• 1 Post By ScotchGuard02
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 2 Post By DocToxin8
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By ScotchGuard02

Thread: Electric ab stimulator

Luttrj is offline Associate Member

Electric ab stimulator

What are your thoughts on these devices that contract then release ab muscles. Works like a tens unit.
    What about to add to an already good ab workout routine?
    Do you think it can help definition at all?

Seems like snake oil to me.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    no

Not really any explanation needed

Luttrj is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.hornbuckle View Post
    no

Not really any explanation needed
    Well it was explanations that i was curious to read. Surely gotta be one pro about it vs all cons? Well ok, maybe not

Electric muscle stimulation's bee around for a long time. I've seen Bruce Lee using it while lifting weights. I use it to massage my lower back when it gets really bad. As for building definition and muscle? No, it's just marketing.
    Luttrj likes this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    Electric muscle stimulation's bee around for a long time. I've seen Bruce Lee using it while lifting weights. I use it to massage my lower back when it gets really bad. As for building definition and muscle? No, it's just marketing.
    I'm with you. I've used them for injuries (TENS units) but as far as muscle growth or definition, I'm not a believer and I think its a hoax.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I have met a guy immune to them. Same guy would walk under an electric fence holding it over his head and hand the wire to an unaware person and watch them hit the ground and laugh.

I am sure there is a science behind why it can't work but watching that guy hooked up on the highest setting, not ever flinching... Nah, it does jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I have met a guy immune to them. Same guy would walk under an electric fence holding it over his head and hand the wire to an unaware person and watch them hit the ground and laugh.

I am sure there is a science behind why it can't work but watching that guy hooked up on the highest setting, not ever flinching... Nah, it does jack.
    I had an electric fence hit my back when I was try to get under it and I face planted right into the mud. Man, I can't hardly believe someone can just grab it and lift it over himself. DANG!
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    I had an electric fence hit my back when I was try to get under it and I face planted right into the mud. Man, I can't hardly believe someone can just grab it and lift it over himself. DANG!
    Guy would grab a spark plug wire and spark plug, and have someone crank the engine or do it while it was running to see if it was firing.

Watched him grab 220 once. He said "its hot."

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have met a guy immune to them. Same guy would walk under an electric fence holding it over his head and hand the wire to an unaware person and watch them hit the ground and laugh....
    Gotta wonder what would happen if he had a heart attack and EMTs hit him with the defibrillator paddles.
    Obs likes this.

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Electric stimulation of the muscles work. That’s a fact and very reproducible in animal experiments.
    At my university I’ve seen first hand electric stimulation of the hind muscles in the rat. (And this was after denervation of the muscle)

So yea, it clearly works.

Then the next sound question to ask is;
    To what degree?
    And is it better than regular resistance training?

Well here’s the thing.
    Electric stimulation of the muscle without coupling the muscle to a lever of resistance means that what you are basically doing is just tensing the muscle and letting go.
    But since you do it electrically you don’t need willpower or signals from the brain to do it.

So here’s the cons;

It is probably more painful than resistance excersize if you’re gonna get any effect to speak of.
    Hence, this is a valid method during an injury, but to do it when you can perfectly well do this with your own brain (and with resistance), well there’s not much benefit really.

To couple it with a resistance program might help you a little, you are after all using the muscle, and if you down a bottle of pain killers every time you can stimulate the muscle a great deal and for a long time.

But realistically; I wouldn’t invest much money into this unless you got serious injuries like paralysis, etc.

For sure, get a cheap one and try it out, the theory is sound and it does work, but don’t expect much.

If you had severed your spinal column this would work miracles compared to nothing. But as an add on for a healthy person... it’s gonna be nothing more than what you could do yourself with a few extra sets in the gym.

But if you don’t mind electric stimulation of your abs when in the couch for hours then it might benefit you to a noticeable degree.
    Just don’t throw money away on some fancy shit if you ain’t sick.

You basically just need a battery (check out the power level you can tolerate), two electrodes fastened o the muscles, and two variables;
    Time of stimulation, and interval between stimulation.
    Then after and hour of this you’ll be sick Of it and think sit ups isn’t a big deal after all.
    KINGKONG and ScotchGuard02 like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Gotta wonder what would happen if he had a heart attack and EMTs hit him with the defibrillator paddles.
    He drank himself to death.
    We had some great poker games though.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    These show up on Wish all of the time. I remember the infomercials from the 90s when these were a craze. They disappeared for a while but now they are coming on strong again. I have always heard they do not work.

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    These show up on Wish all of the time. I remember the infomercials from the 90s when these were a craze. They disappeared for a while but now they are coming on strong again. I have always heard they do not work.
    I can weigh in on that with my own observation, and this time not on rats.
    (It does work in rats when you denervevate the muscle, so the principle is in theory sound)

I actually had, or we had, when living with a house with some friends many years ago, an electric ab machine.
    The TV shop kinda thing.

OK, so you could set power and interval and then just fasten the pads (don’t remember if there were different pads to put on top, but we didn’t really use anything but the ones we had on)
    To the abs, or whatever muscle really, as long as you’re able to fit the pads somehow correctly.

First of all the pads losen. So you gotta reset them often and such to the muscle, but it could be managed.
    This i expect would be much better on a machine they use in hospitals for paralyzed patients, but none of us is gonna buy that.

Thing is, you would think that using this sort of machine every day would be an easy task (and with some more discipline maybe it would have, but I didn’t even see the point really),
    but its uncomfortable.
    Much better to just use it during a party to make jokes actually.
    And I was training at the time too,
    but I found that I’d rather just do gym in the gym and not do something uncomfortable when outside the gym.

I did experiment with it a little and did have some idea that it might have helped and felt a bit buzzed by it too, but it wasn’t anything I minded adhere to.
    I think one of my friends said he used it for some weeks quite regularly and maybe noticed some difference, but he stopped using it too.
    We were all young though so sticking with something wasn’t anyone’s speciality then.

Now? I’d try it, and would be interested to see how it would be for tendonitis, but I wouldn’t use it as much else than a tool for when injured I think.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    He drank himself to death.
    We had some great poker games though.
    human capacitors.

a few people in population are indeed gifted like this.

https://youtu.be/BNj5ShEM7U0

https://youtu.be/Q2__ODU_QA0
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DocToxin8 View Post
    Electric stimulation of the muscles work. That’s a fact and very reproducible in animal experiments.
    At my university I’ve seen first hand electric stimulation of the hind muscles in the rat. (And this was after denervation of the muscle)

So yea, it clearly works.

Then the next sound question to ask is;
    To what degree?
    And is it better than regular resistance training?

Well here’s the thing.
    Electric stimulation of the muscle without coupling the muscle to a lever of resistance means that what you are basically doing is just tensing the muscle and letting go.
    But since you do it electrically you don’t need willpower or signals from the brain to do it.

So here’s the cons;

It is probably more painful than resistance excersize if you’re gonna get any effect to speak of.
    Hence, this is a valid method during an injury, but to do it when you can perfectly well do this with your own brain (and with resistance), well there’s not much benefit really.

To couple it with a resistance program might help you a little, you are after all using the muscle, and if you down a bottle of pain killers every time you can stimulate the muscle a great deal and for a long time.

But realistically; I wouldn’t invest much money into this unless you got serious injuries like paralysis, etc.

For sure, get a cheap one and try it out, the theory is sound and it does work, but don’t expect much.

If you had severed your spinal column this would work miracles compared to nothing. But as an add on for a healthy person... it’s gonna be nothing more than what you could do yourself with a few extra sets in the gym.

But if you don’t mind electric stimulation of your abs when in the couch for hours then it might benefit you to a noticeable degree.
    Just don’t throw money away on some fancy shit if you ain’t sick.

You basically just need a battery (check out the power level you can tolerate), two electrodes fastened o the muscles, and two variables;
    Time of stimulation, and interval between stimulation.
    Then after and hour of this you’ll be sick Of it and think sit ups isn’t a big deal after all.
    Good post
    DocToxin8 likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by m.hornbuckle View Post
    human capacitors.

a few people in population are indeed gifted like this.

https://youtu.be/BNj5ShEM7U0

https://youtu.be/Q2__ODU_QA0
    Lol I can see Ron doing that shit. I don't see science explaining it either. 220 will kill pretty much anyone given enough time. To watch someone be unphased by it is just weird as fuck.

Thread Information