• 1 Post By JuliusPleaser
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By JuliusPleaser
  • 1 Post By MACKATTACK
  • 2 Post By marcus300

Thread: Arms 3x a week for growth

JuliusPleaser is offline Senior Member

Arms 3x a week for growth

Below is an article by Dr. Jim Stoppani which gained my interest because my arms are "eh", the most I ever got them was 17.5 (left arm) and they should be bigger compared to the rest of my body which is quite developed.

The article basically states that start once a week; then going twice a week; then 3 x a week until you begin to 'overreach' then go back to once a week, will force them to grow; especially when you take the break after all that frequency.

In other words, its almost like purposely overtraining but to the point its not at that point yet.

Has anyone tried something like this before with any success. THe most I have ever done was all body parts twice a week, but I do want my arms to grow more.
    Last edited by almostgone; 05-03-2018 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
    rahulps108 likes this.

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    I just started about 3 months ago an arm regiment to grow. I do two different days of large volume on either the tricep and bicep. Then I will add in a few tricep or bicep exercises to a lesser degree on two other days. I have never seen my arms this big.......

Dave palumbo is an advocate for this too.

Can you clarify what you mean? You do two volume days, and two 'light' days?

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusPleaser View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean? You do two volume days, and two 'light' days?
    I’ll do a full routine of: “Back and Biceps” and “Delts, traps and triceps”

On the low volume days let’s say with legs I will hit two exercises on the biceps to get a good pump and hypertrophy, on my chest and calves day I will hit a couple exercises on my tris to once again get a good pump and some hypertrophy.

I am not doing a full routine on my low days per say. You may have to alter your routine to make this work.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    start every workout with alternating DB curls and over head triceps extensions

left arm 10 reps, right arm 10 reps, left arm over head 10 reps, right arm over head 10 reps.

repeat till 50 reps each. then start your regular workout.

end workout with 2-3 sets of strict "21's".

arms are soo dense and used so much, I feel they need hit daily

Interesting guys,

thing is, arms are needed for other parts as well, so don't want them too destroyed but I guess a temporary program to boost their size. I will implement something similar to what you two have been saying.

Just found this too

So essentially, if I'm gonna hit Arms 3x, I have to pull volume from other stronger body parts, like my chest, back, and legs; add those sets to arms so I can still recover in the week.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    So essentially, if I'm gonna hit Arms 3x, I have to pull volume from other stronger body parts, like my chest, back, and legs; add those sets to arms so I can still recover in the week.
    over thinking it.

hit them,till,they hurt.

don't short change other movements or exercises volume at the same of arms

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I noticed nice growth when I stopped destroying my arms once or twice a week, but instead hitting them 2-3 times a week but much less volume. I hit arms every time I workout but only a few sets. I noticed much better gains doing this rather than focusing a whole day on arms.

"Stimulate don't annihilate"

I love that quote cause it really summarizes it all.

wellshii is offline Member
    What Alpha said. I used to over volume train. Might work if your not a natty,but for me didn't do anything.An example is doing not only too much isolated movements(side laterals,then front raises then presses,then shrugs) Same with training to failure.
    Was just over training. Currently I am doing the generalized volume and frequency.
    Twice a week
    Small groups 30-60 reps
    about 68 percent of max with sets consisting of 3 reps.
    Last set to failure.
    I also avoid isolated exercises which for me didn't do much and just added too much training.
    Actually similar to the HST program,which I did and honestly that worked too. Just a Pain in The A** to do three times a week.

I've been on and off the Iron,but so far within gaps,I have been using this method. And the size and strength come at a faster than pace than over training(over volume) or once a week 5 sets of 12 type.
    But do keep in mind you still have to push your body when doing these workouts even though your only doing a set or two.

The way I look at it, building muscles is like life.
    A little investment at a time so you the progress is steady. If you over do it on one setting,it'll take too long to recover.
    There are actually scientific articles demonstrating all this.
    Last edited by wellshii; 05-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Took a measurement of my arms today at 6’4 215 and the arms were 17 inches which I’m pretty excited about, put in about 6 months into this program targeting my arms more, its working!!! I always had smaller arms, thy are growwwwiinngggg lol

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Below is an article by Dr. Jim Stoppani which gained my interest because my arms are "eh", the most I ever got them was 17.5 (left arm) and they should be bigger compared to the rest of my body which is quite developed.

The article basically states that start once a week; then going twice a week; then 3 x a week until you begin to 'overreach' then go back to once a week, will force them to grow; especially when you take the break after all that frequency.

In other words, its almost like purposely overtraining but to the point its not at that point yet.

Has anyone tried something like this before with any success. THe most I have ever done was all body parts twice a week, but I do want my arms to grow more.
    I train my arms once per week at the most. Sometimes every 8 to 10 days
    I would never grow training them 3 times a wk and wouldn't recommend it.
    Mr.BB likes this.

I was doing the same, but this is only temporary to stimulate growth which I feel is already doing something. I'm not following this exact protocol and I am starting with Mon Arms Heavy, weds, light, and Friday even lighter... Other body parts heavy and low reps. I feel fine and some how getting stronger lol
    marcus300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    I train my arms once per week at the most. Sometimes every 8 to 10 days
    I would never grow training them 3 times a wk and wouldn't recommend it.

Things work differently for everyone. I know a guy who grows only working out 3 days a week. Ive given it a try NEVER worked
    marcus300 likes this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by MACKATTACK1 View Post
    Things work differently for everyone. I know a guy who grows only working out 3 days a week. Ive given it a try NEVER worked
    That's correct, find what works and keep on adapting it. Any type of volume wouldn't really work for my goals. Less is more for me and its what i actually do when I'm in what counts but everyone as different goals and responds differently.

I probably at my best I train my whole body once every 7 to 10 days but its intense workouts and rest is extremely important to the growth i want.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    That's correct, find what works and keep on adapting it. Any type of volume wouldn't really work for my goals. Less is more for me and its what i actually do when I'm in what counts but everyone as different goals and responds differently.

I probably at my best I train my whole body once every 7 to 10 days but its intense workouts and rest is extremely important to the growth i want.

Its crazy how the human body works. About over a month ago I reduced my cardio by 80pct and to twice a week (with HIIT and incline walk only) and upped my calories and I have never looked so good and lean before........the fat loss has been amazing.....

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've gotten great results by hitting muscle groups with less volume and more frequency.

It is absolutely true that everyone is different and different people react differently to various training styles, diets, and compounds, so once you find what works best for you you've unlocked your door to success.

That is actually the hardest part that not enough people talk about, the fact that what works best for you is typically an arduous process that can take years of trial and error before things "click" and we figure out our own personal formula for making optimal gains.

For me personally, using more volume less frequency for large muscle groups and vice versa for small muscle groups has been working great to break through new PR's.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I think initially hitting them hard 3 x per week could work but over time you will surely over train eventually, possible leading to an injury.
    Try it for 4-6 weeks and see what it does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post
    I think initially hitting them hard 3 x per week could work but over time you will surely over train eventually, possible leading to an injury.
    Try it for 4-6 weeks and see what it does for you.
    X2 Alin. I would say as a temporary approach, along the lines of what julius said, it may work for some. But i wouldnt think as a normal protocol you could avoid overtraining. Bi's can handle alot but are also small muscles. Theres only so much you can do to them in any given time period. And to hit them hard 3x per wk consistently is eating up alot of recovery time. I would have to guess thatbover the lomg haul, you would stagnate quicker and probably start to lose size after an extended period.

I alternate 1x per wk for about a month and 2x per wk for about a month. Been seeing better results than i was. But again,alot is person specific, and as with any workout, exoeriment and find what works for your body and go at it

Thread Information