3) jump 26 inches
    4) leg press 225% his body weight
    5) swim 700 yards in 12 mins
    6) do 40 pushups
    7) your waist (stomach) is 80% or less the size of your hips/butt
    8) run 300 yards in 1 min
    9) touch his toes
    10) throw (on his knees) a basketball 75 feet

the bench press and pushups are cake. 2, 4, 7, 8, 9 i >think< i can do. the rest are iffy...what about yall?

-- clocky baby

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    i'm not a man, and i'd wonder what the requirements for women would be...but...
    i can do 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 guess that's not too bad if those a requirements for a guy

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I can do all of them except the one with the basketball, never tried it before. It just never ocurred to me that I should get on my knees and see how far I can throw a basketball.

i can do 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 guess that's not too bad if those a requirements for a guy
    You are in phenominal shape if you can do those. #1 is probably pretty tough for most women. I bet you can do #4 and just don't know it.

Feli Fly is offline Junior Member
    I read that a while ago too... "leg press 225%" c'mon now... that's cake... anyone who has trained for 6mo should be able to do that.

If it said squat that.. then we're talking.

I think the 1.5mi run is hardest for most guys.... and 26" is a pretty reasonable vertical.

I can do them all except the bench (damn close) and the pushups. I could do 40 pushups in a min, but not in one set. Swimming I'm not sure about either. I don't swim much anymore, but that was cake when I was on swim team.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feli Fly
    I read that a while ago too... "leg press 225%" c'mon now... that's cake... anyone who has trained for 6mo should be able to do that.

If it said squat that.. then we're talking.

I think the 1.5mi run is hardest for most guys.... and 26" is a pretty reasonable vertical.

I can do them all except the bench (damn close) and the pushups. I could do 40 pushups in a min, but not in one set. Swimming I'm not sure about either. I don't swim much anymore, but that was cake when I was on swim team.
    hehe, i'm the exact opposite. i think the chest stuff is easy, but i'm not too confident in my leg press abilities...=/ my legs blow...=( i'm gunna try 225% my body weight on leg press tomorrow in the gym...

-- cb

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    All the lifting is great for me... I can touch my toes, but not too sure about the running/swimming. Cardio and me don't get along too well...

k_dogg is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=clockworks]according to men's health magazine...a fit man can:
    1) bench press 150% his body weight
    2) run 1.50 miles in 10 mins
    3) jump 26 inches
    6) do 40 pushups
    9) touch his toes

all the cardio ones no worries. and my cardio is crap compared to what it used to be. my best time on the 2.4km/1.5mile is 7min 53sec... but id crack the 10 now i guess. push ups are easy. dont know about my waiste. im bulkign now so i have a bit more body fat. but it would be close. yeah a vital part of my training is with paraplegic basketballers so im always getting around on my knees with a basketball....lol. nah the bench is only about 120% at moment so i faile miserable there

so thats 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 and i dont have a bloody clue about that whole basketball thing. what makes them come up with this stuff? who decides that your not a fit man unless you can get on your knees and hurl a basketball 75feet? someone with too much time. he is probably a paraplegic olympic athlete

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    I disagree with what that chart considers fit.

Body is offline Associate Member
    I don't run, jump, or swim. I darn sure can't, "touch my toes". I'm as un-fit as they come. Good post, but for me it's all about size. If I die tomorrow, my main concern is that the funeral home has to order a custom-made coffin to accomodate my width.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Can it be graded on a curve?............say I can do 65 pushups, does that mean I don't have to throw the basketball but 55 ft.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I think everyone who is concerned about the basketball thing is SERIOUSLY underestimating it's relative ease. This fall, I trained a HS senior (female) who was preparing to take the West Point entrance exam and her MINIMAL requirement, if I'm recalling correctly, was to throw a basketball 45 ft. "Good" for an incoming female was up close near 53 or so. This girl was eventually throwing it 50 and I'd bet just about everything in my bank account that each and every regular contributor to this board could not only hit 75 ft, but very likely come closer to 100 than 75.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I think everyone who is concerned about the basketball thing is SERIOUSLY underestimating it's relative ease. This fall, I trained a HS senior (female) who was preparing to take the West Point entrance exam and her MINIMAL requirement, if I'm recalling correctly, was to throw a basketball 45 ft. "Good" for an incoming female was up close near 53 or so. This girl was eventually throwing it 50 and I'd bet just about everything in my bank account that each and every regular contributor to this board could not only hit 75 ft, but very likely come closer to 100 than 75.
    Interesting BigGreen. I thought it seemed quite doable, but I was hesitant to claim I could do it because I've never tried it with a basketball and it's been many years since I've thrown a soccer ball in such a way.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Still comes down to somebody's opinion on what they think is fit, just like what some people feel is an ideal bodyweight.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    but was she on her knees? the test is the throw the basketball while on your knees.

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    according to men's health magazine...a fit man can:
    1) bench press 150% his body weight
    2) run 1.50 miles in 10 mins
    3) jump 26 inches
    6) do 40 pushups
    9) touch his toes

the bench press and pushups are cake. 2, 4, 7, 8, 9 i >think< i can do. the rest are iffy...what about yall?

-- clocky baby
    1,2,3,4,6,7,9,10 should be no problem. I'd have to try the others

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    I can do everything but 5 (can't swim, im know im slow) and 10 cause i never tried but probobly can do it..

Yay im fit

AndroholiK is offline Junior Member
    I can do it all =]

palme is offline Rosie Member
    75 feet is 21 meters, im sure i can throw a basketball 21m's, thats nothing! Cīmon guy's thats easy! We can all do that.

Im working on my stamina.

decadbal is offline Banned
    they should have a "can a fit man beat up a strong man..." then put up qualifycations that most of us can do with ease. i consider fit workin out 5 times a week and doing an hour and half(2sessions) on the elliptical, and having less that 4%BF, not being 180lbs sorta cut. thats what i call boring.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    but was she on her knees? the test is the throw the basketball while on your knees.
    Yes.

I'd also like to add that, while I don't know which methodology they used to gauge their criteria, I'm guessing it was fairly arbitrary. In actuality, what you should really do, as far as I'm concerned, is test extensively from a random population that mirrors the actual population, each of these events and develop a percentile rank for each event. From there, define "fit" at either the 99th percentile, 98th percentile, or whatever, and simply correlate the criteria with the percentile rank.

I'd be willign to bet that these "cut-offs" were chosen by a few guys in a conference room based largely on whims and maybe some stuff they'd read. For example, while I'm of the opinion that many people could easily hurl the ball (upwards of 10% of the population if i had to guess), I doubt that much more than 2% could actually meet a true vertical leap test of 26"+. This discrepancy, and it may not be true (but I believe it to be) shouldn't be so wide in something that is supposed to determine overall fitness across the board.

IwannaBeBig is offline Junior Member
    i had something close to this a week ago for the police fitness test, the bench and push-ups are nothing, the legs for my weight would be tuff, i'm 210 so thats like what 472 and some change, screw that i like my knees, i did the 300 yard dash in like 50 seconds, i ran the 1.5 mile in 11.40 i think i could of done alittle better then that. my waist is like 33-34 but my ass is thicker right now because of the sust so i can't comment on that, but usually its thin, i can touch my toes, the only thing i never tried was timed swimming and throwing a b-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by IwannaBeBig
    i had something close to this a week ago for the police fitness test, the bench and push-ups are nothing, the legs for my weight would be tuff, i'm 210 so thats like what 472 and some change, screw that i like my knees, i did the 300 yard dash in like 50 seconds, i ran the 1.5 mile in 11.40 i think i could of done alittle better then that. my waist is like 33-34 but my ass is thicker right now because of the sust so i can't comment on that, but usually its thin, i can touch my toes, the only thing i never tried was timed swimming and throwing a b-ball.
    Uh-oh...is Red aware that you've put his monkey to work as your avatar?

wannagrow is offline New Member
    c'mon guys, the leg press thing is easy.

My legs are completely appalling and i can press 2.97 times my bodyweight 12 times. that only about 550 lb's. Now bench is another story. i can't do flat bb press. What do you guys think would be an equivalent for incline.

Now the 26 inch jump thing, i'm pretty close. about 21 inch, but i know alot of people who i'd consider much fitter than me who can't even get close to that.

Thread Information