Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Charlie67
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB
  • 1 Post By ScotchGuard02

Thread: Drop set.

usernamewastaken is offline Associate Member

Drop set.

I recently discovered drop sets and i freaking love them and do them on every exercise.My question is it bad if i do them on every exercise?

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Go for it!

try double or triple drop sets.. ah

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No. IMHO, when it comes to lifting weights, no training ideas are 'bad' if they work. You can argue about "optimal" if you wish, but one or two percent difference in philosophy wont matter to the vast majority of us. Don't overthink things, you can drop set everything if you feel good enough to train the next time. I don't subscribe to most minimalist training talk, but what I do believe in is being able to train at 100%, if possible, the next time. If doing too many drop sets, or too much volume, or too many forced reps messes up your next training day, then back off a bit. If you're not progressing towards your goals, then change things a bit.

Probably we could all do with less thinking in the gym, and more lifting.

Best of luck my friend,
    C-
    PeanutbutterDC and Obs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    Go for it!

try double or triple drop sets.. ah
    What do you mean by double or triple dropsets?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    No. IMHO, when it comes to lifting weights, no training ideas are 'bad' if they work. You can argue about "optimal" if you wish, but one or two percent difference in philosophy wont matter to the vast majority of us. Don't overthink things, you can drop set everything if you feel good enough to train the next time. I don't subscribe to most minimalist training talk, but what I do believe in is being able to train at 100%, if possible, the next time. If doing too many drop sets, or too much volume, or too many forced reps messes up your next training day, then back off a bit. If you're not progressing towards your goals, then change things a bit.

Probably we could all do with less thinking in the gym, and more lifting.

Best of luck my friend,
    C-
    Ty man it doesn't affect my next days(especially now on cycle) but it does affect the amount of weight/reps i can do for the next exercises in the same day so maybe i should do the most 'important' exercises first .

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Doing these right now and love them too! Currently working up to 3x6 (85%) then dropping down to 3x6 (70%) for the major lifts, squats, bench, dead, OHP. Allows you to get the heavy intensity and also the volume in.

If it works keep doing it!

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usernamewastaken View Post
    I recently discovered drop sets and i freaking love them and do them on every exercise.My question is it bad if i do them on every exercise?
    Yes, if you are able to do them in every exercise it means you are not training with enough intensity. A proper working set with dropset will bring muscle to failure.

Muscles grow in response to new intensity, if you are any new to training any new intensity can promote a response, if you are advanced the muscle is already prepared and you need to bring the intensity to new levels.

Dont confuse intensity with endurance. Endurance doesnt make big muscles, look at marathon runners.
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

Kinglondon is offline Junior Member
    Drop sets are great. I sometimes use them on bigger compound moves such as deads, bench etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Yes, if you are able to do them in every exercise it means you are not training with enough intensity. A proper working set with dropset will bring muscle to failure.

Muscles grow in response to new intensity, if you are any new to training any new intensity can promote a response, if you are advanced the muscle is already prepared and you need to bring the intensity to new levels.

Dont confuse intensity with endurance. Endurance doesnt make big muscles, look at marathon runners.
    It's not really like i can use them in every exercise it's more like i use lighter weight after,so maybe i should do the main exercises with drop sets and that's all.

It's not really like i can use them in every exercise it's more like i use lighter weight after,so maybe i should do the main exercises with drop sets and that's all.
    Lighter weight = lower intensity = endurance training

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Lighter weight = lower intensity = endurance training
    so what should i do in your opinion?

so what should i do in your opinion?
    Its really hard to give training advice without being with you in the gym, the best advice I can give is to follow HIT (High Intensity Training) training principles, there is a vast amount of knowledge about it in Marcus thread here: **Marcus's HIT Dungeon** ...

Thanks...uh 1400 pages.. gonna take me a while.But i guess i ahve time untill i die of a heart attack at 50 bcz of roids hahaha

I do them all the time. Example of a wide grip pull down exercise. No rest between sets.

150lbs x 10 reps
    140lbs x 10 reps
    130lbs x 10 reps
    120lbs x 10 reps
    110lbs x 10 reps
    100lbs x 10 reps
    Done with pull downs
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    What do you mean by double or triple dropsets?
    Dropset to a lower weight, then do it again, and again..

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    I do them all the time. Example of a wide grip pull down exercise. No rest between sets.

150lbs x 10 reps
    140lbs x 10 reps
    130lbs x 10 reps
    120lbs x 10 reps
    110lbs x 10 reps
    100lbs x 10 reps
    Done with pull downs
    I usually do my 6 rep max and then drop and try to do 6-10 reps.Is it just prefference or is it better to do it like you?

I usually do my 6 rep max and then drop and try to do 6-10 reps.Is it just prefference or is it better to do it like you?
    My goal is hypertrophy and muscle shaping so I use moderate weights and more reps. For legs, I do a combination of both. My leg press complex example (leg press is 1 of 4 exercises complex(s) I use on my legs)

Leg Press Complex
    Set 1: 2x2 (2 plates on each side) 20 reps each leg (sets 1-6 are single leg presses)
    Set 2: 2x3 18 reps each leg (only rest is to change the weights and wrap the knees)
    Set 3: 3x3 16 reps each leg
    Set 4: 4x3 14 reps each leg
    Set 5: 4x4 12 reps each leg (It gets hard about here)
    Set 6: 5x4 10 reps each leg (only rest is to change the weights and wrap the knees)
    Set 7: 5x5 20 reps with both legs (no rest except to change weights but take a break if you're reaching failure)
    Set 8: 6x6 18 reps with both legs
    Set 9: 7x7 16 reps with both legs
    Set 10: 8x8 14 reps with both legs (It gets hard about here)
    Set 11: 9x9 12 reps with both legs
    Set 12: 10x10 10 reps with both legs - DONE with leg presses and on to hack squats

Thread Information