100-150 grams of carbs and I'll start looking flat af (I've actually felt like it wasn't working before cause the flatness makes me look like I have higher bf) but the day after I carb load holy shit dude my f*in abs will pop nicely!
    GearHeaded likes this.

Thread Information