Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yeahbuddy289

Thread: Squats and front squats all you need?

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Squats and front squats all you need?

So I finally got my gym equipment into my house from my parents house (only took three years lol) and I will still have to go the gym to train certain body parts as I just don’t have all the equipment I would like.

But I can never get a squat rack at the gym so I plan on doing legs at home in my rack. So all I’ll be able to do is regular squats and front squats. I have found front squats to be the only exercise that really make my quads sore. And doing regular squats destroy my hamstrings and glutes lol so really is there anything I’ll be lacking by just doing those two movements for legs?

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    So I finally got my gym equipment into my house from my parents house (only took three years lol) and I will still have to go the gym to train certain body parts as I just don’t have all the equipment I would like.

But I can never get a squat rack at the gym so I plan on doing legs at home in my rack. So all I’ll be able to do is regular squats and front squats. I have found front squats to be the only exercise that really make my quads sore. And doing regular squats destroy my hamstrings and glutes lol so really is there anything I’ll be lacking by just doing those two movements for legs?
    Squats (both front and back) are a quad dominant exercise. You can add some Romanian dead-lifts to get some hammy work. Standing barbell calf raises.... I think you should be good.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Other than working calves, add in deads, and if you have anything left in the tank after squats, throw lunges in the there.
    However, usually after lots of squats, the last thing anyone wants to do is deads, so you may want to split up quads and hams since you have easy access to your equipment.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Yeah i do calves on their own day because they are so bad I really try to kill them. I always feel squats in my glutes and hamstrings but I do wanna start hitting deadlifts again, if my back can take it

If your back is up to deads, but not heavier weights, try lighter d'bell deads with slow negatives to increase TUT.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

How do you guys feel about squatting/deadlifting without shoes?

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    I love my nike romaleos.
    The whole purpose of deadlifting or whatever without shoes is so you dont lose power due to the soles compressing. Get weightlifting shoes or one with a thin sole (like chucks), it will serve the same purpose. And you wont be the dude lifting without shoes on.
    Last edited by HoldMyBeer; 10-07-2018 at 05:35 PM.

For deads, I go back and forth between shoes and no shoes, for squats I wear an old pair of stiff@ss work boots.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    depends on if your quad or hamstring dominant , and which one of those you want to bring up .. if you want to activate more hamstrings and glute then squatting with no shoes or flat shoes and pushing through your heals works. IF you want to activate more of your quads then using a shoe with a stiff heal (like and olympic weight lifting shoe) and pushing through the center of your foot is better.

Definitely need to bring up quads... front squats have been awesome for hitting my quads. I just didn’t know if there was an advantage to no shoes such as making it easier on the knees or something.

Holdmybeer- I would definitely not be doing anything bare foot at a public gym! Lol this is for my home gym, where I plan on training legs.
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information