Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Family_guy

Thread: Mind-Muscle connection non-dominant side

Family_guy is offline Senior Member

Mind-Muscle connection non-dominant side

I have noticed that I have a much harder time really getting a good contraction on certain lifts on my left side. Example- DB rows- when I知 doing the rows with my right arm(dominant hand) I can get a great contraction in my lat and upper/mid back but when I知 doing them with my left hand I struggle to get that same contraction. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Family_guy View Post
    I have noticed that I have a much harder time really getting a good contraction on certain lifts on my left side. Example- DB rows- when I知 doing the rows with my right arm(dominant hand) I can get a great contraction in my lat and upper/mid back but when I知 doing them with my left hand I struggle to get that same contraction. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?
    Its the evolution. Cavemen who had one superior throwing hand were more likely to survive than guys with equal two moderate throwing hands.
    Look at it this way. You are from a fit for life line!

Not bsing u.
    Workarounds are hard. I like to start with my weak side when energy is higher.

Sent fra min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I have noticed that I have a much harder time really getting a good contraction on certain lifts on my left side. Example- DB rows- when I’m doing the rows with my right arm(dominant hand) I can get a great contraction in my lat and upper/mid back but when I’m doing them with my left hand I struggle to get that same contraction. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?
    If necessary, drop the weight and really squeeze at the top of the row, keeping the elbow tight and pointed up. Once you find your connection, start working the weight up.
    Chrisp83TRT likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    What I like to do, immediately before, I will touch the spot I want to concentrate on. I will remember that feeling on the spot so it connects a physical sense to the muscle.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

That’s exactly what I do as well. I always do my left side first with all my DB exercises. I’m working hard on more symmetry

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try dropping the weight and focus on technique

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You could also use unilateral exercises where the entire focus is just on the weaker side. I'm actually having to do this at the minute

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    IM injection of lidocaine on dominant side.

Testlolblast is offline Associate Member
    Well, I have never had problems with connection(s) both arms produce the exact same strength during my workout sessions.

I am focusing a lot on unilateral exercises because my left arm especially is still a little smaller than my right. I have made progress on catching it up to my right side though by squeezing out a rep or two more with my left than my right. Thanks for the responses

Testlol thanks for your response as well. It’s not so much a strength thing as it is a difference in my contraction strength/focus on my left side. If that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    IM injection of lidocaine on dominant side.

Hahahaha! That just might work ��

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Cross your eyes while lifting.
    tarmyg likes this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Testlol thanks for your response as well. It’s not so much a strength thing as it is a difference in my contraction strength/focus on my left side. If that makes sense
    I know what you mean, you can't get the same feeling you worked the non dom side as hard as the other

Exactly

Hey obs I read your interview with marcus300. That was very interesting. It’s cool to learn more about you guys through those interviews as it’s much deeper than just talk about aas or bodybuilding.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Hey obs I read your interview with marcus300. That was very interesting. It’s cool to learn more about you guys through those interviews as it’s much deeper than just talk about aas or bodybuilding.
    Bear in mind I did not know about certain false accusations about a certain member at the time. I wish that part was removed.

Thank you though

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    I seem to have this problem and will usually hit the left harder for that pump, issue i usually have is my left side is weaker than right so overtraininng the left delt/bicep/triceps can be challenging

What can you do with this other than add more volume to weaker side?

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I close my eyes and really set my mind on my lifts ... I usually have better mind muscle connection on lighter weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information