Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By AlphaMindz

Thread: Weak-spot Critique Help

IronClydes is offline Senior Member

Weak-spot Critique Help

Starting a fresh hypertrophy program after about 4 months of power-bodybuilding training.

In order to properly to build a program with the proper attention to weak-spots, I’m looking for honest critique regarding my weaknesses. I’m not competing; I’m targeting a Classical Physique, not the new-age big everywhere physique. Tapered, and classic.

Please provide your feedback on perceived weak-spots to work on.

For background, my plan is to start Marcus’s HIT Training back up for 6-8 weeks on my TRT only; then pullback and repeat his HIT once more with a lean bulk while cycling Deca or Tren & TRT.

This critique is intended to direct my focus during this first 6-8 weeks. Updates for the following 6-8, after a deload week, with cycle suggestions/recommendations, will follow with the updated progress pics.

Let’s see what I can do with your feedback on my first 6-8 weeks with a moderate TRT dosing for now.Attachment 173548

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I've replied to your pm - but will update here when I have time hope I helped
    IronClydes likes this.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey man first off thanks for posting pics and seeking our input. I do the same and believe it's a valuable tool. I'm going for the same type of physique except I would like to compete by the beginning of next year.

Anyway, my impression of your physique:

First thing that stands out is the lack of development in your legs compared to your upper body. So, using the priority principle, I would focus on leg development for the next few months to bring them up.

Your overall proportion is pretty good. Shoulders are a strong point, but you want to bring your medial delts out more to create more separation there. Also, biceps peaks are lagging so I'd focus on bringing those up as well. Abs are also underdeveloped as they should be somewhat visible even at higher bf %..Lastly, and especially because you're going for a classic physique, you gotta bring out those lats brother to establish that V taper. Strong shoulders coupled with nicely developed lats will create that appearance.

One thing I've been doing that has helped me achieve a better taper is lots and lots of wide grip pull ups. Also will help with core and bi's.

You have some good muscle on you though and I think you can def achieve the physique you're after. I wish you well on this journey! I've been consistently training again now for about a year and a half (after a long time off) and my body is unrecognizable compared to what I looked like before I set my mind to doing this for real! It's amazing what we can accomplish with hard work and dedication! Good luck brother.

*forgot to mention...your chest also seems to be a genetic strong point for you but you're lacking some upper chest development so you'll wanna focus on filling out the upper portion as well. All of this is my opinion, of course. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by AlphaMindz; 07-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    IronClydes likes this.

Weak-spot Critique Help

Plan updated below

As you can see from my progress pics, my legs have lacked RT due to a long mountain bike training and race season whereupon, in conjunction with 4-7 hours of intense bike training each week, it’s very hard to work in any RT without overtraining my legs and being unable to perform on the bike. This will explain why my hamstrings are so underdeveloped as I’ve trained intensely on the mountain bike which has maintained my quads for the most part, while my hammies have shrunken.

In my proposed plan, I built in exercises to address this and other weak spots identified via feedback so far: Back thickness, Biceps peak, Triceps size, Abs, Hamstrings, and possibly medial delts and back width.

Additionally, after 3-5 months of only biking and doing deadlifts for my legs, I have added in a higher rep leg RT session just after my Wednesday threshold bike session. Lower reps and too many compounds will interfere with my recovery while bike training. However, I am considering throwing a second day of hamstring curls in after another bike session, since those are in most dire need and least affect biking musculature already trained.
    Last edited by IronClydes; 07-25-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Hey man first off thanks for posting pics and seeking our input. I do the same and believe it's a valuable tool. I'm going for the same type of physique except I would like to compete by the beginning of next year.

Anyway, my impression of your physique:

First thing that stands out is the lack of development in your legs compared to your upper body. So, using the priority principle, I would focus on leg development for the next few months to bring them up.

Your overall proportion is pretty good. Shoulders are a strong point, but you want to bring your medial delts out more to create more separation there. Also, biceps peaks are lagging so I'd focus on bringing those up as well. Abs are also underdeveloped as they should be somewhat visible even at higher bf %..Lastly, and especially because you're going for a classic physique, you gotta bring out those lats brother to establish that V taper. Strong shoulders coupled with nicely developed lats will create that appearance.

One thing I've been doing that has helped me achieve a better taper is lots and lots of wide grip pull ups. Also will help with core and bi's.

You have some good muscle on you though and I think you can def achieve the physique you're after. I wish you well on this journey! I've been consistently training again now for about a year and a half (after a long time off) and my body is unrecognizable compared to what I looked like before I set my mind to doing this for real! It's amazing what we can accomplish with hard work and dedication! Good luck brother.

*forgot to mention...your chest also seems to be a genetic strong point for you but you're lacking some upper chest development so you'll wanna focus on filling out the upper portion as well. All of this is my opinion, of course. Hope it helps!
    Thank you brother!

The legs have lacked RT due to a long bike training season whereupon, in conjunction with 4-7 hours of intense bike training each week, it’s very hard to work in any RT without overtraining and being unable to perform on the bike. This will explain why my hamstrings are so underdeveloped as I’ve trained intensely on the mountain bike which has maintained my quads while my hammies have shrunken.

In my proposed plan, I built in exercises to address both yours and Marcus’s feedback. Additionally, after 3-5 months of only biking and doing deadlifts for my legs, I added in a higher rep leg RT session just after my Wednesday threshold bike session.

Please review and provide your feedback on the plan too!

Thanks again!

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Admirable of you to put this effort into culminating the knowledge you'll need to execute your plan.

Are you running gear or are you natty? I ask because that should be taken into account when designing your training regimen..

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    Admirable of you to put this effort into culminating the knowledge you'll need to execute your plan.

Are you running gear or are you natty? I ask because that should be taken into account when designing your training regimen..
    Thanks brother.

I only run low dose Tren (50 EOD) with my low-dose TRT (120/wk) when I Cycle. However, this training period is on TRT alone, no cycle.

Next 8 weeks will return to low-dose Tren or, I’m considering, Deca .

Weak-spot Critique Help

Updated plan (8/6/18)

*First exercise has 12-15 rep warm-up

*Every exercise has 8-12 rep ‘feeler’ set

*Every exercise has 1 working set of 6-8 reps to positive failure, followed immediately by drop-sets to absolute failure or rest-pauses sets (10 seconds) to absolute failure

Monday: Chest

Incline DB Press
    Landmine Chest Press (Kneeling)
    DB Bench Press
    DB Flyes
    Bent-Arm DB Pullover

Tuesday: Back

Bent Over BB Row
    One-Arm DB Row
    Seated Cable Rows (V-Bar low-pulley)
    V-Bar Lat Pulldowns
    Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown or Pull-ups
    Romanian Deadlifts (3 straight sets of 6-8 reps)

Wednesday: Cardio & Legs

Intense Threshold Bike Training Session
    Leg workout is done in a 3-set, volume oriented pump, 15-20, 12-15, 8-12, fashion to prevent overtraining with bike training
    Hamstring Curls (finish with r/p beyond failure)
    Leg Extensions
    BB Back Squat
    Seated calf raises

Thursday: Shoulders & Abs

Seated DB Press
    DB Lateral Raises
    Alternating front to side laterals (burnout sets)
    Seated DB Bent-over Lateral Raises
    Cable Face Pulls
    BB Shrugs
    Abs Circuit (2-3x)
    Landmine 180’s
    Ab Rollers
    Hanging Leg Raises
    Stomach Vacuum’s (20-60sec 3-5 times)

Friday: Cardio

VO2 Max/Intervals Bike Training Session

Saturday: Arms

Standing “Hanging DB” Concentration Curls
    Flexor Incline DB Curls
    DB Hammer Curls
    Seated Triceps “French” DB Press
    DB Lying Triceps Extensions “Skull-crushers”
    Close-Grip BB Bench Press
    Wrist Rollers

Sunday: Cardio

Endurance Bike Training Session

Last edited by IronClydes; 08-06-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Updated to prevent overtraining

Thread Information