• 1 Post By MACKATTACK
  • 1 Post By usernamewastaken
  • 5 Post By ScotchGuard02
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz

Thread: Bicep curls.

usernamewastaken is offline Associate Member

Bicep curls.

Ok so i don't feel like bicep curls work for me.I feel like i'm mostly working my forearm when doing them.The way i do them is 24 sets 12 each arm(at the same.time) and 4-5 reps.Only way i feel my biceps when doing this is if i use higher weight but can only rep max 5 depending on weight(so i'm training for strenght this way but don't want to?).What should i do?Change exercise and if so what other exercise should i try?

I meant 24 reps 4-5 sets.

Do you curl your wrists when u do them?

Yes i hold them before doing the movement with the circle in front not on the sides.

PeanutbutterDC is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usernamewastaken View Post
    Yes i hold them before doing the movement with the circle in front not on the sides.
    Try curling from different angles using cables, an incline bench, preacher curl stand, etc. Mix up grip as well. Focus on contracting your biceps and resist over-involvement of other muscles.
    The key to hypertrophy is time he target muscle is under tension (tut). Shoot for 45-75 seconds on days when your focus is hypertrophy training. The key to gains over time is mixing things up: tempo, reps, tut, weight, sets, and type of curls.
    Obs likes this.

Kinglondon is offline Junior Member
    Try preacher curls at 7 sets at 10-12 reps with 30 second rests in between sets and use dumbells not an ez curl bar.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Wide grip (wider than shoulder width) straight bar curls feel like they do the most breakdown of the muscle for me

Will try using a cable (saw some1 use it for biceps and might work for me),preacher curls with dumbells like kinglondon said and will post again after arm day to update if it works for me or not.Thanks guys!

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    I get way more out of alternating dumbbell curls that I ever did with a barbell

wellshii is offline Member
    You use an ez bar?
    Try an arm blaster or seated bench curls.
    Weight is gonna drop with those big time.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You might considering buying some Fat Gripz (or a cheaper knock off). For me, they take my forearms out of the equation. I really like them, but your milage may very.

Best of luck,
    C-

Stop over-thinking, simplicity facilitate many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    You might considering buying some Fat Gripz (or a cheaper knock off). For me, they take my forearms out of the equation. I really like them, but your milage may very.

Best of luck,
    C-

That's interesting. They have the opposite effect for me. So. Much. Forearm! Maybe it's bc I'm a fairly small woman and a regular bar is essentially a thick bar for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutbutterDC View Post
    That's interesting. They have the opposite effect for me. So. Much. Forearm! Maybe it's bc I'm a fairly small woman and a regular bar is essentially a thick bar for me.
    regular woman...has bigger everything then me hahahah rip

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That's the thing about advice isn't it? We're all so different. Maybe the difference lies less in your grip, and more in my lack of forearm strength . I find it easier to relax my grip with the fatties and pull with my biceps. Of course, my elbows are shot, so i do a limited amount of direct bicep work anyway. Now, if we are talking reverse grip bicep curls, then I am in total agreement... All forearm.

Best,
    C-

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Try curling from different angles using cables, an incline bench, preacher curl stand, etc. Mix up grip as well. Focus on contracting your biceps and resist over-involvement of other muscles.
    The key to hypertrophy is time he target muscle is under tension (tut). Shoot for 45-75 seconds on days when your focus is hypertrophy training. The key to gains over time is mixing things up: tempo, reps, tut, weight, sets, and type of curls.
    Yup.
    My arms stick out so I always finish with low pulley crossover cable curls. This way my arms are more in their natural position and I cannot cheat. The only way those plates are moving up is if my biceps contract. Hammer curls and regular curls tend to light my front delts up too much.

Ez bar preacher curls are another great isolation.
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    Close grip Ez Curl Bar........u will see the pump in the second curl lol

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Many good suggestions here. One of my favs is cable curls using the rope. It's effective because you can change your grip and twist the rope at any point to tweek the angle you hit muscle from.

Another great bicep exercise is good ol' fashion dumbell curls..However, you're gonna want to use a relatively heavy weight that you can only do about 5-7 times, and at the top of the movement turn your palms facing up and out and really squeeze the muscle at the top.

I can do only 4 intense sets of this exercise and actually get sore from it the next day! I can do ~20 sets of other bicep exercises and not get sore at all so it hits them in a way, for me anyway, that truly isolates the muscle for optimal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Many good suggestions here. One of my favs is cable curls using the rope. It's effective because you can change your grip and twist the rope at any point to tweek the angle you hit muscle from.

Another great bicep exercise is good ol' fashion dumbell curls..However, you're gonna want to use a relatively heavy weight that you can only do about 5-7 times, and at the top of the movement turn your palms facing up and out and really squeeze the muscle at the top.

I can do only 4 intense sets of this exercise and actually get sore from it the next day! I can do ~20 sets of other bicep exercises and not get sore at all so it hits them in a way, for me anyway, that truly isolates the muscle for optimal growth.
    Yea i just did biceps today,seems if i do dumbell curls(not the way i was doing them untill now) it actually works my bicep really well(better then the other exercises) so definitely gonna keep this in my program.Ty all for the suggestions,really appreciate the support.
    AlphaMindz likes this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Bicep isolator brace works wonders

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    i like doing ez curl bar curls better then standing machine.I feel like i'm ddoing more to my bicep,maybe because i can't seem to adjust the height right on the machine XD.

I've reduced every exercise down to 3 variables. Duration, intensity, and specificity. Duration - the the length of time the muscle is under contracting load, either eccentric or concentric. This variable also takes into account the length of time spent working the specific muscle. Intensity - the load under which muscle is trained. This is mainly the load (weight) placed on the muscle. Finally, specificity - the motion which the muscle traverses throughout its working cycle.

If you change any one of those variables, you have a new training routing. You can get past plateaus by making combinations of the three variables to jump start the muscle. Some concentrate on the weight being moved. "Build muscle, lift heavy weight" and their form goes to pots. In BB'ing, form builds muscles and weight only provide resistance to the movement.
    RoxRunner, Obs, wellshii and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    I've reduced every exercise down to 3 variables. Duration, intensity, and specificity. Duration - the the length of time the muscle is under contracting load, either eccentric or concentric. This variable also takes into account the length of time spent working the specific muscle. Intensity - the load under which muscle is trained. This is mainly the load (weight) placed on the muscle. Finally, specificity - the motion which the muscle traverses throughout its working cycle.

If you change any one of those variables, you have a new training routing. You can get past plateaus by making combinations of the three variables to jump start the muscle. Some concentrate on the weight being moved. "Build muscle, lift heavy weight" and their form goes to pots. In BB'ing, form builds muscles and weight only provide resistance to the movement.
    Elegantly said

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post

I did something,changed the "specificity" ,was doing dumbell curls but rotating my forearm and pretty much just hitting my forearm,so i changed to just the normal way up and down no rotation and it sure feels good(the bicep XD).

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Attachment 173262

Arm blaster
    Obs likes this.

Yea i just did biceps today,seems if i do dumbell curls(not the way i was doing them untill now) it actually works my bicep really well(better then the other exercises) so definitely gonna keep this in my program.Ty all for the suggestions,really appreciate the support.
    That's what's up man glad you tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by m.hornbuckle View Post
    Attachment 173262

Arm blaster
    The fuck's that lol

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Never seen an arm blaster?

Bicep curls.-9183245d-e7c2-4c25-a7d2-5398c4d2856f.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Never seen an arm blaster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9183245D-E7C2-4C25-A7D2-5398C4D2856F.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	173274
    Notice the weight Arnold is using... Light weight! He's purely hitting his bi's here, no front delt involvement and no momentum to assist with the last few reps.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Notice the weight Arnold is using... Light weight! He's purely hitting his bi's here, no front delt involvement and no momentum to assist with the last few reps.
    light weight for him not me

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    75% of your arm size comes from compound movements. Last 25% comes from isolation exercises..

I did something,changed the "specificity" ,was doing dumbell curls but rotating my forearm and pretty much just hitting my forearm,so i changed to just the normal way up and down no rotation and it sure feels good(the bicep XD).
    That's perfect. Find the motion that isolates the bicep. Then simply repeat that motion and only that motion until the bicep is exhausted. Each apparatus has a specific motion which isolates the muscle. Experiment, find that perfect line and when found, just repeat that specific motion.

Thread Information