Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cousinmuscles

Thread: Good Program For Improving Deadlift PR?

useless1 is offline Registered User

Good Program For Improving Deadlift PR?

My deadlift sucks, my max is 315 and I cannot seem to hit anything higher. Even with all the block pulls and deficit deadlifts and assistant work, I can't seem to get passed it.

I was looking for a new program and came across this: deadliftworkouts.com/coanphillipi-deadlift-routine-10-weeks-max-attempt/

Has anyone done the Coan routine? Can't find much testimonies on it.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    I broke through my plateaus doing a couple things. I switched from doing any “reps” of dead lifts and only pull singles now. So if you have 225 on the bar, i load up, pull one then reset and pull another. None of the bouncing off the floor. You get used to hitting one rep maxes. This will also dial in your from the floor form, which I’m gonna assume your form is on point.

The other ways that helped me dramatically are heavy barbell rows with straps, any variation of those. Again i mostly like to to a pendelay row from the floor. And the one thing i would recommend the most would be heavy rack pulls. I rotate between a higher and lower setting on the rack at my gym. Has worked wonders for me

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    try doing 5x5 for a few weeks, increasing your 5RM will increase your 1RM.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by useless1 View Post
    My deadlift sucks, my max is 315 and I cannot seem to hit anything higher. Even with all the block pulls and deficit deadlifts and assistant work, I can't seem to get passed it.

I was looking for a new program and came across this: deadliftworkouts.com/coanphillipi-deadlift-routine-10-weeks-max-attempt/

Has anyone done the Coan routine? Can't find much testimonies on it.
    I would try something more simple to begin with like a 6 week period where you train different rep ranges at different percentages of your max, e.g. week 1 75% for max reps, week 2 80%, week 3 85%, week 4 90%, week 5 95%, week 6 100% for max reps. Then deload for a week and if you hit more than one rep in week 6 readjust this and start over.

Then of course you have form, intensity, are you doing enough assistance work, are you overtraining, getting enough rest, diet?

That program assumes you can predict how much you will increase your lift in 10 weeks and bases the percentages on that... just try simple linear periodization first and see if you can get 2 or more reps with your 1RM. You can even do a cycle with a deadlift variation and get stronger in that before you go back to deads.
    Clove1234 likes this.

Clove1234 is offline Associate Member
    Ever heard of the 5-3-1 programming? Works pretty well for some of the people i train

Sinisterdog is offline New Member
    I can second the 5/3/1 method. Very simple to follow and easy to find a variation that addresses your needs. Something that Wendler recommends for accessory work to assist a deadlift is what he calls Kroc Rows. Basically it’s a single arm DB row with the heaviest dB you can handle. Warmup with a lighter weight , then grab a heavy one and crank out as many reps as possible. Like 15-20 or more. Improves pulling power, grip strength and adds size. If your grip is ok use straps and go super heavy. Just google Kroc Rows and you’ll see it.
    The other thing is what/where are you failing the lift on? Is your grip giving out? Sticking halfway up? Can’t break off the floor? Different problems all giving the same result, a failed lift. Video yourself and see if you can spot where your form breaks down or where a potential sticking point is.
    Another thought is are you bracing properly? Weak core or failing to brave can cause issues. Have you considered using a belt just for your top work sets? Maybe consider using straps just for the last set of 315 and bust out an extra rep or two. Then do supplemental grip work later.

I actually went the other way in my training. Instead of loading up the bar, I took weights off and went for reps. i.e. 225# dead lift for 100 reps. I was trying to build not just the strength in my back but also the endurance. I would track how long it would take me to do 100 reps. I can chart my progress by how my total time dropped. When my time was consistent over several workouts, I would try a 5 rep max and then calculate my 1RM. I don't do 1RM, I can't chance an injury.

Thread Information