Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HoldMyBeer
  • 1 Post By PeanutbutterDC

Thread: Help with addiction

kbunyan is offline Associate Member

Help with addiction

Sooooo I used to lift 6 days a week and didn't see much progress. But now I life 3 days and do cardio/HIIT 3 days alternatively (which works perfectly for Hypertrophy). Problem is I can't keep away from weights area, stupid brain finds any reason to pick up weights

PeanutbutterDC is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbunyan View Post
    Sooooo I used to lift 6 days a week and didn't see much progress. But now I life 3 days and do cardio/HIIT 3 days alternatively (which works perfectly for Hypertrophy). Problem is I can't keep away from weights area, stupid brain finds any reason to pick up weights

Not sure lifting 6 dsys/week is a problem. Depends on the specifics of your program and goal, which I understand is hypertrophy. Also not sure 3 and 3 is ideal for hypertrophy. You might want to make your addiction to lifting work for you and your goals by exploring a split and program of lifting 5 or 6 days/week for hypertrophy

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutbutterDC View Post
    Not sure lifting 6 dsys/week is a problem. Depends on the specifics of your program and goal, which I understand is hypertrophy. Also not sure 3 and 3 is ideal for hypertrophy. You might want to make your addiction to lifting work for you and your goals by exploring a split and program of lifting 5 or 6 days/week for hypertrophy
    Muscle recovery and hypertrophy was slow to none when i lifted 6 days.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Keep in mind that even when we're on the sauce and our muscles are recovering at an increased rate, our CNS still needs to recover as well. I have seen many examples of guys fairly new to lifting that go all out, balls to the wall 5-6 days a week in the gym bangin out weights with true dedication and nothing changes....They get a bit stronger but their bodyies don't change much and the reason is they're over training.

It's weird how it works, too, cause the way our bodies respond changes over time. For me, personally, when I was still pretty new to lifting I saw the most hypertrophy with one day on one day off. I suspect the same would work for you, especially if you're natty.

After every intense training session your testosterone levels drop drastically for approx 24 hours before they recover. So for natty lifters, time off is even more important. But even guys on gear can over train cause they're not letting their CNS recover.

Try resting a full day after every workout for one month and see what happens......

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Keep in mind that even when we're on the sauce and our muscles are recovering at an increased rate, our CNS still needs to recover as well. I have seen many examples of guys fairly new to lifting that go all out, balls to the wall 5-6 days a week in the gym bangin out weights with true dedication and nothing changes....They get a bit stronger but their bodyies don't change much and the reason is they're over training.

It's weird how it works, too, cause the way our bodies respond changes over time. For me, personally, when I was still pretty new to lifting I saw the most hypertrophy with one day on one day off. I suspect the same would work for you, especially if you're natty.

After every intense training session your testosterone levels drop drastically for approx 24 hours before they recover. So for natty lifters, time off is even more important. But even guys on gear can over train cause they're not letting their CNS recover.

Try resting a full day after every workout for one month and see what happens......
    Nope not gonna waste my first cycle. And yes i read a few articles which mentioned recuperation tine between 48 and 72 hours for muscles.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    From my experience, too high of volume per week will impede progress. The amount of volume will depend on your fitness level, and how many days per week depends on your routine.
    However, if you are doing hiit 3/w and lifting 3/w I have a hard time believing you are allowing adequate recovery time for your legs.
    I am the same way, rest days suck, but you have to remind yourself muscles do not grow in the gym
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Muscle recovery and hypertrophy was slow to none when i lifted 6 days.
    It's not like there's only one way to lift 6 days a week. If you had no gains obviously you need to change things up, but not necessarily the 6 days part. Change your split, volume, intensity, choice of exercises, rest, diet and so on.
    Unless you just want someone to tell you, " yeah, bro, you're doing everything right by cutting back. You're so awesome you're addicted to WORKING OUT TOO MUCH! You have such discipline!" Or do you want sincere advice?
    cousinmuscles likes this.

It's not like there's only one way to lift 6 days a week. If you had no gains obviously you need to change things up, but not necessarily the 6 days part. Change your split, volume, intensity, choice of exercises, rest, diet and so on.
    Unless you just want someone to tell you, " yeah, bro, you're doing everything right by cutting back. You're so awesome you're addicted to WORKING OUT TOO MUCH! You have such discipline!" Or do you want sincere advice?
    Always appreciate your advice @pbdc

...i read a few articles which mentioned recuperation tine between 48 and 72 hours for muscles.
    Which is why you dont work the same muscle group every day. What's your split?

Always appreciate your advice @pbdc
    Thanks. Sorry for coming off gruff. Life stress gots me in a bad mood

Which is why you dont work the same muscle group every day. What's your split?
    Mon: chest/tricep

Wed: back/bicep

Fri: legs/shoulders/abs

Tue/Thursday/Sat: light cardio or HIIT (20 mins)

Any suggestions for hypertrophy routine?

Mon: chest/tricep

Wed: back/bicep

Fri: legs/shoulders/abs

Tue/Thursday/Sat: light cardio or HIIT (20 mins)

Any suggestions for hypertrophy routine?
    M ch, T b, W sh, Th quads, F arms, S hamstrings. calves, abs mixed in there. Traps on shoulders day

Kay kay is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Lower the amount of volume used on each of the six days and you’ll do great.

Thread Information