Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do you help others in the gym?

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member

Do you help others in the gym?

I see a lot of guys at gym lifting weights with atrocious form. When you see this do you ever intervene and give tips or advice? What about if the guy hasn't asked for it? I like helping people, but those who think they know what they're doing may not be receptive.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Better off not giving unsolicited advice, most people won't appreciate it. The trainers that work at the gym should be doing it if they're actually endangering themselves.

At my gym the owner/coach (not really a coach but gives powerlifting advice to everyone who is in 'the team' basically) just lets everyone deadlift like absolute dogshit, rounded backs, excessive lumbar flexion, telling people to tighten their belts way to much and egging people on to get 'one more rep' even if their form is nowhere near acceptable. It frustrates me but he's the owner and people look up to him a lot more than they do me, so i can't exactly go against him while he's there but when he's not i'll work in a tip or two to try and stop them from becoming wheelchair bound for life.
    DCI likes this.

Blog Entries
    Most people that are committed to going to the gym will figure it out for themselves eventually. The ones with terrible form to the point where they can hurt themselves usually don't last long enough anyway to do themselves any longterm damage... That's just my opinion anyway.. And when i get in the gym i'm focused on my workouts and not anybody else but sometimes i do notice some ridiculous form/workouts

bignath4607 is offline Associate Member
    I do like to help people out as i wish someone had put me on the right track but then i think will they even listen ? Probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I never give unsolicited advice. Most will view your attempt to help them as criticism. You're better off to help only if asked.
    NACH3 and Marc114 like this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think like everything in life, some guys want to know while others are just going to do it "there" way. My gym is pretty unique in that "most" of the guys try to help each other out so the group is pretty friendly. The other corporate gym I go to in a pinch I could care less who is doing what mostly due to the arrogance level (not sure why that vibe exist ......insecure maybe).
    NACH3 likes this.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I try and read the person, if I find they will be receptive, I will give advice, if not, I just shake my head and try to ignore them.
    Kramer33 and bartman314 like this.

uhit is offline Member
    In the rare case someone asks me or if I see a blatant fault then sure.

But mostly I keep to myself

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I usually ask people with terrible form, on deadlift specifically, if they would like me to film them so they can use it for their FaceBook page to show people how much they lift. I get a yes 99% of the time and when they see it they, without fail, say that they need to work on their form.

I always find it better to ask in a roundabout way instead of pointing it out directly as they then think it is their own revelation.
    Duo, KBall32 and bulldoghorn like this.

bulldoghorn is offline Junior Member
    I have often wanted to give unsolicited advice, but remind myself that they will figure it out if they continue lifting. I see a lot of new guys in the gym working out with what appear to be friends with experience, but they are trying to lift what the friends are lifting. It is still hard to focus on form over lbs even after 2 years of solid gym work, but to each his/her own.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    People who really want to learn to do things properly will seek out how to do it. With google, you tube, forums etc its not like it was back when I started lifting (hate to say that makes me sound like a grandpa) But I actually had to find people and ask and read books and magazines. The info is so easy to find its just a matter of not being lazy
    RigPig likes this.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    I never give unsolicited advice. Most will view your attempt to help them as criticism. You're better off to help only if asked.
    Agreed

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i do what zempey does.

i generally like it when someone tries to help me out as well. there's one russian trainer at my gym who is all over me, and although a bit tiresome, i have learned some things (and appreciate the effort on his part).

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If I "were" doing something wrong or with bad form I would love for someone to help me.

But I would say 90% of people would take it the wrong way or not appreciate it at all.

tectime is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    Right on ! Plus I'm in focus with my workout and unless their female I probly won't even notice ! Hahaha !
    Gambit11 likes this.

Boozer35 is offline Banned
    I have intervened only a few times when I was sure the form used would cause significant and immediate injury. Other than that I keep my mouth shut as most people are ungrateful. I wait till they come to me and then I offer suggestions.

Last weekend I was at a powerlifting meet to help support a friend of mine. Several of is showed up actually. One of the guys is known at the meets of this particular fed bc he's always helping others: wrapping knees, chalking backs, handing off benches, etc. Well last weekend my friend was wrapping someone's knee since the guy had nobody. All nice and polite to his face then I overhear the guy in the locker room after the meet talking shit to someone else about how he got a horrible wrap job. I was beyond pissed since my friend offered to help for the sake of helping and the guy was saying yea it feels great. Anyway I told him you were praising him on the floor bc you couldn't wrap yourself and had no one to help you and you couldn't say it to his face, you had to talk shit in the locker room. After that I just walked out in disgust.

Moral of the story: some people are ungrateful assholes.

RigPig is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had one of the wife's friends ask me for advice, I gave her advice...she cried. The end. Some people cant handle it even if they ask for it.
    DCI and zempey like this.

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    never offer advice if theyre not asking for it, even to noobs. But if they ask for my opinion, I gladly give it.

solesrch is offline Junior Member
    Same as above. I usually don't offer advice to people unless they ask. Unless they are about to do something dangerous. On the other hand, if someone needs a spot or something similar I will offer.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Best case scenario: they listen to you and begin following you around like a puppy, seeking your input and approval.
    Worst case: they dismiss your unsolicited advice rudely.

It's a lose-lose.
    jstone, hellomycognomen and NACH3 like this.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    I have gave good solid advice a couple times without being asked in the gym and It was not appreciated at all, so I just save my breath

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I will do it with older people in the gym that look like they are going to hurt themselves. I will start off saying that I see them there all the time and I hope to have that dedication when I'm older. Or, I will compliment them for moving so much weight but then ask if I can make a recommendation to make the exercise more beneficial. They have always been receptive and thankful. These younger kids though with terrible form and thinking they are badasses curling 40lbs. with terrible form I won't go near. The younger generation thinks they know everything.

LEO78 is offline Associate Member
    Yes, only if they ask for help or do smth dangerous. Trying not to interfere.

I gave some advice today to a guy that trains at the same time as me every day. He had a little bounce at the bottom of his standing calf raise, I mentioned it to him and he was receptive. I am very careful who I give advice to, but I know he was ok with it.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Only if asked, no one appreciates being told they are doing something wrong, no matter how you go about it.
    OdinsOtherSon likes this.

If I have a flaw in my technique I would surely want someone to point it out, unless they are some kinda bird who doesn't know shit.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I truly like to help but only if asked... Like Bona said they'll start to follow you around etc...

However I've asked people(BBers at my gym) for advice on my form of it feels off, but only if they're not busy or in down time and are right across from me... Last thing I want is to bother someone else or be the one w/bad form - knowing that some exercises just don't feel right on my shoulder(so I may ask them if they're not doing anything at the moment!
    Last edited by NACH3; 05-16-2015 at 07:53 PM.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    Only if asked, no one appreciates being told they are doing something wrong, no matter how you go about it.
    ^^^ I completely agree. When you educate someone against their will you come across as arrogant.
    Last edited by numbere; 05-16-2015 at 04:15 PM.

I've never given advice first of all because I'm not in a position to yet but some kid today was doing seated calve raises on leg press with 8 plates on each side with two 25's and one 5lb plate. He was using almost all quad no calves. It was very funny yet hard to watch. I really wanted to say something but kept it shut.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny
    OMG. Where have you been????

bignath4607 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat
    Can you help me out here i seen two gitls doing horrendous squat tekkers on the smith machine so i asked them if they wanted any help and they got really defensive/aggresive to the point i had to explain im a married man and they dint float my boat is there a right way to going about helping especially when it comes to the fairer sex ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Yo GGR! just been lurking lol.

Trying to get my trt sorted then going to come back, maybe start a new log and try get more involved again!

Hope you are keeping well?
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    I used to give advice in the gym, what ive found is most of it is unwanted. In the last 5 years ive given unsolicited advice twice. Once was to a guy who was about to kill his girlfriend doing the most atrocious form deadlifts ive ever seen with weight that is entirely too heavy and the second was the same situation but for squats. The guys looked pissed and embarrassed but the girls where thankful

Mr.Anderson is offline Associate Member
    Only if a person seeks for help or advise. otherwise i prefer not to interfere and stay away.

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Same as most people here, I only do it in the most extreme circumstances or if someone asks for it.

Last time I did, guy was loading up deadlifts at a commercial gym I went to at the time. Started 1 plate, went to 2, then 3 etc. The whole time I was watching his form was terrible but he was strong enough to rip it off the ground. He barely pulled 405 with abysmal form and couldn't lock it out. Then he did another plate jump to 5 plates and I felt like it was my civic duty to say something before this guy became the Captain of the USS Snap-at-Sea. He took it poorly and did a partial fully back rounded dead "pull" and then quit.

So moral of the story is, some people don't care or have ego's too big to change. Especially at the gym you get a lot of people who are there for their own image.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
    This, Spot on for me and honestly I dont get asked often. I have the headphones on and am very much into what I am doing. People see that and tend to stay away I think. Thats ok with me. I have had people ask me things in the locker room or walking out and I am totally ok with talking to them then.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    I see a lot of guys at gym lifting weights with atrocious form. When you see this do you ever intervene and give tips or advice? What about if the guy hasn't asked for it? I like helping people, but those who think they know what they're doing may not be receptive.
    I don't intervene unless I'm asked or put in a situation where my opinion is a must.

Buff99 is offline Junior Member
    I never intervene unless asked or they are putting themselves in risk of death lol. They will figure it out and some people may take it negatively if you try to help without them asking

Kramer33 is offline Junior Member
    I try to lead by example. If I see someone doing dumbbell "speed curls", thinking it will work their biceps, I try to stand in their eyeline and do a set of curls with strict perfect form. Usually they get the message.

If I am at all acquainted with the person who needs advice, I'll say hi and engage in a few seconds of small talk before offering a quick "tip"

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    just the other day a kid was in there with his mom and it was obvious it was his first time in the gym because he was using the ab twist machine all wrong I stepped in a said hey man you should set the machine like this and he looked at me like a smart ass and said yea I know hahahaha just goes to show even kids don't take advise Iv always said I wont say something but im for real now fvkem ill just keep to my self and let people hurt themselves and learn the hard way like I have a few time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information